Need Help Choosing a Colour? Look here!

Hey guys,

I'm in the middle of deciding what colour to get for a classic briefcase and satchel and was interested in hearing your opinion on why you chose the colour you did for your bag, wallet, belt, etc. I thought this would be a helpful thread for prospective buyers to hear why some of us chose a specific colour.

I currently only own the tow belt and chose the tobacco brown colour because it looked the least plain and I figure it would develop the most patina. Since I wear jeans almost every day and wear the same belt every day I wanted something that would change colour over the years and really give it that feel of being my own.

Here's a list of why I like or don't like each colour:

Chestnut
+Looks more formal/refined
-Maybe too formal of a colour for a bag I would use everyday wearing jeans

Tobacco Brown
+Really casual feel
+Develops patina
-Can make the bag look like it's a woman's bag; especially the satchel (according to my sisters)

Dark Coffee Brown
+Looks rugged and refined
-Maybe too dark

Carbon Black
-It's just not my thing :)

In choosing the colour for the bag I was initially set on going with the chestnut for the classic and TB for the satchel. Right now though I'm thinking about going with DCB for both (though I kind of don't want them to both be the same colour). I'm leaning toward the DCB because it feels like it has that right balance of looking a little refined but also quite casual. If I do go with two different colours I think it will be DCB for the classic and TB for the satchel. Anyway, I'm just thinking out loud

I'd love to hear why you guys chose what you did.

Hi,

My messenger bag is Dark Coffee Brown, and, in my opinion, that is the best color. As you said, it is rugged and refined. And it really is not too dark. Over time, it will lighten slightly. It is like a rugged version of Chestnut, which, I agree, is too formal. For me, DCB looks best originally, and wears the best.

Either the tobacco or coffee brown. In the photos I've seen, the tobacco ages better. However, i would agree that it's less "formal," though, I've yet to be in a scenario where my rugged looking briefcase needed to be formal.

I have the tobacco brown large satchel and like it very much. I rarely carry it so it has not started the aging process but I look forward to a worn look.

For you guys that have multiple pieces, do you match all of them or do you get a variety of different colours?

However, i would agree that it's less "formal," though, I've yet to be in a scenario where my rugged looking briefcase needed to be formal.
I'm starting to have the same feeling. I still do really like the chestnut colour but the TB and DCB just seem to fit the look more.

I have a Large Briefcase in DCB and I still love the color after 4 years of daily use. A couple of years ago I bought a large billfold in TB and it is now almost the same color as my briefcase just with more "depth" to it. I have used Obenauf's oil on it several times as I wanted to give it more protection as I sweat a lot and it has seen use in some dusty and messy construction environments. that is what darkened it so deeply. I love it.

I have a Large Briefcase in DCB and I still love the color after 4 years of daily use. A couple of years ago I bought a large billfold in TB and it is now almost the same color as my briefcase just with more "depth" to it. I have used Obenauf's oil on it several times as I wanted to give it more protection as I sweat a lot and it has seen use in some dusty and messy construction environments. that is what darkened it so deeply. I love it.
That's pretty interesting. Would you mind taking a picture of the two of them side by side?

Back