1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2. Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win a Kizer Sheepdog & Ka-Bar Dozier Folding Hunter, , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!

Be sure to read the rules before entering, then help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread! Entries close at midnight, Saturday August 10!

Once the entries close, we'll live stream the drawing on Sunday, July 28 at 5PM Eastern. Tune in to our YouTube channel TheRealBladeForums for a chance to win bonus prizes!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

New front flipper framelock build

Discussion in 'Razor Edge Knives' started by razor-edge-knives, Jul 5, 2019.

1. razor-edge-knives

razor-edge-knives Moderator Moderator Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Apr 3, 2011
    Always thinking forward to the next knife, after I get some of the Kuros folders sold I plan on launching this one, a front flipper. I have had a lot of input from @Sharp & Fiery as he's a front flipper fanatic ;) and I've had a bunch of good folders come through my hands to pick which features I like and dislike. Looking for this to be a 3.15" blade. I will post pics here as it comes together.

I've finally learned enough on Fusion 360 to make my own folder and all the features needed. If you guys have any input or thoughts I would love to hear them!!!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

2. Lapedog

Lapedog Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 7, 2016
    Is there any way to make the lockbar cutout on the inside of the scale?

3. razor-edge-knives

Apr 3, 2011
    On front flippers you really want them on the outside on a frame lock so you have a good index point and extra traction when opening. But thanks for chiming in!!

4. Lapedog

Lapedog Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 7, 2016
    I guess so,

you’re right front flipping isn’t a natural motion like thumb stud opening for many people. It is something you kind of got to get muscle memory on and it can be tricky for some people.

I was thinking more for unpocketing reasons since sometimes a clip spanning over a lockbar cut out like that can get stuck on the pocket lip as you draw it.

5. woodysone

woodysone Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 21, 2005
    Looks really good, I’d like to see a little less belly and a little pointier but that’s just me.

Last edited: Jul 5, 2019
  6. razor-edge-knives

Apr 3, 2011
    Thanks for the input :thumbsup:

You are right, it definitely won't be for everyone opening wise. But, I'm planning on getting it dialed in perfect to where there wouldn't really be hardly any learning curve (detent and action wise). That's a great point on snagging! I hadn't thought about that... I'm actually planning on having one proto made and carry it for a bit before I go ahead with the run. So that will let me decide if and what the final changes need to be! :thumbsup::)

JJ_Colt45, woodysone and Lapedog like this.
  7. T.L.E. Sharp

T.L.E. Sharp That's right, it's genuine Velveeta... Platinum Member

Jun 30, 2016
    You know me, I've always got input... This looks perfect though. If I had any real critique it would be that at first glance the lock bar relief looks like it might be a tad high for ring finger placement.

I would probably also lose the hard choil on the heel in favor of a more sebenza-esque ramp. Those small diameter choils tend to snag fibrous material and annoy me.

Those are two super small observations though and neither would effect my decision to purchase. I think you've got a winner here Josh. It looks unique without sacrificing utility or comfort.

Might you consider a damasteel option? This seems to be a smaller, lighter folder. A "dress" option would be cool.

woodysone and razor-edge-knives like this.
  8. JJ_Colt45

JJ_Colt45 Gold Member Gold Member

Sep 11, 2014
    I like the look of it ... I have never owned a front flipper so I can't give any feedback on that part at all ...

I have been I interested in a front flipper but just never have found one when I was looking to buy.

I don't normally have much issue with clips snagging ... but I can see what T.L.E. mentioned ... I guess that would depend on how snug the clip is.

But I think you have a nice design ... for my uses a bit of belly like that blade has would be a bonus.

:thumbsup:

woodysone and razor-edge-knives like this.
  9. razor-edge-knives

Apr 3, 2011
    Excellent points, thank you! Yeah I agree about the choil, I'll change that up a little so if it does snag it will slip right up onto the edge.

Regarding the relief position, yes it may be a tad high but I had a shamwari here I was messing around with when figuring out placement and while higher than where the shamwari was it seemed to be in a perfect position for the ring finger. But... I will have to get a proto in hand and use it before the final determination. A prototype is invaluable in designing folders! :D

Thanks Justin! Yeah I have the clip riding on the flat portion of the scale so hopefully that will be prevented, but I will also likely chamfer the relief area to help as well :thumbsup:

woodysone and JJ_Colt45 like this.
  10. Twindog

Twindog Gold Member Gold Member

Apr 6, 2004
    My favorite design of yours so far, although it's smaller than I'd ever use.

