1. Week 49 of the BladeForums.com Year of Giveaways is live! Enter to win a Spyderco C41GP5 Native 5 G10
    Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win a Spyderco C41GP5 Native 5 G10 + Misc Prize Pack , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships! Be sure to read the rules before entering!

Entries will close at 11:59PM Saturday, Dec 7 ; winners will be drawn on Sunday @ 5pm on our Youtube Channel: TheRealBladeForums. Bonus prizes will be given during the livestream!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

New knife recommendations

Discussion in 'General Knife Discussion' started by Elh11480, Nov 16, 2019.

1. Elh11480

Elh11480

Aug 22, 2019
    Hello all, I am new to the forum and have been a long time lurker here. I would like some knife recommendations in the $200-$400 category. I have a few decent knives such as a bugout with brass scales, spyderco pm2, delica, rat 1 and 2 and a bunch of chinese cheaper stuff. I think I want a titanium framelock, looking for something under $400 for my first "big purchase". I have been eyeing a chavez, any help would be great. Thanks

2. K.O.D.

K.O.D. The Everlasting Know-it-all Platinum Member

Aug 21, 2013
    Chris Reeve, Hinderer, maybe a custom.

What your parameters?

3. Elh11480

Elh11480

Aug 22, 2019
    I really dont have alot of parameters. I would prefer a titanium framelock. This new edition to my collection will be used and not a safe queen. I will not need it for really hard use, just your average edc. I am interested in the chris reeves, just dont know if I am ready to pull the trigger on something like that yet. Wouldnt a custom cost me more than $400?

4. cchu518

cchu518 Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 6, 2013
    You might want to narrow down size, ease of edc/compactness, opening mechanism, size of blade, grind, handle material, sliceyness vs beefy.

Besides the above, CKF, Shiros, Rockstead and Three Sisters Forge come to mind.

I

5. number9

number9 Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 5, 2017
    I like, and carry, my ZT 0808 a lot. At half your budget.

6. AKnife

AKnife

May 10, 2009
    Ti frame lock under $400?

Spydiechef.

Cscotttsss and MeritedEdge like this.
  7. Dogdrawz

Dogdrawz Gold Member Gold Member

Aug 15, 2016
    Since it'll be a user, there's quite a few used CRK's on the exchange in your price range. I say pull that trigger.

8. Enactive

Enactive

Nov 30, 2018
    I would also suggest the SpydieChef. Love mine.

9. ericdraven

ericdraven Platinum Member Platinum Member

Jan 31, 2013
    Hard to beat Crk. Love em you have alot of options. Chaves make good knife too. But if you don't have a Crk that would be my choice.

Dcdavis likes this.
  10. MeritedEdge

MeritedEdge

Jan 3, 2018
    I would definitely recommend a CRK. Outstanding knives and worth the investment. If you’re not willing to spend that kind of money yet, I would also recommend the Spydie Chef.

Dcdavis likes this.
  11. dboblades

dboblades Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 25, 2015
    Hinderer 3.5 inch skinny slicer. Such a good knife

12. Mako109

Mako109

Dec 17, 2008
    Since you're considering Chaves Knives looks to me your interest is in a beefier titanium frame lock in terms of blade stock and that you don't mind a little weight. Also taking into account your stated budget I think that in addition to some of the recommended models above, you should also take a good look at the two following:

- Zero Tolerance ZT0562Ti
    - Giant Mouse Ace Sonoma (This is a relatively new offering and Nick Shabazz should be coming out with a review soon (Youtube). It's not as big as a Chaves or ZT0562, but it's a solid built knife and an awesome flipper. For me the Sonoma is just about THE perfect all around EDC.

13. South paw draw

South paw draw Yep.....I'm a idiot. Platinum Member

Sep 23, 2019
    For a lifetime investment under $400 titanium frame lock pick up a CRK on the sales forums. You cant go wrong. If your looking for a flipper and something you can customize later down the road I'd do a hinderer. Also plenty available on the forums. Both with solid resale value if you decide there not for you. The CRK will probably hold its value the longest but is not as versatile when it comes to customization. And there are many many others like Custom Knife Factory and W.E. knifes if your not really really interested in keeping resale value as well as the others mentioned above. Really the best thing to do is go to the 'what are you carrying today' thread and take a look at what people are using to see what is getting the most real use if your looking for a user. If your looking for an investment the I'd just go with CRK. I really don't think anyone can argue that they dont hold there value the most.

Cheers

Elh11480 and Dcdavis like this.
  14. Dcdavis

Dcdavis Gold Member Gold Member

Oct 13, 2018
    Another vote for Crk. You can find used under $400 pretty commonly. That’s in the large folders. If your looking for a smaller framelock you can get smaller CRKs new under $400. Me personally I prefer the larges for edc. For flippers I’m gonna agree with hinderer as well. Zt also has some great offerings

Elh11480 likes this.
  15. Rykjeklut

Rykjeklut Basic Member Basic Member

May 23, 2018
    Hinderer. Might come in a tad over your $400, but worth it.

16. Elh11480

Elh11480

Aug 22, 2019
    Thanks for all the suggestions.I definitely want to own a crk, I just thought it was a little out of my price range for right now. Some people have mentioned buying a used crk on the forums, are there any counterfeits floating around that I have to worry about? My main reason for wanting a Chavez is I like the size and love the look of them. Not sure how I feel about the spydichef after watching some videos on it.

AKnife likes this.
  17. AKnife

AKnife

May 10, 2009
    Check the reputation of the seller but you shouldn't be getting any counterfeits here on the forum.

If you go for a CRK, I personally like the Umnumzaan. I'm bias tho, it's the only CRK I have.

I hear ya on the Spydiechef. It's a weird looking knife, but the fit and finish is great. It's an easy to EDC knife (for a Spyderco).

18. dionmtz77

dionmtz77 Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 15, 2018
    I would consider the CRK as well very well made knife there are clones but that's the case with most popular knives these days unfortunately. If there is a knife shop or show you could go to in your area I would try that if you could, so you can get them in hand some might not be available but you could get ahold of others you might have not considered the best knife is the one your going to carry and not put in a drawer.

19. South paw draw

South paw draw Yep.....I'm a idiot. Platinum Member

Sep 23, 2019
    With the value of everyone reputation here on blade forums you couldn't buy a toothpick without it being authentic. And when one comes up and and it does from time to time. And is pointed out it is quickly pulled down. Even knife nerds buy counterfeits if it's there first time buying that knife. But good news is the CRK community is super strong and very active in the secondary mark. Even members that have no plans to by another knife are combing the sales threads looking that the pictures to look for the counterfeits. So here on blade forums your pretty solid. I'm a lefty and thankfully I don't believe they even make clone in left handed models. Why would they 90% of the knife companies act like we dont even exist.

Last edited: Nov 17, 2019
    Elh11480 and Dcdavis like this.
  20. jp9mm

jp9mm Basic Member Basic Member

Apr 1, 2019
    That's a great price range to find many good designs. Look through the big retailer websites KC, BHQ etc find what you like and then check some youtube video reviews then look at some used pricing on forums.
    If you buy right there's usually room to re-sell without losing much money. My first i had to have was the FF Fortis 2.0 and its still one of my favorites

Elh11480 likes this.