No love for the large 25?

Dogdrawz

Gold Member
I know this subject has been beaten to death with all the forums/videos/threads, please forgive the millionth thread on this subject, but I just purchased one & this certain model intrigues me.

I've only owned a large Inkosi & liked it a good bit, but IMO the 25 seemed to be a model stuck in some sort of upside down, in-between that is resulting in a "I don't like it as much, nor do I hate it" world.

I can not find the love for this model as much as the 21 (understandably), nor can I find the likabilty (likeability) like that of the Inkosi. So I guess I'm just asking if anyone here just plain loves this model better than the 21 or the Inkosi? Did you improve it somehow to make it better than its younger & older siblings?

Will this model end up being the red-headed step child of the CRK line? (no offense to red heads nor step children, God loves us all).

In the end, I'm happy to once again own one of Mr. Reeves tools & look forward to owning a few more.

Last edited:
I’m positively indifferent to it, if that makes sense. Each model has its charm. The 25/Inkosi is not quite “there” IMO. I’m a 21/Regular fella. BUT I still own multiple inkosis and still use my only large 25 a ton, especially in the woods, and don’t think twice about its beatings. I’ve sanded down the butt and head of it just for fun and plan to shorten it even more, to make it a medium. Maybe I’ll get there and maybe not. It’s a great knife, all CRKs are great knives, but I look forward to another/its next iteration.

The 25 was a stepping stone to the Inkosi. Simple as that.

The 21 and Inkosi are the perfected final Gen of the Classic and 25 Imo.

Until things change!?

I really like 25s. It was my first CRK.
Lock side Inlays look better on 25 (all both styles of them).
I like the washers better on the 25, as they’re actually covered by the tang. I have four 25s, and they all seem smoother than my large inkosi.

The stop pin arrangement is complex on the 25.
Can’t get an insingo or tanto 25.

Also, 25s were made right in the middle of the heat treat change and birth card update confusion, so hard to say what heat treat you’re getting. A lot of post 2013s out there with the old “V” tang stamp.

Last edited:
The Sebenza 25 is the 25th year Sebenza. It lived for four years and was reborn as the Inkosi with some changes. Many felt the 25 didn't fit in the Sebenza family. Thus, CRK listened and the 25 was retired and replaced with the Inkosi.
For me, there wasn't enough change to replace my 25's with Inkosi's. I like my three Inkosi's as well as the eight 25's I have.
Here's the 25's I have. So yes, there's love down here in the South for the 25

G32WKEu.jpg

I haven't even taken ownership of my second one & that pic gives me the itchy trigger finger. Dang it, dang it, dang it!

...A lot of post 2013s out there with the old “V” tang stamp.

Is this a bad thing?

The one I purchased had this description: (...with B13 indicating a 2Q 2013 manufacture date, the blade tang is marked with a "V")

Not that it's all that important, I just wanted a good user.

Is this a bad thing?

Not necessarily.
AFAIK, the new three point V indicates the new 59-60 heat treat, started in mid 2013. Blades with older 5 point V had the 58-59 treat.

However they must have built ahead, profiled (and V stamped) a lot of 25 blades before the heat treat change (before those blade were treated), because there are some borthcards out there well into 2015 with 5 point V stamps. Although they are likely 59-60.

I think most would say the impact of the heat treat change is negligible anyway.

Not necessarily.
AFAIK, the new three point V indicates the new 59-60 heat treat, started in mid 2013. Blades with older 5 point V had the 58-59 treat.

However they must have built ahead, profiled (and V stamped) a lot of 25 blades before the heat treat change (before those blade were treated), because there are some borthcards out there well into 2015 with 5 point V stamps. Although they are likely 59-60.

I did not know how many 25 blades spanned the change - sounds like more than a few. When I asked CRK about my 25 (late May 2013) I was told that the only way to tell was to have it hardness tested, since their records would not provide that information. I was also told that there were blades made ahead that have the old V and the newer heat treat, specifically mentioning Tanto 21s.

And yes, I like my 25. I have a large Inkosi as well but carry the 25 more.

25 all the way for me. I like the straight clip and bronze bushings.

Is there a small 25?

I have seen some people make reference to their 25 in this thread specifically as “large 25s” but I thought all 25s were large?

Bring us a medium sebenza already!

Might as well bring the Umfaan back too while they’re at it.

The 25 was my first introduction to CR folders. A nice blue anondized example. Then obtained “several” 21’s. Finally an Inkosi. Really appreciate the thickness and overall beefiness of the 25 and Inkosi. Carry all three models interchangeably. The 21 for me is more of a classic collectible, and have some “woodies” and Damascus, CF, and two PJ users. Like the 25 as much as the rest, and frankly see no reason for its alleged dislike. “Can’t we all just get along” and enjoy whatever CRK we choose to carry?

Love my plain 25, carry it all the time. I also have a 21, and a Zaan, and I plan on buying an Insingo Inkosi. Ill always have the 25. I borrowed a friends Inkosi once, it felt very similar

Is there a small 25?

I have seen some people make reference to their 25 in this thread specifically as “large 25s” but I thought all 25s were large?

Bring us a medium sebenza already!

Might as well bring the Umfaan back too while they’re at it.

No small 25, mostly it's referenced from the bday card which says large Sebenza 25.

Any particular reason why?

No strong reason why. My 25 is plain and the Inkosi has micarta inlays. The inlays make the knife fill out my grip a bit better, while I find disassembly and reassembly a little easier with the 25. I also like the 25's washers more.

Maybe it is because I have had the 25 a lot longer.

Back