Maybe a touch less belly, especially on a small blade. I usually don't like internal stop pins, because they are more complicated, expensive and weaker than an external stop pin. I still remember a Spyderco Southard that broke because of this design, but it's such a rare problem that it may not be important. It does look better.

I've never tried a front flipper, but it looks interesting. The front flipper and internal stop pin really gives the knife a clean design. Like it a lot.

woodysone likes this.
  11. razor-edge-knives

Apr 3, 2011
    Thanks for the input!

The reason I went w/ an internal pin on this one was because I didn't want to be limited with the blade width when it comes to sharpening/choil issues and also so I could wrap the jimping all the way around the tang. Emerson's and other knives have the issue where, once you sharpen back to the bottom of the choil you will develop detent rock because you have removed metal from the closing stop pin position.

I left about 1/16" of metal there on the closing stop pin position but I figure that's enough because when closing there is not going to be a ton of force on the knife - I am much more concerned with the metal on the other side of the lock (when in the open position).

What I will likely do is make a second larger model at some point, it's not too difficult to scale everything up 10-20% so that is cool :)

woodysone, T.L.E. Sharp and Fullflat like this.
  12. haayema

haayema Gold Member Gold Member

Aug 17, 2016
    YES PLEASE!
    Sign me up for one :D

The only thing that caught my eye was the cut-out for the lock, but that has been addressed allready. Checking the pics closely, placement of the cut-out and the clip will not provide problems, such as for example the Spyderco Drunken...

Looks great and I would be happy to order one.

13. razor-edge-knives

Apr 3, 2011
    Got permission from Brian Nadeau to use his integral detent nub :) I may change it up a little bit but here is how it stands now!
    [​IMG]

14. Sharp & Fiery

Sharp & Fiery Platinum Member Platinum Member

May 14, 2012
    Im so excited for this!! The ride has been awesome!!

15. razor-edge-knives

Apr 3, 2011
    Did some more work on the CAD today...

Canted the clip slightly to clear the lockbar relief area more as well as a better ride in the right hand carry position
    [​IMG]

Also am incorporating an asymmetrical clip contact point which will also help clear the lockbar relief area as well as make inserting and removing from the pocket easier... a lot of shiro's do this (which is where I got the idea). I'm sure @Sharp & Fiery and @ChazzyP can attest to how well this idea works!

[​IMG]

Chamferred the relief area

[​IMG]

did away with a little jimping where it wasn't needed
    [​IMG]

and added some weight relief pockets

[​IMG]

then modded the detent nub a bit more in line with Brian Nadeau's since I'm fortunate enough to have his permission on this folder!
    [​IMG]

it's coming together :)

Last edited: Aug 7, 2019
    ty_higg, Coach23, ScooterG and 3 others like this.
  16. Sharp & Fiery

Sharp & Fiery Platinum Member Platinum Member

May 14, 2012
    @razor-edge-knives

Wow Josh! You have put a lot of thought into this knife, along with being willing to listen to other enthusiasts suggestions. Its really going to be a blade to be proud of!! Heck, I’d be proud already if i were you.
    I do love the asymmetrical pocket clip nub...its excellent.
    So glad you did away with some if the un-needed jimping...cleans it right up.
    As you know, im so excited for this project of yours to be released, and glad you are taking your time. I can just imagine the flipping action and the smooth detent already.
    Its gonna be an awesome front flipper, ready for real world use!
    Keep ‘em coming!

17. ScooterG

ScooterG You mean Ireland? Yeah, it’s mine. Gold Member

Mar 15, 2016
    Looking great! Whatever you do with design, just blow that heat treat out of the water.

razor-edge-knives likes this.
  18. woodysone

woodysone Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 21, 2005
    Looking good Josh, can you give any insight on the detent, spring loaded? Nice to see a lanyard hole to be able to pull out of pocket, hopefully under the 4.5 oz. Looking forward to seeing this in person!;)

razor-edge-knives likes this.
  19. razor-edge-knives

Apr 3, 2011
    The SBD (Sharp by design) integral detent nub basically allows for smooth riding with no detent ball bump when closing, and the one I've checked out has been extremely smooth. I'll probably have it sitting .020" out of the insert which will also lower lock bar tension a bit compared to a regular detent ball which sits out about .025-.027" typically. Every little bit helps!

I think I'll be able to hit that mark no problem weight wise... Esp. With the weight reduction pockets and a full flat grind (or almost)

woodysone likes this.
  20. razor-edge-knives

Apr 3, 2011
    Oh almost forgot this shot! You can see the assymetrical contact point on the clip!

[​IMG]

woodysone and Barman1 like this.