New here--At 75 do I still need to carry a knife?

CVamberbonehead

Gold Member
Cool knives! I just bought a Paramilitary 2, havent had a Spyderco in a long time after a Tenacious left me with a bad taste in my mouth. Im excited for it to come in.
Welcome to Bladeforums, its a pretty nice place. :)

Hello fellow BF members, a retired engineer and architect here.

I have carried various folding knives during my working years (Schrade, Smith & Wesson, and Buck).

Now we live in a retirement community and my wife and I have a kitchen and garage replete with cutting implements.

So I’m asking myself “Do I still need to carry a knife?”

Well the answer for me is “Yes, I do, one that is light weight, light-duty, and easy to operate aged-handed”.

So I recently acquired two new Spyderco knives: a Dragonfly 2 and a Para 3 (both LW) that meet my requirements nicely.

However, even though my “requirements are met”, I’m about ready to click the order button on a Manix 2 LW.

Maybe a Native 5 also…

And our Focus ST really needs a Spyderco Rescue Assist (Orange) for his console box…

And then there’s the Mazda, feeling left out…

Oh, and we do live by a big lake, might need some Salt versions too…

You display sound reasoning fundamentals.

drawkcaB

Gold Member
Thanks to you all for your kind welcome!

I've been reading here for a while now before joining, and have gained valuable knowledge.

David Mary

pass the mustard - after you cut it
Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider
"At 75 do I still need to carry a knife?"

I guess it depends how well your fingernails cut, was my first thought.

But, yes, at least what tinfoil hat timmy tinfoil hat timmy said in post #21. And if they have opening holes, all the better, regardless of shape, but anything sufficient to allow low effort gross motor semi precise action to open reliably...

Dictionaries are empty after that run on sentence. 🤣

tiguy7

Gold Member
I thought we all agreed on name and maker for given pics !
I missed that directive. This is a William Henry B-15 Titan (Tom Brown) Tracker that has been modified with Gold plated hardware, jeweled buttons, a SanMai ZDP-189 Damascus blade, an anodize job, and a pocket clip. Original knife was quite ordinary. image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg

Last edited:
No, never carry a knife. Welcome to BF.

1k2TKcG.jpg

000Robert

Gold Member
I feel naked if I don't have at least one knife on me. I don't think that I have ever went a day without at least one knife on me since I started the first grade. I'm 61 now.

If I were 75 and retired I'll be carrying two:

1) a custom 3 3/4 slipjoint with stag inserts and carbon steel blades. So I can sit on a bench for hours, just holding it, touching the blades to add a protective patina, and smile at all the stupid things I did in youth.
2) a 9-inch bowie at my right hip. You'll never know what life throws at you, right?
3) and the .45 Colt lever gun won't be more than three feet away.