Recommendation? New Member, "EDC" recommendation

Hi all. New member that's been lurking for a bit and am looking for a knife recommendation.

I'd like something versatile for various weekend chores from dealing with small saplings/gardening chores to opening boxes and cutting zip ties. It won't be an EDC since my workplace isn't an EDC-friendly kind of place, but that's generally what I'm looking for.

My current knife is a Spyderco (delica I think) that's about 15 years old - AUS-6. I think I'd like something slightly larger, but not much. There's a lot that I like about the Spyderco, but I REALLY don't like how much of pain it is to sharpen.

Not looking for anything flashy. Something like a small Sebenza is the type of thing I'm currently looking at, but I think I'd prefer something at a lower price point since it's not going to get tons of use.

Thanks in advance!

Stones. I used small oil stones in the past and recently switched to water stones as I've gotten into kitchen knives. The frustration has more to do with the bolster than the blade shape or steel.

The blade curvature where it meets the bolster. Admittedly, I'm not an expert sharpener, but I have yet to find a way to deal it.

Maybe it's because I have a fondness for fixed blades; but when I hear saplings and garden chores my mind doesn't think FOLDING KNIFE. I highly recommend checking out the Knifemakers selling area, as there are some great deals to be had; but, if you want to go with manufactured knives, there are still plenty of good options.
The BK16 or Esee 4 are great knives that are easy to sharpen. If you want something a little more EDC friendly, check out the Bradford Guardian 3. I'd go on; but, if you aren't interested in fixed blades, there's no point. (If you are, say the word)
Regardless of the style, it would be helpful to know your budget; so we can keep it recommendations appropriate.

hhmoore hhmoore I thought the same as you re: fixed blade. However, for a tough, inexpensive folder then the Rat 1 or 2 is always a safe bet. Not the flashiest knives around, but damn solid and easy to maintain.

Thanks for the feedback. I think I'd prefer a folder for now. Saplings was a terrible word choice on my part, I won't be using it for anything more than 1/2", and it won't be a substitute for actual pruning shears. Under $250 for budget.

Thanks for the feedback. I think I'd prefer a folder for now. Saplings was a terrible word choice on my part, I won't be using it for anything more than 1/2", and it won't be a substitute for actual pruning shears. Under $250 for budget.
Ahh, with $250 to play with, it's a big playground. So much choice these days, it's unreal. Any companies or styles you like in particular? Locks? Blade shapes?

the knives are so numerous it's hard to give suggestions sometimes ... if you like Spyderco knives ... you might look at reputable dealers and search what they offer now ... this a list of dealers that are members on this forum so you can buy with confidence from them ...

https://www.bladeforums.com/threads/paid-dealer-members-list-updated-10-21-2018.1089879/

two things on the sharpening ... one a lot of the new steels might be too hard for the stones you have (not sure what type you do have) ... so you will want to read up a bit on any new steels before buying ...

and the area you have problems with on the knife while sharpening ... you can look for knives that have a small sharpening choil in that area ... where the blade edge stops so you have an even area with no curve ... the choil may be just a small upside down "V" or "U" shape but it makes this issue you have go away.

To help narrow it down, made in the USA would be great. Probably drop point. I've been happy with the frame lock on my Spyderco, but would be open to a liner lock. I do like the idea of tool steel vs. full stainless. I have an SLD knife that is pretty enjoyable to sharpen.

SAK "Huntsman" or other model with the saw.
Multi blade traditional like a peanut, pen knife, stockman, "loom knife (AKA: "Half Hawk" with a sheepsfoot and pen blade), canoe, barlow.
Carried loose in your pocket no one will know its there until you pull it out.
None of these look "threatening"
If you prefer a single blade, something along the lines of a lambsfoot.
A Case 11031SH (single blade sheepsfoot) might also be an option, if you can find one on the used market.
Lambsfoot and sheepsfoot blades do not have a point.

