Need recommendations on someone who could clean up a Busse SHBM.

Status
Not open for further replies.

jeepin

Gold Member
So I finally got my dream Busse which I just bought off here.

Once I received it I was very dissapointed in its condition.

(The guy did say he would take it back but I won’t be able to find another as cheap so I’m keeping it)

In the ad He said it was stripped and there was some small marks on both sides of the blade but he failed to mentioned that these marks were actually tiny pits that didn’t get completely sanded out when it was made.

Also I guess he used sandpaper to finish removing the coating which left both sides of the blade completely scratched and it looks like dog S$$t.

The last thing is the swedge is ground a little uneven, and for a knife of this price it should be perfect.

Im hoping someone can recommend a knifemaker that would do the work on this fairly cheap?

The scratches are light so it won’t take much to remove them, not sure about the tiny pits.

Barry H

Gold Member
Can you post pictures of the knife? Sometimes an aggressive bead blast can "hide" slight imperfections. Or, you could see about contacting a knife maker than can regrind the blade. Josh from Razor Edge Knives used to do regrinds, not sure if he still does or not, but you could reach out to him.
Also, you are asking for a fair (actually alot) amount of work for "fairly cheap". Not sure how that is going to work out for you.

lieferung

Basic Member
I believe there is a maker in the Custom Services Offered section of the exchange who recently offered his regrinding services. Only caveat is he's in Canada.

tinfoil hat timmy

Gold Member
if it's an original shbm the swedge may not be even because those were all hand ground IIRC so that may just be how it got to him.

if it's a ASHBM I'd send it to Jerry at the shop.

mqqn

Gold Member
Hi jeepin jeepin

A lot of the trough-dwellers like the look of the pits on strippers (dirty dogs they are) - the shop does not take as much care on the finish for the coated blades as you are seeing.

As to the grind, if it is a factory grind, you might want to talk to Garth and see what they could do at the shop.

Keep in mind their shop is not a week or two turnaround, but I have been very pleased with their attention to my old Busse knives in the past.

Good luck and best regards -

mqqn

Twindog

Gold Member
The pits would require taking off a lot of metal. The swedge is not important (without seeing a photo).

The finish you can do yourself, with the right technique and a little sandpaper.

Try a search on YouTube for: how to get a satin finish on a knife blade

The top one by Gough is pretty good.

Just use the heck out of it and don't agonize over tiny imperfections. That's what heavy duty knives like Busse are made for.

jeepin

Gold Member
I just tried to do pics but my camera sucks.
And I know it’s meant to be a user knife but I’m anal about things like this LoL.

Status
Not open for further replies.