New Al Mar line-up sneaked on Blade HQ

Discussion in 'General Knife Discussion' started by bouddha0357, Sep 10, 2019.

1. bouddha0357

bouddha0357

Jan 23, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 10, 2019
    mwhich50 and Dadpool like this.
  2. Hackenslash

Hackenslash Platinum Member Platinum Member

Jul 25, 2014
    It’s nice to see Mar knives being made again but it kinda yuck that the new SEREs are all assisted open. Looks like they’re going with more FRN or GFN handles rather than micarta or G10.

I’ll have to check out a new Falcon when they hit the streets.

3. LastRodeo

LastRodeo Platinum Member Platinum Member

Nov 2, 2013
    I would be very interested in a Falcon at $100.

4. BMCGear

BMCGear Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 4, 2014
    8cr and D2. These look to be Chinese. Possibly made by Kershaw?

5. LastRodeo

LastRodeo Platinum Member Platinum Member

Nov 2, 2013
    I'm interested in the classic collection, aus-8, it would be be a pleasant surprise if they are made in Japan.

WValtakis likes this.
  6. Quiet

Quiet "That guy" Platinum Member

Oct 11, 2013
    Well, the prices will certainly be more in line with what you're getting on those SEREs, at least. I remember last year at BLADE, there was a rep at their table and they had a SERE 2000 and they wanted like $440. I actually laughed and said "Nope, have a great day."

Wunderbar, tyyreaun and WValtakis like this.
  7. Hackenslash

Jul 25, 2014
    I think we had a thread here somewhere about new AM knives coming that were manufactured in China. I think the Japanese manufactured AMs are not going to be made any more..

I don't believe Kershaw is involved with these, although the AM-3 is a nice knife it were fully manual.

8. BMCGear

BMCGear Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 4, 2014
    I missed that thread. I wasn't sure if they had a partnership going because Kershaw produced the Al Mar flipper for them.

9. Hackenslash

Jul 25, 2014
    bouddha0357 likes this.
  10. mwhich50

mwhich50 Basic Member Basic Member

Jan 18, 2011
    Wow, a reasonably priced Eagle?! Maybe my lonely Sere 2000 will finally get some company. I won't get my hopes up too high.;)

I would rather they just lower their prices about 30%. I would snag an Ultra-lite Eagle, and HD Eagle in a heartbeat.

Last edited: Sep 10, 2019
  11. Gravy

Gravy

Dec 16, 2014
    58rc 8cr :confused:

12. halden.doerge

halden.doerge I'll Sharpen Your Knife Gold Member

Aug 17, 2014
    A TI framelock Eagle/Falcon/Hawk line is a fantastic idea. Not crazy about the China D2, but the prices aren't bad all things considered. Very interested to see some pics of these new fellas.

bouddha0357 likes this.
  13. unwisefool

unwisefool Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 22, 2007
    I've been pretty happy with the Nemesis Al Mar designed knife that I have. S35vn and less than $100

Screenshot_20190809-151145__01__02.jpg

kreole, Shorttime and bouddha0357 like this.
  14. Stelth

Stelth

Jul 15, 2007
    Another once-loved brand off my list.

jeepin likes this.
  15. Fletcher.357

Fletcher.357

Jul 6, 2013
    This is sad. I despise assisted openers. I wont buy china made knives. I got excited for a minute because I thought I was going to get to buy another SERE folder after I stupidly sold my VG 10 model years ago.

AntDog, Stelth and jeepin like this.
  16. Mitchell Knives

Mitchell Knives Knifemaker Moderator

May 21, 2000
    I don't think anyone is going to be interested in these if they are made in China.

17. bouddha0357

bouddha0357

Jan 23, 2013
    https://grebenschikova.livejournal.com/1322348.html

If you look at this link you will see the new Quicksilver with a 5" blade. There are two versions of it, the regular one as well as Damasteel version.

Edge Technologies Engineering LLC is a bit of a mystery company for me. The CEO's name is John Anton so hopefully the company is American and the production is in China.
    Also if you look at Melissa Backwoods' Instagram you will see her with a Quest Kukhri and a Stinger in Black and Green.

The Quest looked like the 90's version and I thought at the time that it was new old stock.

They are clearly aiming for a few things there in terms of range:

- 40th Anniversary knives (Quiksilver and Sere 2020) $720 and $70
    - Classic line with Honey Jigged Bone handles and Aus-8 ranging from Eagle to Hawk $128 to $92
    - Two Big quest knives (14" and 10") in D2 steel and TPR (Thermo Plastic Rubber) like they were in the 90's at $360 and $320
    - Al Mar Sere Operator 6" and 3" and Eagle Operator 4" with G10 handles $240 -$106.40 and $188
    - A regular Ultralight line ranging from Eagle to Hawk in 8Cr13MoV and FRN handles. Flippers, framelocks. $52 to $44
    - A "deluxe" Ultralight line ranging from Eagle to Hawk in D2 with Titanium handles. Flippers, framelocks. $188 to $136
    - Al Mar SERE and Mini SERE 2020 in 8Cr13MoV with Black, OD Green and Coyote GFN handles. Spring Assisted. Plain/Combo edge. $72 - $64
    - Deluxe Al Mar SERE and Mini SERE 2020 in Black G10. Black or satin blade.Spring Assisted. Plain/Combo edge. Going from $112 to $96
    - Stinger Keychain in a choice of 4 different colors in D2 at $24

They have made a few smart choices such as keeping the classic line (keeps the old fans in)
    Putting BIG knives back in
    Further modernizing the ultralight line (love the idea of the titanium handles)
    I am not too sure about the spring assisted knives but clearly an inspiration from Kershaw there (same steel for the regular line as well) and seeing how it has been fairly successful I can't blame them for this

We lose the Shiva. I have one, it's a great knife but it lacks identity as it looks good for a lot of things but doesn't specialize in anything.
    I would love for the original Kuzan Oda design to comeback (less contoured handle and 7" blade. More utilitarian in design)

18. kylemiller

kylemiller Basic Member Basic Member

May 18, 2016
    So someone just bought the name? This has happened to so many classic American brands that it almost makes you think about if it should even be legal. Not just the knife industry, look at electronics, computers and tools. But that's a discussion for a different sub forum.

jeepin likes this.
  19. bouddha0357

bouddha0357

Jan 23, 2013
    No they bought the whole company, IP included

20. Hackenslash

Jul 25, 2014
    In addition to these knives, some Mar designs live on in the Nemesis Knives MPR (Mar Private Reserve) line. @unwisefool posted a picture of his MPR earlier. I have an MPR 1, and it’s a fine knife for the price. Maybe a little rough around the edges.

I’m not sure how it all began, but Jeff Hall of Nemesis Knives inherited a big stack of designs from Al Mar’s widow before she passed away in 2017. The original plan was to offer 2 or 3 new designs per year but at this point there are only 3 designs available. The MPR2 and MPR3 were released in drop point and tanto blades.

Unfortunately, if you’re opposed to a Chinese production Al Mar knife, I don’t think the Nemesis designs will help that. I think all have been manufactured there so far.

IMO, the Japanese built original Mar knives had fallen way behind the competition and no longer meet the standards for a modern >$100 production knife. Maybe the right Chinese manufacturer can make these designs relevant again.

BenchCo Spydermade likes this.