New to collecting... Hell of a forum you have here! *updated*

Fixall

Brian
Dealer / Materials Provider
I just made an account here the other day (although I've been lurking for a few months) and I'm enjoying myself immensely. The sheer amount of knowledge on this forum is astounding and I want to say thanks to everyone who contributes.

Going back to when I was a small child, I've always been fascinated with knives (small, folding, every day carries in particular), but I never made it a point to collect them. I just recently had shoulder surgery, so I've decided to take up a less active hobby and since I've always had an interest in knives, I thought this would be perfect! I also work in the Meat Department at Costco so I'm starting to appreciate having better steel (we just use a Victorinox 12" straight butcher and a Victorinox 8" curved breaking knife for the subprimals, but we open dozens of boxes a day so a good folder is highly prized).

My collecting is literally just starting but I'd love a little advice/direction! Here's where I'm at so far with my meager "collection";

Gerber Gator
Given to me by my little brother before he went overseas so it has a lot of sentimental value, but I actually love this thing. The grip is super comfy and the steel is so soft I almost feel like I know what I'm doing when I sharpen it. The blade is prone to chipping which is lame.

Opinel No. 7 Carbon
Given to me by one of my college professors after she asked if she could use one of my essays as an example for future classes. This thing is SHARP! I mainly use it for eating apples because it just feels... right?

Gerber Air Ranger (two of these)
SOG Field Pup
SOG Seal Pup Elite

These were an impulse buy from Cabelas for my fiance and myself right before a camping trip a few years ago (before I even knew about this forum, so be merciful). They were having a Christmas/clearance sale and I purchased all four of these for under $73 total... After tax! No regrets! The Air Ranger's were actually a nice surprise. The steel is absolute trash and I hate that they are partially serrated (seemed like a good idea at the time), but they have really smooth action and a great build quality for a $10 knife. I can actually deploy them MUCH faster than any of the assisted openers I own. I paid about $11 for the Field Pup (fiance's full tang for camping) and for that price, I find it a pretty sweet knife! We lucked out and happened to get one with AUS 8 instead of 7Cr17Mov which is cool. It's very comfortable in the hand and most importantly my fiance loves having it (in case of bears or snakes she says). I paid around $36 for the SOG Seal Pup Elite and it's... Ok. Nothing to write home about and I'm sure I could have gotten more for my money, even at that price. It feels good in the hand and is easy to sharpen though. Both SOGs have great wet weather handles which was important to us since we tend to camp year round in the Pacific Northwest.

Now we get to the knives that I picked up over the last few days since I started "collecting"

Kershaw Leek (Sandvick steel)
Wow! What a fun knife! My (soon to be) father in law received one for Christmas and I thought it was pretty cool. I purchased one locally for $26 to open boxes with at work and have quickly fallen in love with it (the pointy tip is great for boxes and it's unintimidating look is perfect for Costco). I really have this knife to thank getting me interested in knives again... I've only been able to use one arm since the surgery so I've been flicking this open a lot and it's a BLAST, lol. Way more fun than a fidget spinner.

Kershaw Leek Carbon Fiber (CPM 154)
My fiance, seeing how much I loved the original Leek, decided to get this for me as a surprise post operation gift (see why I'm marrying her?). It'll be here Monday and I'm very excited! I'll be passing the original Leek down to my fiance of course... Although I think I'll pick up another regular Leek for myself shortly since the CF is a liner lock with a flat grind and the original is a frame lock with a hollow grind.

Kershaw Blur (S30V)
I purchased this as a Birthday (3/28!) gift for myself locally for $64 before tax (what a DEAL) and I LOVE it. I'm a little intimidated by the curve when it comes to sharpening, but the steel should be hard enough that it won't need more than a hone and strop here and there.

Kershaw Blur (black, Sandvick steel)
Saw this for sale for $30 secondhand (but brand new, in box) and I couldn't pass it up. Before I started learning about the different steels, this is the Blur I originally wanted. It should give me a chance to practice sharpening a curved blade without screwing up my S30V Blur.

Victorinox Swiss Army Compact
I always had a Swiss Army on me as a kid, so I wanted something simple, nostalgic, and useful in an urban setting. This fits the bill PERFECT (the pen is such a fantastic addition).

Any ideas of where I should go from here? The next thing I purchase will probably be a Stropman strop as they may be hard to get soon. :(
After that I think I want to pick up a Spyderco Sharpmaker.

Some of the knives I'm keeping an eye on for flash sales/deep discounts include;

Swiss Army Farmer Alox
Swiss Army 1
Spyderco Paramilitary 2

Spyderco Manix 2
Kershaw Leek Composite
Benchmade Griptillian
Cold Steel Code 4
Leatherman Wave+ or Charge TTI if the price is right
Custom Buck 110
Buck Vantage Pro small
Ontario Rat 2 in D2
Morakniv Companion or Bushcraft
Svord Peasant Knife

P.S.
I blame the post operative pain killers for the length of this post.

