New to me Randall

huntnfishin

Gold Member
Hi all. I recently picked up a Randall 8-4 and was wondering if anybody could tell me much about how old it is. I really like it. Always wanted one. Feel very fortunate to scratch that itch...anyhow here is a pic or two. If this is the wrong place to post this please let me know...I usually am over in the traditional forum. And yeah I did the patina thing (I know it’s a sin to you collectors) but did so because I’m gonna use it and keep it. I like the steel...gets sharp easy! 292B953A-D886-4D8C-A612-2BC169F977A8.jpeg 48DC64F7-0A7D-4AE7-A353-3E829279C68B.jpeg

Last edited:
Looks to be new,or at least one that was made post 1995 and not used until you got it.
I can't really narrow it down further than that.
The 01 tool steel is slightly easier to sharpen than the stainless RMK use.
I just give mine a light strop,that is all it needs to bring it back to hair popping sharp.
Some would consider it a sin to not use it.
How else would you get to know if its a good knife,by its looks?
Congrats on the pickup!

Thank you sir I figured it was newish. Best knife I have bought in some time. Really light. Good size. Great handle. I did dull that wicked top edge. I need to be able to run my finger to the tip on the spine from time to time.

Nice knife. I love to see a Randall getting some patina. I stuck two of mine into sweet onions for a couple of days.

view
view

stainless is great but so boring.

Last edited:
Nice knife. I love to see a Randall getting some patina. I stuck two of mine into sweet onions for a couple of days. View attachment 1520967
stainless is great but so boring.
Truer words were never spoken. I didn’t know much about Randall’s except a couple older guys I knew when I was younger who took me on hunting trips carried them. One was an ex marine. They both had 8-4s and loved them. I always admired them but couldn’t pull the trigger until I found this for a smokin deal. Then of course I patina it right away and go down the web rabbit hole reading all I can about their history/construction etc. And how everyone collects them. Had no idea. Thought for sure I’d get flamed for microwaving a lemon and rubbing it up a bit. I like to start with a nice even patina and let it develop from there.
Anyhow cool knives! Great pic!

That's a nice knife, OP! I'm fondling my Model 3 as I type this, heehee. Just be warned, it won't be your last Randall!
Oh, and all of my Randall knives are stainless. No more carbon steels for me! I'm OCD when it comes to my knives and firearms...and tools.

Back