1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2. Week 39 of the BladeForums.com Year of Giveaways is live! Enter to win a Cold Steel Tuff Lite & Cold Steel Prize Pack

Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win a Cold Steel Knives Tuff Lite & Cold Steel Merch Prize Pack , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!
    Be sure to read the rules before entering, and help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread!

Entries will close at 11:59PM Saturday, Sept 28 ; winners will be drawn on Sunday @ 5pm on our Youtube Channel: TheRealBladeForums. Bonus prizes will be given during the livestream!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here
  3. Week 38 drawing for the BladeForums.com 20th Anniversary Year of Giveaways live stream, going on from 5-6PM eastern!!
    Tune in to our YouTube Channel, http://www.youtube.com/TheRealBladeforums, we'll be drawing winners for BladeForums.com merchandise & the grand prize:
    a Kizer 1034A1 Gingrich Bush Knife & Ka-Bar Dozier Folding Hunter , along with BladeForums branded gear!

Additional prize(s) will be awarded to people in the livestream chat, so watch for your chance to win bonus prize(s)

Need recommendations: Going hunting

Discussion in 'General Knife Discussion' started by soliddawn, Nov 3, 2018.

1. soliddawn

soliddawn

Jul 1, 2014
    A buddy of mine, ex marine is going hunting in January and knowing me as the knife nut, asked for recommendations for a good fixed blade.

I've actually never been hunting and have never skinned any animals so I come to you gents, fellow knife nuts, for some help.

Only needs are $200 budget, fixed blade, he isn't looking to use it exclusively as just a skinner so some versatility will be good. He isn't picky about handle material, or steel.

Also, excuse any ignorances in my post. Fixed blades I own tend to be smaller edc sizes used for food prep/yard & house work & small outdoors tasks.

2. Stephen W Huyssoon

Stephen W Huyssoon

May 31, 2018
    Look at the Buck 101 Hunter. Not too big or small.

MolokaiRider and soliddawn like this.
  3. FN in MT

FN in MT

Apr 5, 2015
    FWIW....I have gutted and skinned a mess of deer and elk. I have always used a 3-4 inch blade. A skinner blade design is great for all of it. Though a std drop point works great too.

I have gone to the razor inserts...the knives are cheap, the insert dulls, toss it and install a new one.

A Buck personal is pretty perfect, especially for deer/antelope. All You need. Don't overthink iit...anything sharp in the 3-4 inch range is fine.

soliddawn and Night Rider like this.
  4. 22-rimfire

22-rimfire Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 20, 2005
    Buck Vanguard 192 that is sold by Cabelas (Alaskan Guide Series) would be my initial suggestion. You get a little better steel and to me a generally nicer knife for the extra bucks over the standard Vanguard. There are a lot of choices available under $200. I would suggest he carry a folder along with him as well.

Hard Knocks and soliddawn like this.
  5. soliddawn

soliddawn

Jul 1, 2014
    Right on everyone, I appreciate the suggestions. Now I'm off to look some up. :thumbsup:

6. MolokaiRider

MolokaiRider Gold Member Gold Member

Sep 13, 2017
    It kind of depends on what game he will be hunting.

Birds will require a different blade style than deer. Same with rabbit and smaller game.

For a larger animal, having a blade that offers good grip when bloody and good belly helps quite a bit.

I also like having steel that offers good enough edge retention to clean the animal without dulling, and avoid chipping in bone. CPM 3V is great from my experience. Also a blade in the 3,4,or 5 inch range works well. It’s also nice to have a sheath that’s easy to clean to remove all the coagulated blood and hair.

For birds or smaller game I like using a thinner flexible blade. I use the small Martinni filet knife for this and have had good results. A bird and trout design would also work well.

Good luck in your search!

soliddawn and Kiteman72 like this.
  7. Kiteman72

Kiteman72 Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 22, 2015
    I upgraded to a Cross Knives "Trapper" in 3V last year and will be sticking with it this year as well. I am aware it is out of your budget (I think mine was $250) but since MR mentioned 3V, I wanted to chime in. Came with a really nice sheath.
    Have fun looking!

soliddawn and MolokaiRider like this.
  8. Henry Beige

Henry Beige Gold Member Gold Member

Jun 1, 2015
    Dexter-Russell 5” fish knife, with a Ka-Bar sheath (the smaller one in the photo). Probably more knife than he needs, but it won’t cost him much.

