New Macbook

I'm typing this on my brand spankin' new white 2.16 GHz Macbook with 2 GB RAM and a 160 GB HDD.

I've always been a PC man because I've never had or really ever used Macs. I've definitely become frustrated with compatibility issues, though it's mostly my fault for running older software on newer OS's and getting older peripherals without keeping up to date on drivers. I do like the idea of the makers of the computer being the software designers, so that's definitely one advantage to the Macbook.

I'd be lying if I said I liked the way everything worked on the Macbook, and I'd kill for a right-click option right about now. That said, I'm getting used to it and the change is nice. It boots faster than any out-of-the-box PC I've owned, and I haven't hit a glitch so far. Once I figure everything out I think I'll love it. I still love PC's too and I hope I don't become PC illiterate while I use a Mac over the next four years for college. I plan on partitioning the hard drive and purchasing a copy of Vista so I can run Windows-only apps and also keep my Windows skills sharp while I form a basic edge on my Mac skills.

I also got a 30 GB video Ipod for $50 after rebate and a free HP printer/copier. Not a bad deal! This keyboard is so hard to get used to!

So far I can tell you that the fit and finish and the programs I've used are very nice and I'm glad I decided to mix it up a little and not stick with a PC. I'm going into radio production so I'm sure I'll appreciate the enhanced AV abilities.

Buy a two button mouse (i'm currently using a cheap logitech) - plug it in - gives you all the right clicky scrolly stuff you need. I didn't have much luck with the Microsoft mouse drivers , worked better without worrying about that.

It just goes to show how new I am to Macs. I didn't think that the OS supported right clicking. I just played around a bit more so now I know that ctrl+click is equal to a right-click.

Just tap the mouse pad with two fingers. That is the same as right clicking on a mac laptop. No need to buy a mouse just for that.

If you really want to enjoy your Mac, install Quicksilver. Here's a tutorial if you want to see the features and how to use it -> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EBvFUhTqKK4

http://quicksilver.blacktree.com/

I've been using a Macbook for a week now and love it. So far I have created a DVD showing a construction project here at my house and basically anything that I needed to do on my Windows or Linux PCs, this Mac does right out of the box. Best out of box experience I have ever had. Plus if you need to uninstall something, just drag it to the trash. Bang! It's gone. No uninstall, click, click, reboot as in Windows.

Keep playing with it and you'll see why people really like them.

I purchased the 17" MacBook Pro this spring and am totally in love! I've followed the PC revolution since it's inception and have owned C-64's, Amigas, and a wide variety of the beginning home computers, but became a Mac addict early on. My last experience with a Mac was OS-9 and then I went totally PC for a few years. Boy am I glad to be back!

I've gotten used to the keyboard and use a mouse when I have the Mac at my desk 'cause I love the right-click and really prefer a mouse to a trackpad anyway.

Also, since my typing style results in the base of my thumb dragging across the track pad occasionally, I'll put a sticky-note over the pad to keep it from moving the cursor around when I'm using the mouse.

Thanks for the head's-up on Quicksilver! I just downloaded it.

J-

Homebru- just go into Mouse and Keyboard preferences and check off the box for disabling the track pad when the mouse is plugged in. That oughta save you some sticky notes!

I have an optical USB mouse hooked up to it now and it's working great! :thumbup:

I purchased the 17" MacBook Pro this spring and am totally in love!

Thanks for the head's-up on Quicksilver! I just downloaded it.

J-

My office has the 17" MacBook Pro, but it is currently in use for testing. When it is done, I'll transfer my MacBook to it and use it...

Let me know how you like QuickSilver. It's kinda like Google Desktop on steroids. :D

and they last, i am working on a 1999 G3 pismo laptop that still works, does all i need with rock steady stability and if you figure cost vs lifetime, macs are WAY cheaper.

Homebru- just go into Mouse and Keyboard preferences and check off the box for disabling the track pad when the mouse is plugged in. That oughta save you some sticky notes!

I used to do that, but when I take the 'top out, I just grab it off the desk and have always forgotten to turn the trackpad back on BEFORE I leave without a mouse!!!:p

and they last, i am working on a 1999 G3 pismo laptop that still works, does all i need with rock steady stability and if you figure cost vs lifetime, macs are WAY cheaper.

It's easy to compare now that Macs are Intel-based. I set the powerbook specs against a Dell and the Mac was about $400 cheaper!

J-

Back