My childhood dream came true this weekend!

Here in Alberta Canada, we've been having a weird and unusually warm winter. With the temps being on the plus side I thought I would check out and see if there was some garage sales and sure enough I found one. It was a hour drive away but it mentioned a box of their fathers hunting stuff including knives so I decided to drive up and see...Well I found one of my grail knives.

51%2BxN8wM76L.jpg

XVHeMHL.jpg

I was only 6 years old when this movie came out, but I remember a few years later renting and watching it at my best friends house. I knew nothing about knives but I remember thinking that it was the most awesome knife I had ever seen. I wanted one so badly but as a kid there would be no way I'd get away owning such a thing.

For over 30 years I had no idea what it was and I even had forgotten about it. Till one day a few months ago came across the movie and watched it again. And there was my childhood dream knife but what was it?
Well thankfully with the power of the internet I was able to finally find out what it was (There was a blade forums post about it) A Gerber TAC II.

I've been wanting one really bad the past few months. The problem though was now being an Adult I was having a hard time justifying it. Not only that every time one came up they were not exactly cheap. So I would talk myself out of it. Well this knife was so cheap I couldn't say no!

vHVjxiS.jpg

2SohPXA.jpg

aUkaGlI.jpg

Pl7J5Pt.jpg

This thing is AWESOME! I feel like it completely sums up the 80's for me...

But that wasn't the only knife...

ldBmAuN.jpg

I also picked up this cool vintage Russell Canadian Belt knife from I believe 1964. It's thanks to this forum that I even knew what it was as before coming here I never knew these even existed. I really like having a made in Canada legend like this.

XjDDeld.jpg

The handle is surprisingly comfortable

lv1VkBa.jpg

This thing is great for chopping into stuff. I can't wait to go camping in the summer with it.

HXMTNY0.jpg

The Tac II wasn't the only Gerber they had. I was also able to pick up this cool bolt action. I hear constantly how Spyderco ripped off Benchmade with the bolt action lock lol..No they didn't Gerber had bolt actions way back in the 80's! Really Gerber missed the boat with these, they should have updated them with a clip and a thumb stud as it's a great little EDC.

hFZ35Go.jpg

Not a great pic but I also picked up this 2nd Gen Mariner. I finally have a vintage Spyderco to ad to my Spyderco collection.

HjuhGGF.jpg

Last but not least I also got this interesting Gerlach knife that was made in Poland. I don't know any history about it yet, and it's way larger then it looks. The only issue is it takes an incredible amount of finger strength to unlock the blade LOL.

HjuhGGF.jpg

These date to the 60's - 80's usually. In the 70's, Camillus imported the brand for a while, but it didn't catch on. Later, a few other firms tried also. They quietly make nice knives. Sometimes they'll have a two digit year date stamped next to the name.

Here's their website, sadly they seem to concentrate on housewares now - https://gerlachshop.com/kitchen-knives .

Good stuff. Anyone having garage sales near Toronto lately would have froze to death.

I have quite a few Grohmanns, but that belt knife looks huge. :eek::thumbsup:

seriously, that Russell Canadian Belt knife is great, I really want it. I have to ask how lucky were you in the pricing for it?

You're making me want to get out to some garage sales, which I really never have time for.

HXMTNY0.jpg

The Tac II wasn't the only Gerber they had. I was also able to pick up this cool bolt action. I hear constantly how Spyderco ripped off Benchmade with the bolt action lock lol..No they didn't Gerber had bolt actions way back in the 80's! Really Gerber missed the boat with these, they should have updated them with a clip and a thumb stud as it's a great little EDC.

Absolutely awesome haul!

If you like that Bolt lock, you might enjoy this anecdote:

The Bolt lock was designed by the late, great Blackie Collins. He was a truly prolific inventor and back in the 80s did several knives with Gerber. A couple of them featured Bolt locks. As you know from your new knife, the action on the Gerber Bolt locks are smooth but stiff. They absolutely don't "flip out" or "fall shut." I just assumed this was inherent in the design or something.

Decades later Spyderco produces a Bolt lock as part of their Sage series (Sage 3). I finally decide to buy one just as they go out of production last year. Much to my surprise the thing flips just as easily as any Axis or Ball Bearing lock. I post my surprise about this in the Spyderco forums and Sal replies explaining how back in the day, Peter Gerber was concerned about being able to flip the knife open so Gerber deliberately designed it to be stiff.

How times have changed. :) Blackie was definitely ahead of his time.

HjuhGGF.jpg

These date to the 60's - 80's usually. In the 70's, Camillus imported the brand for a while, but it didn't catch on. Later, a few other firms tried also. They quietly make nice knives. Sometimes they'll have a two digit year date stamped next to the name.

Here's their website, sadly they seem to concentrate on housewares now - https://gerlachshop.com/kitchen-knives .

Thanks man, that's really good information. It's a little crude like a lot of Soviet products but I could tell it's actually quite a solid and capable knife. Plus I like the scales, I'm not 100% sure but it feels like Bakelite.

Good stuff. Anyone having garage sales near Toronto lately would have froze to death.

I have quite a few Grohmanns, but that belt knife looks huge. :eek::thumbsup:

It is huge!! I'm not sure how to measure the blade with the curve, but length wise it's just about the same size as the TAC II. It's also quite thick and has some heft to it. I'm no expert but I haven't come across too many vintage knives like it. In a way it's got all the features of many modern bush craft knives.

seriously, that Russell Canadian Belt knife is great, I really want it. I have to ask how lucky were you in the pricing for it?

You're making me want to get out to some garage sales, which I really never have time for.

Lets just say I got for far less then a modern Grohmann model 4 ;)

Back