Necker Up or Down?

I noticed Mr. Becker, among others, wears his necker handle up. Having two necker sheaths, I setup one with handle up and one down. In my relatively limited experience I am finding I prefer the way it carries with the handle down. Up might be less likely to have the knife fall out, but mine snaps in pretty solidly. Which do you prefer and why? Maybe I’m doing it wrong...

So, Ethan carries his in the stock sheath. It has good retention but it does degrade over time, so handle up he carries it to where it flips to handle down the correct way, and thus ensures he will not have to worry as much about the retention failing as his is a very well loved and used BK11.

Personally, I do my own kydex, so I know how well it will hold and worry significantly less about retention. I even have adjustable retention on most that I carry handle down.

Neither is right or wrong, just depends on individual preference and the sheath.

I wear mine down as well.

I wear mine with the handle down. The kydex did loosen up over time to the point that I was worried about retention. I heated the sheath back up and applied pressure. Problem solved.

I wear mine down. Easier access in my opinion. But I have had to modify a couple sheaths to get rock solid retention. The last thing you want is your knife pooping out and sliding down your chest and stomach.

To each his own, no right or wrong way.
I wear neck knives handle down but I prefer my 11 horizontal on my belt.

I was just being goofy one day...

017-2.png

The so called murder harness, haha:

If carrying for utility it doesn’t really matter. If it is for self defense handle down is the way to go.

I’d like to know how he carries it handle up? I once dropped mine on the floor while in line at a convinience/gas station. What an embarrassment when the pretty young girl in front of line to me picked it up and handed it to me!!

So, Ethan carries his in the stock sheath. It has good retention but it does degrade over time, so handle up he carries it to where it flips to handle down the correct way, and thus ensures he will not have to worry as much about the retention failing as his is a very well loved and used BK11.

Also to be considered is that having the opening of the sheath facing up more readily facilitate visual cues when re-sheathing - not that a handle/opening down cannot be flipped for re-sheathing, just ads an extra step.

If carrying for utility it doesn’t really matter. If it is for self defense handle down is the way to go.

I have to agree with this. For utility, re-sheathing is a function to be considered; for SD, re-sheathing is secondary to still being alive after UN-sheathing the knife!

Also to be considered is that having the opening of the sheath facing up more readily facilitate visual cues when re-sheathing - not that a handle/opening down cannot be flipped for re-sheathing, just ads an extra step.

I have to agree with this. For utility, re-sheathing is a function to be considered; for SD, re-sheathing is secondary to still being alive after UN-sheathing the knife!

If you want to you can always just turn a downward sheath upwards when you put the knife back in.

Obviously downwards sheaths retention is everything.

Back