1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. CONTEST IS NOW CLOSED! Live stream of the winners being picked: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jJ6xurJWkhs

Hey folks! We're having a Becker Giveaway over in the Giveaway forum, check it out and have a chance to win a free Becker 4 Machax, Becker 5 Magnum Camp, or Becker 15 Short Trailing Point!

New raindrop damascus

Discussion in 'Chris Reeve Knives' started by James Longstreet, Aug 19, 2017.

1. James Longstreet

James Longstreet Gold Member Gold Member

May 1, 2014
    We have just learned from Tim that somewhere in May this year they have started switching from Devin Thomas raindrop damascus to Chad Nichols raindrop. This goes only for raindrop. Ladder and basket weave will remain from Devin Thomas.

It is not made as a hard cut. So we may see Sebenza/Mnandi with raindrop from Devin Thomas even with birthdate in June.

I am personally very exited about this change, because of my personal preference for the older style raindrop back from somewhere in 2012 and before. Others here may not care. Just thought I share this as not everybody may be at FB.

RyanRaben, socom1970 and Scotcha like this.
  2. nyefmaker

nyefmaker Gold Member Gold Member

Sep 29, 2008
    Can't wait to see it. Hope it's better the the current Raindrop offering that is pretty awful.

Did a google search and it looks much better judging by what the pics show of other makers using Chad's Damascus. Looks like the old HC Raindrop Damascus of yesteryear.

3. Therom

Therom Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 13, 2013
    I have a ladder Damascus blade on order but IMHO that good news for the fans of raindrop ;)

4. lemmuhj

lemmuhj Gold Member Gold Member

May 2, 2010
    Awesome news! Looks like i"'ll be picking up something with the new Raindrop!

socom1970 likes this.
  5. James Longstreet

James Longstreet Gold Member Gold Member

May 1, 2014
    I am pretty sure it will be different from todays raindrop from Devin. There must be a reason for this change. I think Anne and Tim are closely connected with the CRK community and they have noticed a certain demand/desire for a change. I am also pretty sure that they did not ask Chad to do make his raindrop exactly looking like Devin's :) That wouldn't make much sense to me. So I am really looking forward to see some new raindrop blades arround.

I would be perfectly fine with having a new raindrop made by Chad, showing his personal signature, his interpretation of how raindrops should look like. As long as it triggers my imagination for raindrops. It doesn't necessarely have to be exactly Devin's old raindrop. Like Devin, Chad is a damascus master, with his own personal touch.

This is a raindrop from Mike Norris, another damascus smith, made for WH:

[​IMG]WH, B12 Shade, 10

6. newdebate

newdebate

May 10, 2014
    Chad Nichols raindrop pattern was a choice on the TiSpine.

7. socom1970

socom1970

Feb 24, 2015
    Oh, baby...that's what I'm talking about. That is some gorgeous Raindrop Damascus.

James Longstreet likes this.
  8. peterbright

peterbright Serial Monogamist Platinum Member

Jul 29, 2016
    [​IMG]

Snagged one of them!

9. bvo85

bvo85 Gold Member Gold Member

Apr 27, 2017
    How does it look in person? Or are you still waiting for it to arrive?

10. peterbright

Jul 29, 2016
    Arrives tomorrow!

11. peterbright

Jul 29, 2016
    Arrived today and it is a beauty. The photo above is quite accurate.

lemmuhj likes this.
  12. lemmuhj

lemmuhj Gold Member Gold Member

May 2, 2010
    It sure is a beauty, would love to see some other pics!

peterbright likes this.
  13. Therom

Therom Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 13, 2013
    Great raindrop

peterbright likes this.
  14. peterbright

Jul 29, 2016
    [​IMG]

Just ordered another new raindrop.

15. basmca

basmca

Aug 1, 2017

That's a beauty..

peterbright likes this.
  16. peterbright

Jul 29, 2016
    I am really liking the new raindrop. I'm glad they changed.

17. dinokay

dinokay Platinum Member Platinum Member

Feb 9, 2007
    Unfortunately no longer have this one but looks like the older raindrop is almost like the newer one, I like it a lot. I think they called the new raindrop bubble gum years back (I think).

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 28, 2017
  18. cbr1000

cbr1000

Jan 31, 2013
    Anybody have a guess as to when we will start to see this on the 21's? After the Mnandi's came out with the new raindrop I figured it wouldn't be too much longer, but it's been awhile now...

Last edited: Oct 18, 2017
  19. newdebate

newdebate

May 10, 2014
    Got this one ordered:

www.knivesshipfree.com/chris-reeve-knives-large-sebenza-21-thuya-burl-raindrop-damascus-110702/

cbr1000 likes this.