*Edit 1*
Updated with a picture of my knife collection from the first month I joined the forum.

Starting collection
SAeLtkt.jpg

1. Victorinox 12" Straight Butcher
2. Jaguar
3. Kershaw Blur
4. Kershaw Blur s30v
5. SOG Field Pup AUS8
6. SOG Seal Pup Elite
7. Spyderco Chaparral LW
8. Kershaw Leek CF
9. Opinel No. 7 Carbon
10. Gerber Air Ranger
11. Kershaw Dimension
12. Gerber Gator

*Edit 2*
Updated with knives I've picked up (and in some cases, let go) along the way. Keep in mind that just because a knife is in the "Didn't make the cut" group, that doesn't mean I didn't like it. In same cases I loved it but gave it away as a gift, upgraded to a premium version, or it just wasn't getting used. With few exceptions, if a knife doesn't get used, I get rid of it.

Unless it's against some rule that I missed, I think I'm going to keep this thread going. I think it will be interesting to look back at where I started and see how far I have come after a few years. Huge thanks to everyone who has commented in this thread with suggestions, advice, knowledge, and silliness. I've learned so much and had so much fun already, and I know I've barely scratched the surface!

Knives currently in my "permanent" collection.
ZqcNYkM.jpg

8E1eNwd.jpg

o4VNUh4.jpg

i3lACkA.jpg

DffH3ol.jpg

IT22JAD.jpg

vsGNEuB.jpg

yROsEe5.jpg

Knives that didn't make the cut (groan)...
bsZEOfr.png

GRWQVrH.png

8JgBAJ7.png

PKBPcrP.png

GR1XPYc.jpg

Sharpening and maintenance equipment!
e7YhXis.jpg

UTSdk6a.jpg

qfZstUp.jpg

Ongoing Opinel No. 7 project!

y6PDPS6.jpg

First attempt with the Edge Pro...
jwjwskU.jpg

120, 220, 320, 800 stones, and a 2000 grit tape on a cheap KAI Pure Komachi 2 paring knife.

Last edited:
Welcome! Sounds like you're off to a good start. You actually don't need a paid membership at all to buy, but the pm's do make it a little easier.

Welcome to the forum and secure your wallet!

It sounds like you have some really good picks on your list already, so I don't think you need much direction, but I'll chime in with a few others you might keep an eye on. :)

Spyderco Chaparral is a really nice little knife with great cutting geometry that's nice and unobtrusive. In FRN it would be great for your work environment or grab one in carbon fiber for a great little gentleman's folder!

Cold Steel makes some folders that are great for outdoor use and general utility. On the inexpensive side the Finn Wolf is a very cool folding pukko that gives you a chance to try a Scandi grind and a bit spendier look at the Ultimate Hunter. It's super comfortable in the hand for extended work and harder cutting tasks and is a really good deal for what you get.

Steel Will Cutjack/Mini Cutjack/Modus. These are nice, manual flippers with good design, good action and good steel. Both the premium and budget versions are really nice and will give you a chance to see if you dig a manual flipper as opposed to the A/O options you have now.

Find out what kind of knives you really dig and then get more of those!

Fixall, I just joined recently too and have acquired a few knives in the past month. I'm an older guy and never really had any good knives, so I decided I'd buy a good knife for EDC and another for work around the farm. That thought process has resulted in eight (8) knife purchases in the last month. So, I'd say you've taken a few steps down a slippery slope.

My advice is to buy the Gold Membership here. It will make buying easier and you'll quickly save more than the $30 cost by buying knifes on the Exchange here.

Welcome! Sounds like you're off to a good start. You actually don't need a paid membership at all to buy, but the pm's do make it a little easier.

Thanks! That's good to know! I'll likely pick up the Basic Membership today and then upgrade to Gold sometime down the road.

Welcome to the forum and secure your wallet!

It sounds like you have some really good picks on your list already, so I don't think you need much direction, but I'll chime in with a few others you might keep an eye on. :)

Spyderco Chaparral is a really nice little knife with great cutting geometry that's nice and unobtrusive. In FRN it would be great for your work environment or grab one in carbon fiber for a great little gentleman's folder!

Cold Steel makes some folders that are great for outdoor use and general utility. On the inexpensive side the Finn Wolf is a very cool folding pukko that gives you a chance to try a Scandi grind and a bit spendier look at the Ultimate Hunter. It's super comfortable in the hand for extended work and harder cutting tasks and is a really good deal for what you get.

Steel Will Cutjack/Mini Cutjack/Modus. These are nice, manual flippers with good design, good action and good steel. Both the premium and budget versions are really nice and will give you a chance to see if you dig a manual flipper as opposed to the A/O options you have now.

Find out what kind of knives you really dig and then get more of those!

