1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. CONTEST IS NOW CLOSED! Live stream of the winners being picked: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jJ6xurJWkhs

Hey folks! We're having a Becker Giveaway over in the Giveaway forum, check it out and have a chance to win a free Becker 4 Machax, Becker 5 Magnum Camp, or Becker 15 Short Trailing Point!
  3. Hey folks! We were alerted to a bug where several hundred members somehow got permanent paid memberships. We're going through and correcting that now. Somehow some of you somehow got yeaaaaaaars of free memberships, and, well, it happens. If your membership accidentally is turned off please post in the Service & Support forum thread with your transaction ID and I'll fix it

New sebenza 21 - harsh detent help?

Discussion in 'Chris Reeve Knives' started by strokednbored, Oct 6, 2017.

1. strokednbored

strokednbored

Aug 8, 2015
    Hi all,
    I apologize in advance if this had been answered, but my search didn't really return what I was looking for. Also, I almost never post here, but lurk around a lot.

I recently bit the bullet and bought my first sebenza. I've not handled one before, so I'm asking for input on the detent/lock bar feel.

Problem: (or what I currently perceive to be)
    The detent/lock bar tension in the closed position is extremely stiff. I mean thumb hurting stiff. It feels like I'm trying to open my ZT flipper using the "not thumb studs" studs

The action after the detent is very smooth, no rough spots.

I've opened/closed the blade - 2 handed - sitting on the couch for several hours and it doesn't seem to be helping much.

Any input would be appreciated.

2. Josh K

Josh K Platinum Member Platinum Member

Sep 29, 2008
    Check if you're pressing on the lockbar when trying to open. Also on the 21/25/Inkosi models the thumbstuds work a bit differently than on other folders. Push out perpendicular to the handle and sweep around to the locked position. You end up drawing an arc with your thumb.

3. Mo2

Mo2

Apr 8, 2016
    Put a tiny drop of lube on the detent ball or detent hole. Don't need much. See if that helps.

4. strokednbored

strokednbored

Aug 8, 2015
    Thank you guys for the current suggestions and any future ones that might come along.

Deployement:
    Not that I'm trying to flick it open, but a thumb flick is absolutely not possible with this knife. I imagine it would come out with substantial wrist movement though.

Angle: I've been trying to go perpendicular from the handle - making an arc as stated above. Still very tight, hurts the thumb.
    Pressing lockbar: my knife has double thumb lugs - i get the same tension in the left hand where the lock bar would not be a factor - almost can't open it this way. still painful (to be fair my left hand is not good at opening blades)

Grease/lube: I should have added that I already put a dab of flourunated grease in the detent hole to try to reduce the friction a bit, I can't tell much of a difference - still hurts to open.

Any suggestions on possibly tweaking the lock bar to reduce tension? (I've thought about this and decided against it so far)

5. Mo2

Mo2

Apr 8, 2016
    do you have any oil? it would work better than grease for the detent.

but due to the issue all together i dont think it wil help much, just figured it would be something to try to factor it out.

have you contacted CRK support? maybe they could help resolve the problem over email or you may have to send it in for warranty repair.

6. strokednbored

strokednbored

Aug 8, 2015
    Thanks for the inputs, I'm going to keep working the knife for a day or two to see if it loosens up before I go contacting CRK. I'm hoping it's probably me being over sensitive and IT JUST needs some more time to loosen up a bit.

7. Ajack60

Ajack60 Platinum Member Platinum Member

Apr 21, 2013
    What CRK did you buy???? A pic would be nice. For some reason the plain jane 21's are discussed the most for a stiff detent. There are several threads about it and so far a sore thumb is a normal occurrence. It will take a few days and a sore thumb before it gets smoother.
    You can break it down, clean it, re lube and just snug the stop pin and pivot to see if that helps any.

8. Mike Large

Mike Large Gold Member Gold Member

Jun 24, 2017
    Sounds like a first CRK is all. Just needs breaking in is all. You, and the knife.

Thin-Slice, kniferbro and matt009au like this.
  9. strokednbored

strokednbored

Aug 8, 2015
    She's a plain large 21 CP with double lugs.

10. JB in SC

JB in SC Gold Member Gold Member

May 19, 2001
    It takes some time to get accustomed to the proper angle and thumb sweep when opening a Sebenza. In most cases of having issues opening a Sebenza, it's not the detent...it's the operator. Just don't push down, which is very common for new users. Once you get it, it's a breeze.

Kiteman72 likes this.
  11. BilboBaggins

BilboBaggins Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 14, 2016
    I'd give it (and your thumb) a week or so. I wasn't able to thumb flick my 21 for quite awhile. Now? No problems. It does take some getting used to.

12. Korean Hog

Korean Hog Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 12, 2017
    Same exact thing when I first got mine. Carry it everyday, use it appropriately, clean it once a week until smooth. Small 21 seb is probably the stiffest CRK new out of the box on average IMO. Mine broke in nicely after a month.

13. jumpstat

jumpstat

Mar 9, 2007
    I find it easier if you spray a bit of WD40 all around the pivot areas, tang & lock/detent.

Don't worry about overspray, just wipe it down. After a while, the WD40 will dry up, so apply it when needed. If when applied, it easier to open/close the folder, then its a matter of breaking in the folder.

btw, how is the lock? is there any stick when fully opened?

14. miso2

miso2 Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 19, 2014
    Mine (small Sebenza) came in dry and stiff. I lubed it, and it was still hard to open, until I got used to it (I did develop my CRK thumb).

OP (@strokednbored )
    Try to pinch the blade to open at around the thumb rug. You should be able to lift the blade up fairly easily. If not, it needs more breaking in or probably adjustment at CRK.

15. strokednbored

strokednbored

Aug 8, 2015
    Thanks all,

She's getting easier to open.
    I dropped a dab or 2 of SLP 2000 in with the grease on the bearings just to give it a bit less viscosity,.

No sticky lock issues when full open. its about 50~60 percent lockup.

I feel like it's a learning experience for me and the knife. She's very picky at the angle of approach to the thumb stud. But sitting around and opening/closing it for a few hours this weekend has me more practiced and the knife a bit easier to open (or so it seems) .

I've seen videos of guys thumb flicking them open - this one is still waaaay away from that (even if I dig in with the thumb nail over the meat of it) but that's not a big concern.

16. orork

orork Gold Member Gold Member

Sep 18, 2010
    In the competition firearm community Shooter's Choice FP 10 is the agreed upon best lube ever. I use it exclusively on anything that should move. Please buy a bottle to go with Butch's bore shine and you're set. Fp 10 has worked the best in all of my folders.