1. BladeForums has ZERO TOLERANCE for extremism or calls of violence. We request your assistance dealing with this as we do not want to see the site shut down due to violent threats. Please see this thread here in Tech Support: https://www.bladeforums.com/threads/bladeforums-has-a-zero-tolerance-policy-towards-threats-of-violence-extremism-be-warned.1769537/

NEVER cut yourself????

Discussion in 'General Knife Discussion' started by scdub, Nov 21, 2020.

1. bdmicarta

bdmicarta Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 16, 2012
    I had a bad cut about 25 years ago, only a couple of minor nicks since. I'm a lot more prone to cut myself on random things in my workshop or doing some woodworking. I worked as a mechanic for 6 years so I'm no stranger to cuts and abrasions. These days I see mechanics frequently wearing gloves, when I was a mechanic that was unheard of and even now I only wear gloves for certain things.

jfk1110 and AndrewH60 like this.
  2. elde66

elde66 Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 22, 2019
    I'm ashamed to say - probably weekly. I'm constantly working with, or working on, knives. Honestly, I buy bandaids by the case, not the box.

Steven65 likes this.
  3. Monofletch

Monofletch Basic Member Basic Member

Jan 14, 2010
    Any time there is a zip tie involved......

scdub likes this.
  4. afishhunter

afishhunter Basic Member Basic Member

Oct 21, 2014
    I have no idea how many times I been cut accidentally (never intentionally, BTW) over the last 60 years. I never kept track. I believe the last time I accidentally cut myself was a couple years ago, closing a Cold Steel Kudu with a extra strong spring. (stiffer than my other Kudu and Eland, anyhow.) They've never bit me, and I've had and used them longer.

5. chalby

chalby

Nov 8, 2020
    Frankly, I wouldn't believe anyone who uses knives even semi-regularly hasn't cut themselves. I've never had stitches from a self-inflicted cut though.

6. chuko

chuko Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 22, 2007
    Yep. Cut on cuts on cuts. Used knives in pretty much every environment available to me from super wet and cold to dry as bones and hot as the desert and everything in between. There is always a chance to put a blade to skin. I used to say if the knife didn’t get you it wasn’t really your knife.

jfk1110 likes this.
  7. marchone

marchone Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 13, 2013
    The absolute worst is when you're slicing a large basket of white mushrooms and take the tip of a finger off.

You cannot find it in the pile.

;)

scdub, Steven65 and powernoodle like this.
  8. powernoodle

powernoodle Power Member

Jul 21, 2004
    [​IMG]
    Spyderco Military.

9. pwest

pwest

Apr 10, 2013
    I was recently trying to select among the many blade options available for a Microtech UTX-70 and decided that the risk of accidental injury imposed by the double edge options outweighed their ‘cool factor’.

10. Steven65

Steven65 Traditional Hog Platinum Member

Mar 11, 2008
    That's a "YES" is it??:D:D

scdub likes this.
  11. scdub

scdub Basic Member Basic Member

May 29, 2004
    Daywalker huh? Is that a real person or am I missing the joke?

Excellent advice that I won’t take until I cut myself while training with a live blade - I’ve already apologized to my wife in advance for one day probably having to drive me to the hospital with one of my fingers in a bag of ice...

Lol - yes. One of my friends stabbed a folder about 2” into her arm cutting zip ties. I see a zip tie, I slow WAY DOWN.

DangerZone98 likes this.
  12. GAGL

GAGL

Jan 1, 2016
    its a reference from the movie "Blade" :)

13. T.L.E. Sharp

T.L.E. Sharp Freedom for @Fullflat!!! Platinum Member

Jun 30, 2016
    I've been cut more doing knife maintenance than using a knife as intended. Either while putting one back together (because I'm too lazy to tape the blade) or during the sharpening process. Usually because I've got the stones or whatever too close to the actual workspace and end up glancing the blade while reaching for something.

Those injuries aside, I still probably give myself a minor cut at least once a year while just doing basic tasks. When you've got kids, dogs and other variables flying around basic knife safety is bound to escape you eventually.

14. T.L.E. Sharp

T.L.E. Sharp Freedom for @Fullflat!!! Platinum Member

Jun 30, 2016
    I've been petitioning Leatherman to make a smaller multitool with wire snips as the main tool instead of pliers or scissors for years now. Specifically for zip ties.

We use them constantly at work, but I rarely have use for pliers. The scissors on something like the Micra aren't quite up for the task. If they made a juice or a skeletool with a good a set of snips I'd carry it 7 days a week.

15. soc_monki

soc_monki Basic Member Basic Member

Apr 5, 2019
    Channelock make inexpensive, but awesome, diagonal cutters. Get a pair and use them instead. Using knives to cut zip ties sucks. And I cut a LOT of zip ties (electrician).

16. dsutton24

dsutton24 Gold Member Gold Member

Apr 9, 2018
    Oh yeah, mid 70s. I had a Gerber FSIII. If I snapped it open with some force, the lock would jam, and the knife was very difficult to close afterward. I got in the habit if flipping the knife around and tapping the lock on my boot heel to unlock it. One time I came to the aid of a damsel in distress. I whipped out my knife, cut open a package. flipped the knife around to close it, and stabbed myself in the back of the thigh.

Yes, I'm that cool.

jfk1110 and Skidoosh like this.
  17. scdub

scdub Basic Member Basic Member

May 29, 2004
    Copy that - I have to watch that one again - been awhile... :)

18. DangerZone98

DangerZone98

Dec 7, 2019
    Don’t hurt yourself too bad man, lol. Stay safe. Karambits in particular are fucking vicious.

scdub likes this.
  19. tiguy7

tiguy7 Gold Member Gold Member

Jun 25, 2008
    I have managed to get the job done with knives and other tools. I am glad that I do not suffer from hemophilia.

20. Houlahound

Houlahound Basic Member Basic Member

Aug 2, 2017
    I opened a packet of smoked salmon with my Luzon while driving and stabbed myself bigly in the finger joint.

The smoked salmon was marvellous, the Luzon is very stabby and my finger hurts. I swear I felt the knife point touch the bone, I think it's infected.

Last edited: Nov 23, 2020
    scdub likes this.