My current EDC (at a nursinig home which generally does not allow residents sharp or pointed objects. All my knives are sharp.) is a SK Blades 'The Gentleman' Buck 110 (drop point CPM 154 blade) on my belt, and a vintage/antique Ulster Number 10 Barlow (clip point and pen blades), and a vintage/antique Remington Canoe (spear point and pen blades) in my RFP.
On the days I wear a kilt, I have a (sharp and pointed) Sgian Dubh in my right sock.

No one has said a word to me about the 110 on my belt, the Sgian Dubh in my sock, or the two in my pocket, which the staff know about since they are all listed on my inventory sheet.

I don't wave any of them around or "act the fool" with them.

Welcome to the forums at5760.

I'll suggest the Spyderco Yojimbo 2. It is slightly larger then your Delica. Much better steel. The straight wharncliffe blade is easier to sharpen then a curved blade. Made in the USA from one of the premier knife companies. About $140.

I'd stick with a kukri, machete, or small fixed blade for the yardwork. A Tramontina machete for under $20 would be fine.

If you need to deal with larger branches, I'd suggest a folding saw.

Kn
Thanks for the feedback. I think I'd prefer a folder for now. Saplings was a terrible word choice on my part, I won't be using it for anything more than 1/2", and it won't be a substitute for actual pruning shears. Under $250 for budget.[/QUOTE
Knifeworks has a great 940-1501 in CPM-20CV steel for just under $200. It's a fantastic knife.

I edc a Spyderco GAYLE Bradley 1 for use around my yard and shop. It is tough. The Gayle Bradley 2 is the one currently in production and another great all around knife.

Cold Steel AD-10?

SWfYjoo.jpg

Maybe that's just what I would buy, if I could justify it....

TOPS BOB, "baby" BOB, or the folding model (not in this picture)?

VqYy1mu.jpg

Somebody suggested the Ontario Utilitac

pmnq4Xn.jpg

To me, and it might be worth a look. It's wondrous cheap to keep, so you have plenty of money left over for a good machete, saw, or more elaborate sharpening kit.

Thanks folks! The Gayle Bradley, Cold Steel AD10, and a 940 all sound like solid contenders.

I was going to suggest the Hogue Ritter RSK Mk1-G2; but that's probably a little too big.
Watch the exchange for a Southern Grind Spider Monkey or Spyderco Sage 2 :thumbsup:
(admittedly, I don't carry my Sage2...but I should start, it's a great knife.)
View attachment 1199709

If you look at the lanyard hole of the Spider Monkey, you'll see that it has green liners (courtesy of USAmadeblades)…I usually carry my copper one; but the carbon fiber is lighter so I can carry it at work.
L8g0BjL.jpg

Last edited:
I've gotta agree with hh. The Spider Monkey and the Ti Sage are two of my favorite knives. Both get carried regularly. I'm not crazy about the thumb rest on the Spider Monkey, but the rest of the knife is very cool; titanium and carbon fiber. And the Sage is a very nicely made knife that feels great in hand. Kind of a pocket hog, though.

I'll go on and recommend my latest purchases, too. The Bestech Pebble is different looking. But the blade shape is very usable. (Spreads peanut butter and the FFG slices well.) The flipping action (open and close) is excellent, almost the best I've experienced. And, the VG-10 steel ought to be easy to keep sharp. On sale now, too. WAY under budget, but Chinese made.

The Zero Tolerance 0566 is also on sale, as it's being discontinued. A little on the heavy side, and opening and closing takes a little more effort (even though it's assisted.) But it's a great working knife and an inexpensive way to try a Hinderer design. Under budget and American made.

My three day old North Arm Skaha II has an amazing open/close action. Neat looking blade, super comfortable grip, unobtrusive but effective wire clip. Maybe a little expensive for a "plastic" knife, but no regrets so far. But you'll have to wait a few months to get on the waiting list and a few more for delivery. Barely under budget, made in Canada. (That's American, right?)

Back