E8BA7587-1542-4BE9-B2F3-72EC4B32867D.jpeg

9. soliddawn

soliddawn

Jul 1, 2014
    He plans on hunting boar, only. So definitely will look for better edge retention in steels, great point.

10. MolokaiRider

MolokaiRider Gold Member Gold Member

Sep 13, 2017
    Is he hog hunting with a rifle/shotgun or using a knife only?

Knife hunting will require a longer blade that pierces well and also keeps your hand secure that keeps your hand from sliding forward while pushing the knife into the game.

soliddawn and JJ_Colt45 like this.
  11. JJ_Colt45

JJ_Colt45 Gold Member Gold Member

Sep 11, 2014
    It will definately depend on this ^ ... is he wanting a knife capable of processing wild boar? ... or is he planning on hunting wild boar with dogs and a knife to kill the hogs?

If he wants a good inexpensive knife to field dress and skin then a Buck Vanguard is a good choice for low budget ... but boar hide is very hard on knives so something with more edge retention might be better ...

if he is planning on killing wild boar with a knife he will need a good 10" to 12" with a good point and not too tall of a blade to penetrate ... there are some dedicated knives just for that ...

but hard to recommend without knowing more specifics on his intended uses.

soliddawn and MolokaiRider like this.
  12. GatorFlash1

GatorFlash1 Gold Member Gold Member

May 28, 2012
    This is my hunting knife for many years and it does what you need from a hunting fixed blade. The Spyderco Bill Moran drop point has a great grip, perfect blade length, price is right,

soliddawn likes this.
  13. Hard Knocks

Hard Knocks Gold Member Gold Member

Oct 1, 2012
    The Lionsteel M4 might deserve a look. Great little knife and can be had in M390 steel with enough left over in the budget for a tank of gas. You're not going to be pig-sticking with it though lol, it's small.

Edit: Added picture. The knife on the right is the Lionsteel.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 3, 2018
  14. Smaug

Smaug Gold Member Gold Member

Jun 30, 2003
    A 3" with drop point will do nicely.

No need for fancy steels; it's not about hacking into bone. It's about cutting skin and muscle.

I have an old USA Gerber full Tang drop point that I use. I got it probably 15 years ago.

soliddawn likes this.
  15. fishiker

fishiker

Nov 5, 2006
    Backwoodsfiero and soliddawn like this.
  16. soliddawn

soliddawn

Jul 1, 2014
    My first question for him as well (of course like a dumbass I forget to include it here) but he's hunting boar with a rifle and wants a knife that he can take with him that he would then use to skin the boar

17. mushka

mushka

Jun 27, 2018
    The last two wild boars I gutted and skinned I used a single bladed swiss army knife that was called the cowboy. Had a 3-1/2 blade. sharpened up between the first and second hog. They don't make that knife anymore, haven't for a long time. It doesn't take much of a knife as long as it'll keep an edge.

soliddawn likes this.
  18. soliddawn

soliddawn

Jul 1, 2014
    That spyderco is pretty appealing as well as the lion steel. Great options to show him.

As for the knife makers section here on the forum, I think I'm going to end up looking at options for myself :D

Again, I highly appreciate the input

19. Velitrius

Velitrius Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 3, 2000
    soliddawn likes this.
  20. gadunz

gadunz

Dec 4, 2012
    Svord again, sorry.
    Combined sticker/skinner if the pig's still writhing from a wound shot & the tracking dog's too close
    [​IMG]
    Hunter 7
    Model 280h
    Length of Blade (inches) 7"
    Over All Length (inches) 12"
    Blade Shape Hunter
    Handle Material Mahogony and Brass
    Steel Specifications 15N20
    Blade Thickness (mm) 3mm
    Sheath Leather

Skinner,from pigs to bison
    [​IMG]