Need Stick Info

Hey guys, I'm starting an Arnis/Eskrima class here in Iraq at Joint Base Balad. I currently have 6 guys training from my Infantry platoon and we need sticks. Due to space limits, I could only sneek 2 pairs of sticks and 2 training knives in my gear. I need to find some cheep rataan sticks. I&I has some for $5.50 ea plus shipping and was wondering if anybody knows any place selling them for less? We are calling ourselves the Balad Kali Group, and will be training mostly in Manaois Eskrima with some Modern Arnis and Silat thrown in.

I'm not begging for anything, as we are grown men with paychecks, but if anybody wants to donate sticks, e-mail me at: darrell.kaiser@us.army.mil
We only need six or seven pair right now until work gets around and some new guys drop in to start training. Personally I'd rather have sticks than cookies and tooth paste in a care package.:D

SFC Darrell Kaiser
Joint Base Balad, Iraq

I&I sticks are about the cheapest I have been able to find online. They do usually need some minor trimming around the nodes when you get them (which you can do with about any sharp knife). Most of them tend to be on the small side in weight and diameter but they're usually decent for full-contact work. Occasionally you will get a nice and heavy stick in the batch. If you plan on doing some hard hitting, don't forget to ask for several rolls of electrical tape too!

BTW, I have a few pairs of KIL (bloodsport dot com) sticks that are nice. The best part about his sticks is you can order what diameter you want. But, they are a little more pricey as they are trimmed, hardened, and ordered to your specific size.

Maybe if you email and ask, I&I may give you guys a military discount. Watch yer six.

Darrell I can't Email you for some reason, but I have sticks for trade, they are skin on rattan some with burn lins some without about seven pairs I think,

if your intrested email me at jswade@sympatico.ca

I bought a bunch awhile back and the guys at the club are still using the first sets they bought...

take care
jimi

Frank's Cane sells good sticks at very good prices. You should be able to get them at well under $4.00 per stick (the last bundle of 26 sticks I bought for my classes ran about $4.00 per stick including shipping the bastons from the West Coast out to my Ohio school). They are law enforcement/military friendly and good people to deal with all around.

Here is the link:

http://www.franksupply.com/rattan_poles.html#rattanwithskin

Frank's Cane sells good sticks at very good prices. You should be able to get them at well under $4.00 per stick (the last bundle of 26 sticks I bought for my classes ran about $4.00 per stick including shipping the bastons from the West Coast out to my Ohio school). They are law enforcement/military friendly and good people to deal with all around.

Here is the link:

Thanks for that link. May have to check them out.

Here is the link:

Excellent link KaliGman, thanks!

Frank's is a great link.

Also useful is Bamboo and Rattan Works, Inc. on the East Coast:

http://www.bambooandrattan.com/catalog/specialty.htm#arnis

Don't bother with the "laquered" cane service. Just use 'em, abuse 'em, and toss 'em. Having them sand the canes is helpful. Wrapping black electrical tape helps prolong their life when they start shredding - but not by much.

I find that the 7/8" - 1" diameter works better for me than 1" - 1 1/4", but that's just me.

Best,

Steve

Thanks for all the info guys. For some reason BF is restricted on the military filtered internet we get. I have to go to the main MWR computer lab to get on. I should'nt complain, we did'nt even get internet on the base I was at until about 6 months into my first tour back in 04.

Back