Thanks! I'll keep an eye out for some of those knives! The Chaparral looks great and right up my alley. I've also been checking out a few Scandi grinds as I would like to try my hand at some basic wood carving (does the urge to whittle just come with age, lol?).

So far, I'm definitely digging on flippers right now. I'd like to check out some manuals flippers so I'll add Steel Will to my list. The Cutjack looks pretty sweet. :)

You're screwed. :D

But think of all the rope I'll be able to cut!

First off welcome, second
but have a nice collection of things that cut and know how to keep them that way.

This guy gets it!
Yep!! And Welcome.. John

Hey thanks. :)

Thanks!

Welcome to the forum. This place is going to get expensive for you!

Thanks! Yea... I've noticed the sky is the limit when it comes to knife prices, lol.

Fixall, I just joined recently too and have acquired a few knives in the past month. I'm an older guy and never really had any good knives, so I decided I'd buy a good knife for EDC and another for work around the farm. That thought process has resulted in eight (8) knife purchases in the last month. So, I'd say you've taken a few steps down a slippery slope.

My advice is to buy the Gold Membership here. It will make buying easier and you'll quickly save more than the $30 cost by buying knifes on the Exchange here.

Haha, yes it seems so... But what a nice slope to slide down!

I think you're right about the Gold Membership... After checking out the prices and condition of the majority of the knives on the Exchange, it seems like an excellent value and a good way to help support what you guys have going on here.

Welcome Fixall. I'm a big Spyderco fan so I suggest you look into a Delica, it is thin and slicey very comparable to the Leek. Many feel it is the ultimate EDC folder but you can ascertain that yourself. However you seem into Kershaws so I will also suggest a Skyline, it is also Sandvik and a very slim carry.

Hello and welcome!

You seem to be in the identical position I was about 2 years ago. When I discovered BF I had a few SOG’s, SAK’s, Bucks, and a Delica.

Given your fondness for flippers and Kirshaw, might I suggest stepping up to ZT?

That was my gateway knife (0450) and since then it’s been a gratifying (albeit costly) roller coaster!

WARNING: You’re already addicted. Escalation is inevitable and we’re all enablers!

PS: I propose you pull out your whole collection for a family photo, then attach it to this thread. We like pictures—even if it’s not some supercarbontimascus custom!

Agreed, but you're in good company. Welcome aboard.

Consider Spyderco's Delica Wharncliffe knife. It would be fantastic for all the boxes and packaging you have to deal with.

Thanks! I actually have my eye on the Delica Wharncliffe! I thought Wharncliffes looked strange and unintuitive at first, but after using one... Man are they handy! And the Delica will give me a chance to try out VG-10. :)

Welcome Fixall. I'm a big Spyderco fan so I suggest you look into a Delica, it is thin and slicey very comparable to the Leek. Many feel it is the ultimate EDC folder but you can ascertain that yourself. However you seem into Kershaws so I will also suggest a Skyline, it is also Sandvik and a very slim carry.

Looks like a Delica will be next on my list! Great reviews, great price, and a form that looks like it will do really well at work. I'll check out the Skyline too, but I want to get a few other brands in my rotation before I pick up anymore Kershaws.

Hello and welcome!

You seem to be in the identical position I was about 2 years ago. When I discovered BF I had a few SOG’s, SAK’s, Bucks, and a Delica.

Given your fondness for flippers and Kirshaw, might I suggest stepping up to ZT?

That was my gateway knife (0450) and since then it’s been a gratifying (albeit costly) roller coaster!

WARNING: You’re already addicted. Escalation is inevitable and we’re all enablers!

PS: I propose you pull out your whole collection for a family photo, then attach it to this thread. We like pictures—even if it’s not some supercarbontimascus custom!

I REALLY like the look of the ZT 0566! Stepping up to Zero Tolerance is definitely in the plans, just slightly out of my price range for the time being. I figured I'd focus on getting a few of the cheaper EDCs that people consider "must haves" first and then I would start increasing the quality as I learn more about knives and what I like personally. And you're right... Totally addicted already!

As soon as the Leek Carbon Fiber and the blacked out Blur arrive, I'll get the family together for a photo. :D

I'm actually gonna check out the local pawn shops today for the hell of it, so who knows, maybe there'll be some new additions by then.

tenor.gif

Welcome! Welcome! Welcome! Don't mind the madness!

Thanks man!

Last edited:
Just wait until you start looking at customs. The pit is indeed bottomless, its only a matter of time until you take the step.

I was just looking through the thread about the knife that sold for $414,000 at an auction. Wow...

I can definitely recommend a Delica. Sort of a must-try, in my opinion.

A Delica (or possibly a Leatherman out of "necessity") will very likely be my next knife purchase...

Although...

I just noticed BladeHQ is selling the discontinued Kershaw Dimension for $30 right now... I know the blade is crap, but it would be cool to get a feel for titanium scales on the cheap. The blade could just be sharpening stone fodder while I learn (look at me try to justify it). Someone talk me out of it...

Back