My daily carry evolution

BigHutch

Gold Member
I've always carried a knife, always. If I've got pants on, there is a knife in the pocket (and if I don't it's probably beside me :D).

But for the past year I've been buying/carrying quite a few.

The evolution is as follows:

Benchmade Griptilian > Spyderco Manix2 > Pro-Tech TR-3 > Spyderco Native5 > ZT 0562CF

I'll stop right there for a little while.

Anybody else do this so quickly?

Grip, Crooked River, Endura, Buck 110, Rat 1, Police, and back to the Endura. It’s light, big, and has a 4 way pocket clip.

My evolution is so long, I honestly don't remember most of it... how sad is that. I can say it started with a Spyderco Endura, then I had some random Benchmade that had a Spyderco hole which had a fantastic design but I'm pretty sure it was Chinese made red line (I think?), then I had some other random stuff but it was also at that point I joined this forum. I started buying up all kinds of knives. ZTs, more Spydercos, more Benchmades. I remember I had a first production run BM Ares. I was obsessed with it and then it got stolen. It was onto the Spyderco PM2. Carried that exclusively for at least a year. Then it was a ZT0801. I was super into flippers then grew out of that. Back to Spyderco with a waved Endura, then a Yojimbo 2, a Starmate... some other stuff... too many... a Buck Vantage thrown in there... kind of brings us to more recent memory which the Spyderco Shaman has gotten a lot pocket time, BM Bugout, and now it's the ZT 0640. Whew. What a wild ride it's been. The 0640 has been so solid and smooth. Gonna be some stiff competition to kick that out of my pocket.

Mid 80’s
Colonial Coyote
Imperial lock back
Buck 501
A couple of Gerber Gators

The late 90’s
Buck Odessey
Buck Odyssey
CRKT something or another
CRKT M16-14SFG
Spyderco waved Endura
Spyderco K2

Last edited:
I know what you mean - those last 4 knives were just in the last few months. I carried a Kershaw Scallion and the Benchmade Griptilian for a LONG time. Got bit by the knife bug and here I am.

Reactions: BBW
Generally speaking, the evolution of my knife carrying is to smaller folders routinely now versus occasionally because that's generally all I need. Very seldom is the blade over 3.25" on a folder.

Been carrying a knife for a l-o-n-g time. A knife is part of me. My first good knife (from my point of view) was a Case Barlow. I still like slippies quite a lot and just recently purchased an older Case Barlow that is similar to what I carried as a kid years ago or my first good knife.

I still on occasion carry a modern knife, but slip joints are the most carried knives for me. They do everything I need to do in most cases.

I am to the point now that I really question whether I want to buy another modern knife. But I know I will if something catches my interest. But I pretty much am comfortable with what I own presently which will last several lifetimes.

This is evolution? I've been evolving since 1974 (I started carrying a knife when I was 8)

For the last few months yes. But no, not for the last 30 years or so. That is what I was referring to, my last few months have evolved a lot.

Reactions: BBW
wow, if I go back that far, the ubiquitous SAK as a kid, then a relative got me a cheap early 80s pakistani clone of a 112 (remember those? like every gas station had them back then)... I tried it cuz it was larger than my SAK, but after using it a few times went back to my SAK and never picked it up again, that stuff was downright soft

then in the later 80s I got a buck 112 (which must have been the 425M steel they used back then)
then a seki spydy delica in vg10 (whenever they started using that steel... was it early 90s?) I'm not even sure now if that was late 90s or when, anyone remember?

then of course I started trying a few different ones when the explosion of folders started after the millennium change, but usually edc'd the delica

of course, in the last dozen years it's been like an explosion, I'm not sure if it's fair to call it evolution so much as an... orgy? :eek:

for years and years, i carried whatever buck, case, OT slip joint was new to me

about 2005, I was gifted a buck mayo cutback and that was my EDC carry until 2017.
from 2017 until about a year ago I went though several, including a couple kershaws, a kizer, a buck, and then landed on a spyderco domino - thats been my EDC for about a year now and I dont see it changing anytime soon

For the last year or so I've bought....more. As for carry habits I would say I have about a Top 5 that I take with me to work that I switch out every other day, which Top 5 varies a bit too, usually the newest 5 with some exceptions.

I'm a cheap bastard, so I evolve sideways, not up (if price were rungs of the evolutionary ladder). I go from one $30 knife to another $30 knife. This hopefully ensures I use all of the knives without feeling guilty about dirtying up a safe queen.

For me my carry habits are directly proportional to how much time I spend on BladeForums...lol

usually I'm fine with what I've got and am carrying, but then I get on here and I usually find something I can't live without. Now my rotation keeps expanding to the point of where I'm selecting knives based upon what I expect to be doing for the day instead of just carrying the same type of knife daily if that makes sense.

Started with a Spyderco tenacious> mini griptilian > Ontario rat 2> paramilitary 2. My current EDC if I’m working and wearing jeans is a paramilitary 2 in S35VN in my front pocket a rat 2 in D2 in the back pocket and a CRKT minimalist around my neck. If I’m out in shorts it’s a native 5 salt and the minimalist

EDC is a Kershaw SpeedSafe. Retired and I don't need a knife that often.

That said, I've been a "knife nut" since I was about 6 yrs old. I could never afford much in a knife, traded a Soligen Austrian bayonet to a friend for a Case Trapper -- my first "quality" knife.

These days I can afford pretty much whatever I desire and so we have maybe 150 odd knives that are all
"safe queens" with sales receipts and original packaging.

I couldn't even begin to give you a list...although I think that
a CRK Zaan was a close beginner...and a good one.

Ive went through so many over tge years. This morning i have a inockout and a case stockman in my pocket. I always carried traditional knives, occasionally a modern folder when in the woods. I really began to carry modern knives because of some issues with shaking hands. Those issyes are gone for the most part, however i still carry one.
I began as a child with cheap knives,then a camilus,.oldtimer,and finaaly at 13 i was given a case knife it was like gold to me. Ive used many many knives over the years. Usually a case or a buck
For right now though my most carried is a knockout paured with a stockman.

Most of the time i just grab what interests me off my dresser as my EDC, but Here lately I have been trying the knives with pocket clips, my Buck 112 Slim Pro; Manly Wasp, Comrade, and Peak; AG Russell gentleman's hunter; and finally no clip but pocket sheath for my Opinel and Benchmade Proper. I carry mine in my left front pocket.
Then I go for small fixed blades to stick in my pocket, and have thought of using a horizontal sheath.

Carried a pocket knife since I was a boy. A lot of different one's I can't remember, I'm 74 so It's been a long time for some of them. Army had tl29'd for my job as a rigger, kept it when I got out. Police dept 20 years carried the tl early on I think then a buck 303 in the pocket and a 110 on my duty belt. After retiring I just carried different slip joints. I carried the a SAK centurian for about a dozen years with a wenger patriot and about six months ago put a
SAK huntsman in the centurians place but kept the wenger. Have them both with me every day now. Can't imagine life without a knife of sorts on me.

Back