My father’s stone

Lee D

BANNED
This is a Buck stone my father owned, my earliest memory of it was late 70s/early 80s (?)
He passed in ‘93, and I’ve had it boxed away for years. I’m thinking about displaying it, but I’m curious, is it collectible? I’m sure they made a ton of them, and I remember seeing them at farm auctions, but not so much anymore.
Value won’t matter, it was dad’s, and is very sentimental to me. I laugh now remembering him cuss up a storm trying to put an edge on Buck’s 440.
Just stumbled across it going thru a couple boxes of “junk”, and thought I’d share a couple pics.

[url=https://postimg.cc/wy4cMR5q][/URL]

I have my Dad’s stone. I’m 80, he passed in 78. The stone goes back to my earliest memories. He used the stone and I still use it regularly. I live in Missouri, we spend winters in Arizona. The stone is here now with me in AZ, I brought it along.

Last edited:
Lee D, welcome to the Buck forum. A Arkansas washita stone will struggle to sharpen 440C steel. To reprofile-- forget it. You'll need something like a coarse SiC stone. But for tuning up the edge on 420 steel or 425m steel it will work. A nice Buck early offered era stone. DM

OP, oddly enough, just yesterday my Brother and I found our Father's old Buck sharpening stone. I wanted it but I could see the way my Brother lit up that he really wanted it. Neat piece of history, no idea about value but I wouldn't be selling it. I like to keep using the tools he enjoyed in life.

Back