New Brands (to me)

Hello guys/gals. I am a newbie in this forum hoping to school myself more in my hobby of knife collecting. I have about 20 knives so far. A spiderco spidercard, 2 buck 560's with titanium handles, one crystal. A Ka Bar 2752 boot knife (cleveland)
And a custom Buck 110, s30v, with buckeye burl handle. Those are my favs. Each one I consider being a great price when I got them. Oh and just picked up a Ka Bar 1211 at a pawn shop, for $25. Not a scratch on it. Anyway, I am kind of in a rut. The knife selection in the area is slim when it comes to brands. I am looking for different quality brands, that offer a good selection at reasonable pricing. Say $30 or so and up. I have only spent more than $100 only once, on the custom 110 and prefer to stay under or near that. For now. Hoping to find some cheaper models to get me started with new brands. There are 2 I'd really like to own still. A Buck Vanguard with the wood handle. And damn near anything that is damascus. And nothing that looks cheap like these wedding bands i have found on the internet. That may be difficult. Would like to eventually get a nice one of those in the future. Anybodys suggestions would be appreciated. And to tell you the truth, I am more of a collector than a user. Although I do carry my old Bucklites when the need arises. Hiking/camping/hunting. Always watching the discontinued lines of the few brands I do know some about.

The brand that I think got me more into collecting and more bang for my buck is LT Wright knives. Save up and get one you will collect but also use.

You can get some cool benchmades in the low 100s on the exchange occasionally. The 530/531 is an awesome knife. Kizer has some good low priced stuff also. I really like Bokers kwaiken series but buyer beware on the majority of their other items.

Welcome to the forum!

Steel Will is my favourite “new”-ish knife company. Amazing knives from the $30-40 Cutjack to the $200+ Gekko. The Roamer fixed blades are amazing values as well IMO.

Also, there are quite a few great options from Spyderco (Delica, Endura, Manix 2, Native, etc.) and Benchmade (Griptilian, Mini Grip, Bugout) for around $100.

Welcome! You owe it to yourself to try a paramilitary 2 or para 3. They are both totally iconic. Look around the exchange you should be able to find some stuff in your price range. Cheers!

Ya, that's how it always starts. Newbie comes in asks for some advice, maybe a suggestion or two, in no time at all the infection set in. :oops:

I myself started here less than 2 years ago, like yourself, with limited knowledge and a strong curiosity. Knives I knew about or owned included, Buck, Boker Arbolito, Kershaw, Gerber, Victorinox, and Spyderco.

And then the help came.
Much like the sharks came to the sinking of the Indianapolis.
Slowly they circled, occasionally slipping in with a new maker, a suggestion, a photo of a knife that would tease me, call to me, "buy me! I'm just one knife, what can 1 knife hurt?"

In my particular case, that help resulted in my learning of, and acquiring at least 1 knife from each of the following knife makers:

Rough Rider
Opinel
Boker Magnum
Boker Plus
Morakniv
AG Russell
Arno Bernard
Bark River
Benchmade
Browning
Canal St.
CRKT
EnZo
Grohmann
Hess
Ken Onion
LT Wright
Marbles
Marttiini
Menefee
Moki
Old Timer
Schrade
SOG
Timberline
Antonini
Bear & Sons
Case
C Jul Herbertz
Cudeman
Kizer
Lionsteel
Northwoods
Ontario
Piranha
Puma
Real Steel
Ruike
Steel Will
Zhen

Virtually every one of these makers has something that will grab you for under $100. Many have great stuff for WAY under $100.
That's how it starts.
That's how they get you.
You should go now.
Run!
As fast as you can, as far as you can.

For God's sake save yourself man!
You can still lead an almost normal life!
There is no hope for the rest of us.
We are trapped here forever.
Go while you still can!

:eek:

Welcome to BladeForums Tundraman!
Don't forget brands like Kershaw with the better steel options as well like the Link for example in M390 or the D2 options.

I said this not long ago in another thread, there are two answers to the disease. Either you have too many knives or not enough.
I think my situation is a third answer. The number of knives that I have is both too many and not enough.

Ontario has a variety of fixed blades and folders near or below the $100 mark. You'll probably find something (or many things) in their lineup that you like. Another place to check would be Baryonyx Knife Company. They kinda specialize in high value for price knives and the owner, FortyTwoBlades, also regularly contributes to discussions on the forum. Good luck and let us know how your knife disease progresses. ;)

If you like traditional case is a great brand to collect. They have many patterns along with an endless collection of handle material and colors. I would highly recommend a benchmade griptillian, a great knife right at a hundred bucks no collection is complete without one imo

Yes I know its an addiction. After finding that KA Bar, I'm ready to hit every pawn store in the area. Seems to me, once you get that one you have wanted for a while, there is another you just gotta have...again. Neverending. Trying my hardest to avoid the expensive ones for a "once in a while" buy. Not gonna last, I know. But after your suggestions, I have sent the wife 6 pics for a Christmas suprise. The cheapest was an Esee avispa. One brand I previously read about on here before posting. Probably bad that I take her out for her Birthday, then tell her what I want soon after getting home.
But I appreciate all your suggestions, and got a few laughs in the process. Thanks a lot. I am sure I will come back to this post multiple times in the future. I'd make my own list, but heck, its right here.

Do yourself a favor; take a look at John Lloyd and the knives he builds, and then see if he'll do what you want in Damascus. His prices are very reasonable, and you won't end up with something that looks like a cheap wedding band. Of course, after you buy a custom, there's always the possibility you'll never buy another production knife.

Back