My long awaited mini recon 1 came today.

After looking this knife over and handling it, I would have to say this is a quality piece. I actually like the new construction (skeletonized liners) better than the older version ( pins into g-10). The stonewash blade is nice, I have the drop point version. Pocket clip is not rough on the pockets. Blade us nicely ground and has a nice factory edge as well. Lockup is fantastic, and grip fits my hand nicely. The only downside to this knife is that they put the stonewashed finish on the entire surface of the blade, so it is a bit rougher than it should be when engaging the lock bar. Not bad, and will wear in over time, but it's the only real problem I can find with it. I think I paid around $80 for it. It should do anything I need it to, and I feel it was worth the $$ and the wait.

Sounds like a winner too me, maybe down the road I may pick one up. The mini is light weight and flat I bet and would be a good edc.

After looking this knife over and handling it, I would have to say this is a quality piece. I actually like the new construction (skeletonized liners) better than the older version ( pins into g-10). The stonewash blade is nice, I have the drop point version. Pocket clip is not rough on the pockets. Blade us nicely ground and has a nice factory edge as well. Lockup is fantastic, and grip fits my hand nicely. The only downside to this knife is that they put the stonewashed finish on the entire surface of the blade, so it is a bit rougher than it should be when engaging the lock bar. Not bad, and will wear in over time, but it's the only real problem I can find with it. I think I paid around $80 for it. It should do anything I need it to, and I feel it was worth the $$ and the wait.

Can you post some pics if possible...would like to see the stonewashed finish and also get an idea of the handle texture.

First time I have seen that Logo (second picture in post #4) - compare it to the Logo on the Recon 1 (at the top of the picture). I wonder if all the 2021 Cold Steel items have that Logo - a 1 line "COLD STEEL" logo with a Line/Box around "COLD STEEL".

VS. the stepped "COLD STEEL" Logo on the Recon 1

Last edited:
That looks great. I'm debating whether or not to go ahead and get one. Any clue how it compares to the Lawman?

Thanks for the pics. I ordered the full sized Recon 1 (Tanto) and plan on getting the full sized clip & spearpoint too. Thinking about getting the mini clip point.

Sweet blade. I like that they went with AUS10. I've been enjoying my AUS10 knives, and it keeps the cost down.

Anyone else buy one of these and not receive a left side pocket clip? I’ve bought two (new) so far, and neither one has the lefty clip.

Anyone else buy one of these and not receive a left side pocket clip? I’ve bought two (new) so far, and neither one has the lefty clip.

Mine just came today and same thing. Didn't even dawn on me till I read your post. Mine also came in a Tanto box, and they put a Spear point sticker over the Tanto label.

Just got a clip point one . Very nice improvement over the original aus8 version. I'd say it's closer to the Airlite in terms of handle design or feel slightly smaller but heavier and shouter due to the partial liners. If you like the Airlite you will like this. Mine also came in s tanto box with no lefty clip and new blade logo. Got mine for under $60 at that place by the bay,not bad for that price but wouldn't pay more

Mine, compared to the Grik. Always liked how the Grik clip was plastic and as wide as the handle, but there's no denying that the mini Recon is more comfortable (to me). Also like the thumb stud better than the ramp. Don't mind the ramp on the larger GoldenEye, but never really cared for it on the smaller Grik.

Seems just about perfect for a ~$60 3" folder.

IMG_0540.jpg

Back