most reliable fixed blade for 50?

so i was looking for a bowie. it seems to buy one that is worth it i have to go past my 50 dollar limit. people recommended the buck 119, which seemed great then i read a few posts about handles and tips breaking. what is the hands down best for 50 bucks?

so i was looking for a bowie. it seems to buy one that is worth it i have to go past my 50 dollar limit. people recommended the buck 119, which seemed great then i read a few posts about handles and tips breaking. what is the hands down best for 50 bucks?

I will have to raise you price limit a lot to get into the more reliable knives.

At the min about double...

You really do get what you pay for.

If you use the Buck 119 like a knife should be used, you will not have a problem. For under $50 you are not going to get much better than a Buck 119. Those 119's are tougher that you may think. Go to your local Wally world and pick one up for around $40 and test it out. It has a lifetime warrenty so I really don't see where you could go wrong.

John

Another nod for the 119...just get one and treat it like a knife should be treated. I suspect there is a reason I have one in each car and the boat as well. As mentioned, the warranty of the Buck product is rock solid. You will not be an unhappy camper!

A Ka Bar plain edge 7" fighting knife in 1095 steel will set you back around 58 bucks if you look around. A stacked leather Bowie around 42 bucks.

Bill

I don't have a Buck 119, but I do have a Buck Nighthawk and wouldn't hesitate to recommend it. It's an extremely solid knife and, like the 119, has one of the best warranties in the business behind it.

(I should note that neither the 119 nor the Nighthawk is technically a Bowie. But they are reliable, relatively large fixed blades that are within your price range and should allow you to do pretty much anything you'd do with a true Bowie.)

You are not going to get a decent Bowie for $50, although Windlass Cutlery might sell you something that resembles a Bowie but is not sharpened or heat treated for about that price.

For $50 you can get a really nice sheath knife with a high carbon steel blade about 3" - 4" in length. A Bowie of acceptable quality will set you back about $200.

Nighthawk

b3ee2ef46b.jpg

Destruction test here
http://www.knifetests.com/page20.html

Gerber Big Rock Camp knife can be had for about $30. Good knife for the money, or Ontario Spec Plus. A Becker Campanion can be had for around $60, but more of a stout camp knife. Depends on the use really.

I might be misunderstanding what you mean by "Bowie".

A true Bowie requires a minimum blade length of 10", with 12"-14" being standard.

A utility/combat knife with a clip point may be referred to as having a "Bowie style" blade, but it is not a true Bowie knife.

Cold Steel true flight thrower. The Carbon V version is really an awesome knife for the $20 I think I payed for mine.

im sorry i miss spoke. i "was" looking for a bowie, but had been told 50 dollars buys nothing of value, so instead i am looking for a fixed blade under 50. the bowie ill be in the future when i have more expendable cash.

Gerber Prodigy, about $40 from LaPolicegear.com

Gerber LMF II for about $60, same place.

Becker Campanion, already mentioned

Cold Steel SRK, if you can get it as a second, about $50-$60

Cold Steel Master Hunter, $50-$60, also as a second (how I got both my SRK and MH, YMMV)

Good luck.

Al

The Boker Dozier knives look good for under $50.

This aren't bad for under $50, but I think if you want a quality knife you are going to have to spend a little more money. The Boker knives that are over $50 are a lot better. I think it will be worth it in the end to save up a little more and get something you will really appreciate.

Boker Knives

Back