New GB: M4 care?

I have a microfiber cloth that I have lightly oiled with mineral oil. I just wipe the blade down.

Mineral oil is cheap, foodsafe, and works well. M4 isn't a rust risk like O1 or 1095, but if you don't want it to patina, a few wipedowns a week with a very light coat of mineral oil is sufficient.

Thanks Calc...all your thoughts on another thread helped me to my knife decisions. Thanks again!

jasper83
New GB: M4 care?
Just got a new GB and it's great! What do you recommend for blade care?

I use Breakfree CLP on all my knives, guns, and steel tools. Synthetic, won't gum or harden with age or temperature change, inexpensive, readily available, it Cleans, Lubricates, and Protects. I started using the mil spec version of it on M16 during a police action in SE Asia many years ago. It works great on my GB, etc.

http://www.thegunzone.com/rust.html

Mineral oil is cheap, foodsafe, and works well. M4 isn't a rust risk like O1 or 1095, but if you don't want it to patina, a few wipedowns a week with a very light coat of mineral oil is sufficient.

:thumbup:

I'll second break-Free CLP. Been using it since 1989 on firearms & knives on land and at sea with very good results. Great all in one product!

Since I use my knives for food at times, I stay away from CLP. Mineral oil or olive oil works well on my non stainless blades just fine. I use CLP for all my tools though, I just don't like eating the stuff.

Back