New to Japanese knives, first purchase.

I am new to Japanese knives. Just purchased one. It is a Shiro Kamo white #2 petty. Anyone using this knife? Just want feedback from anyone using this knife, or owning a knife from this brand.

White 2 can rust very easily. Best to wash with hot water and ensure you wipe the knife dry with a cloth after completed use.

Always do. Got in the habit with all my knives, especially carbon steel ones.

I probably should have made clear that I am not new to knives or sharpening. Over 50 years experience with both. Just new to Jknives.

Seems you got the wrong impression from my suggestion. White 2 will rust faster than any carbon steel you've probably dealt with.
It rusts faster than Blue 2. Leave a WH2 knife wet standing in a dishrack, go have dinner, and by the time you're ready to do the dishes you'll see orange.

Also Jknives are best sharpened with water stones, in case your sharpening doesn't include that.

You should go over to KKF if you want user opinions on your Kamo.
Not many Jknife people here, just a couple.

Last edited:
Didn’t get wrong impression. Have many waterstones for my Edge Pro. Not worried about sharpening.

A soft wood one I got from CKTG a while back. Don’t remember the brand or anything. It was a large order in which I also got my Edge Pro.

I always make sure to dry my carbon blades with paper towels. Regular dish towels can leave water droplets behind. I also tend to acid etch my carbon blades; seems to help with the patina and metallic taste some foods can get from the surface steel of the knife reacting to foods, especially fruits or foods with acids. Acid etching will bring out the layers more and darken the core steel. I etched my Tanaka Sekiso and I really like the way it looks! The cladding will be a matte grey and the edge will turn dark grey.

Back