My new toy

Discussion in 'Gadgets & Gear' started by Psychopomp, May 15, 2013.

1. Psychopomp

Psychopomp

Feb 21, 2005
    Greetings all.

It's been a few years since I last posted here. Never lost my interest in knives, just lost my interest in the internet. But I bought a new toy yesterday and thought this would be a good place to show it off.

[​IMG]

It's a brand new Maverick 88 and I couldn't say no to it. I haven't gotten to put any rounds through it yet, but I did take the pistol grip off in favor of the standard stock. But that's where I'd like some advice or suggestions. I'm not a big guy and the stock is pretty good, but just a little too long to feel completely comfortable. I know there are a lot of pistol grip, adjustable stock options out there. What's the best for this gun? I'd like to keep it under $150 and still get some recoil reduction.

Thanks for any suggestions.

2. texas gun person

texas gun person

Jun 9, 2010
    Well you did the right thing in taking the pistol grip off because they royally suck on the Mav 88 and Moss 500. TBH, I have played around with stocks for my Moss 500... and yet it still wears the stock from the factory. A lot of the aftermarket ones either cost too much, or look better than they feel. It's no fun getting punched in the cheek by a stock that was half as much as the shotgun.

Now, I'm a decent sized guy who has thousands and thousands of shells through 12 gauge shotguns, so it would be harder for me to speak on equipment designed to make it fit me better, since most shotguns fit me alright out of the box. Now, how comfortable are you behind the gun? It could just be the unfamiliarity that is making you uncomfortable.

3. Psychopomp

Psychopomp

Feb 21, 2005
    That is true. I've bed around firearms all my life, but admittedly I've shot more rifles and handguns, and the only other shotgun I own is a .410.

I feel like my left arm needs to be bent just a little more when gripping the fore end. I'm only 5' 6". But I'm off on Friday and if the weather plays along, I'm planning a range trip, so we'll see. The factory stock may be prefect.

Now I'm looking for a new knife to compliment my new gun.

4. Sid Post

Sid Post

Oct 14, 1998
    Take it to a gunsmith who can do stock work. Have it shortened and put a recoil pad on it and call it good.

5. Psychopomp

Psychopomp

Feb 21, 2005
    I finally got to put some rounds through it last weekend and it shoots great, but I felt a little too stretched out in my left arm. So I picked up an ATI adjustable stock and now this gun fits like a glove.

For the money I've put in this gun so far, less than $400, I'm extremely impressed.

6. dakine

dakine

Jan 17, 2007
    Another option is a birds head grip. I have it on my 500 and love it. The regular pistol grip is always an awkward angle for me but this feels more natural.
    Also the grip is only 30bux so i consider it a deal.

[​IMG]

7. ElConquistador

ElConquistador Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 12, 2007
    ouch!

Last edited: May 30, 2013