Mora Triflex Vs Mora Sandvik 12C27

I'm looking at getting a Mora Bushcraft Knife. I know they are inexpensive but I don't want to buy both.

I will be using it for normal backpacking chores. Heaviest use would be light battoning.

What is the difference between Mora Mora Triflex Vs Mora Sandvik 12C27 for my intended use?
Does one stay sharper longer than another?

I searched but could not find a definitive answer to my question. Most answers are that they are both great steels.

I've never owned a carbon steel blade.

http://www.ragweedforge.com/SwedishKnifeCatalog.html

Carbon steel blades (1095) are hardened to 58 - 60 on the Rockwell scale, stainless blades to 56 - 58. A speciality of Mora is the laminated carbon blade. This is a three part sandwich, with a core of high carbon steel protected by sides of tough lower carbon steel. The core of the laminated steel blades is 61-62. Normally, I prefer carbon steel over stainless steel, but I have to admit that the Swedish stainless (Sandvik 12C27mod for Eriksson, 12C27 for Frosts) holds an excellent edge. For use around water, especially salt water, it may be the better choice.

The Mora triflex is a good knife. I found that it was the easiest of the Moras that I own to clean up the bevels. It took me about 30 minutes using my inexpensive knife sharpening gear to get a good smooth edge on it. The triflex costs less than the similar knife with the Sandvik blade.
I own the 511 and the 546. It seems to me that the stainless is a little more difficult to sharpen. The metal does not seem to come off as fast. Perhaps the edge will be a little tougher and less prone to chipping.
For the price, both knives are a good deal. If the price for the Bushcraft Stainless was the same as the Bushcraft Triflex I would have gotten the stainless. Even if you keep your carbon knife stored in a dry location you should take it out and oil it once a year.

The Mora Bushcraft is a darn fine knife for a less than entry level price. You stated
you have never owned a carbon steel blade, reason enough to get one:)

I tried to put a patina on my triflex with mustard and vinegar. It didn't work very well (very light patina mostly only on the bevel) so I'm guessing that the blade is not going to have any issues rusting as long as you don't leave it in a puddle some where...

Also I used mine for kitchen duty for a few months, no problems with rust. Never had to sharpen it either.

Mora SS isn't all that bad to sharpen but it seems I can get my Mora Bushcraft Triflex just a bit sharper. I don't think you can go wrong with any of them though a 711G or 746G will do the same job for a bit less coin.

IMG_4656.jpg

Mora SS isn't all that bad to sharpen but it seems I can get my Mora Bushcraft Triflex just a bit sharper. I don't think you can go wrong with any of them though a 711G or 746G will do the same job for a bit less coin.

My experience with the Mora's SS vs. Triflex has been similar. I like the Bushcraft Triflex a lot and it has become my favorite hiking knife.

IIRC it's called triflex because it has been differentially hardened. That sounds like a good characteristic for a knife that might be used for batoning.

I have both, and the Triflex does stay sharp longer. However, the stainless is far from bad and I would definitely pick it if I'm going wet and humid places. My Triflex got a spot rust when I neglected it a bit, but it was only a little spot that cleaned up with 2000 grit sandpaper.

Checked with Mora kniv Sweden, and this is a quote about this steel:

" This steel grade is unique to knives from Mora of Sweden. The core of the blade is of high carbon steel surrounded by a softer alloyed steel layer. A high hardness (HRC 58-60) can be achieved through hardening, resulting in a knife blade with superior toughness, cutting edge retention and thereby maximum sharpness and long life.The blade can also be bent into a predetermined shape."

My Triflex definitely stays sharper longer than my 2000 but a while back on an extended camping trip that was WET, I found that it rusted in the sheath.

I absolutely neglected it so the blame is mine, but luckily it cleaned up just fine with minimal effort. No pitting, just a bit of brown/orange rust over a good deal of the blade.

Once I tackled the job and took care of it, I haven't had problems with corrosion much at all. Great knives.

For reference, Triflex blades are not laminated. They're made using some proprietary method to case-soften (rather than case harden) the outer skin of the knife. Mora does make laminated blades, but the Triflex blades are monosteel with a differential heat treatment.

Back