New Sebenza on a electric leather strop

nickj79

Gold Member
i recently visited my local knife shop with my brand new Sebbie. They offered to run it on the leather strop. Is there any reason one should not strop a brand new blade? Can a leather strop have any adverse affects to the blade. Uneven the blade, unneeded wear. It was already sharp but they advised it would help flat spots.

Do a simple fingernail test... you'll know if you have flat spots or rolls. Then, ask 'em to show you on one of their S35VN blades.

Do not let anyone, other than CRK, touch up your Sebenza using motorized equipment. Over half of the messed up blades we've seen here over the years were created by well-meaning "experts" with a paper wheel, belt system, etc.

If you hand that knife to a guy with a motor, things can get bad really really quickly. Buy a KSF strop block and enjoy doing it yourself. Very hard to screw up if you go slow, and very hard to turn the knife into a "Texas toothpick". My two bits.....

Last edited:
Best part of owning CRKs apart from using it is the ability to care for it. Research what others use to maintain their tools. Invest in a sharpening system that suits you and only then can you get the full experience and really appreciate the design and performance as a tool. If CRK is near to you, then sending it in for servicing/sharpening etc is much easier.

A leather strop is meant to take off the burr and some minor honing... it does not need to be done via a motor. High speed creates heat and that is never good.

I just use a spyderco sharpmaker per CRK recommendations. Seemed to do a good job keeping the edge "fresh" after daily use.

I wouldn't, as mentioned above, let anyone near a CRK with a motorized sharpener! Stropping is best done by hand IMO, I would follow the advice of kidcongo and buy a KSF strop. I have one and it works well once you learn how to use it:)

They probably have it loaded with something if it gets rid of flat spots.

Back