Need a New Belt

I am in need of a new belt. After years of just using cheap leather belts to hold up my ever-growing number of EDC items, they just aren't cutting it anymore. I need a new nylon belt to be used pretty much everyday in jeans and what not. It will be used for EDC purposes as I said already and for other outdoor purposes such as at the shooting range and ATVing. It will need to be able to support pretty much anything I choose to hang on it be it a folder, fixed blade, mtool, occasional pistol and holster, or everything and more at once. I would like it to stay under the $30 price range, but will pay more for higher quality if needed. I have done some research and have came across some belts that seem as though they would fit the bill, but I have no experience with any of them, so I thought you guys would be the best bunch to ask. All recommendations are welcome!!!!

Last edited:
I love my Ares Gear Ranger belt. The Cobra buckle is great, but you have to remove one 1/2 to put it through your belt loops, then thread it back on. Otherwise, it's so stiff that my 40oz gun and holster doesn't even come close to flexing it.
Other belts are probably stiff enough, and less expensive. Look at..
Jones Tactical
Spec Ops

Thanks for the quick response! That Ares is a nice looking belt, but a bit too pricey for me. I have been looking at 5.11 and Specs Ops, but am more impressed with 5.11's stuff. The 5.11 Trainer Belt looks like it could be a winner, but it only comes in 1.5" widths. My ESEE 6 clip plate could fit a 2" belt easily and my XD and Glock mag holders have about a 1 3/4" belt loop, so it looks like I'd have to go with the 5.11 Operator belt so there isn't as much play while those items are mounted on the belt. Any thoughts on those two belts?

Last edited:
The 5.11 belts are not bad.Be sure to take the screws out and put lock tite on them.
I have been wanting to try a Saddleback belt,just have to make myself pony up 96.00.

I like the Bison Designs T-Lock belts in 30 and 38mm widths. The plastic buckles are great for flying.

I've worn a Galco Matrix belt for a few years now. It's a synthetic, leather-looking belt. I've worn it with both my 1911 and XDm, not at the same time though. I've also carried an extra magazine, cellphone, leatherman and fixed blade knife on it while carrying each gun. I'm happy with it. It has lasted almost 3 years. It's not a nylon belt but it's also not a leather belt. I've worn it while working construction in Florida during the summer and sweat doesn't bother it. It also falls into your price range.

Thanks for all of the replies! After some research of each of the different belt makers you all recommended, I think I'm going to go with the Wilderness Easy-Fit Original Instructor Belt in 1 3/4". It looks nicer than the 5.11 I was thinking of getting and is made in the USA. The only thing that will change my mind about purchasing a Wilderness belt is a bad review. Any thoughts on their belts?

No dog in this fight however 1.75" sounds wide for some of my belt loops..wear 1.5" in Galco Contour, The Beltman and Wilderness, all with stiffeners.

Thanks for all of the replies! After some research of each of the different belt makers you all recommended, I think I'm going to go with the Wilderness Easy-Fit Original Instructor Belt in 1 3/4". It looks nicer than the 5.11 I was thinking of getting and is made in the USA. The only thing that will change my mind about purchasing a Wilderness belt is a bad review. Any thoughts on their belts?

I have a 1.5 inch TI buckled wilderness belt.
It's 3 years old and worn every day, and it still looks brand new, although the Velcro hook on the tip will wear out (I have replaced mine once already)

The steel buckled one will be a little heavier, and will trip metal detectors (the Titanium one doesn't trip the metal detector at the local courthouse, and the wand has to be nearly touching it to register, part of the reason I love it !)

If you decide on a leather belt, maybe I can help....

misc282.jpg

I've worn a Galco Matrix belt for a few years now. It's a synthetic, leather-looking belt. I've worn it with both my 1911 and XDm, not at the same time though. I've also carried an extra magazine, cellphone, leatherman and fixed blade knife on it while carrying each gun. I'm happy with it. It has lasted almost 3 years. It's not a nylon belt but it's also not a leather belt. I've worn it while working construction in Florida during the summer and sweat doesn't bother it. It also falls into your price range.
So basically it's a stiff, tough version of a pleather belt? I'm intrigued!

I actually just made one of those with the ripcord sinnet. Took me about an hour and a half, not that hard.

thats a cool paracord belt rev. i think when i wear out my leather belt i have now i'm going to get me a paracord belt. i think it would outlast any leather belt made :D. plus if paracord gets wet it wont shrink or dry out and crack.

Back