1. Welcome to the New & Improved BladeForums. New software info here. Please report problems in Tech Support, and read existing threads before posting! - Spark
  2. I've changed the default forum style to Flat Awesome based on feedback. Don't like it? Click here to change how the forums look Feedback on this is welcome here.

Non-Toxic knife oils?

Discussion in 'General Knife Discussion' started by SwampVoodoo, Feb 12, 2012.

1. SwampVoodoo

SwampVoodoo

Aug 7, 2010
    Subject pretty much says it all. What are some good oil choices for a knife that may occasionally be used for food prep?

2. hatchetjack

hatchetjack

May 24, 2005
    Mineral oil.

3. OhShoot

OhShoot

Jan 23, 2011
    I don't worry about it. An occasional few parts per million at worst of any oil ain't gonna hurt anybody.

- OS

4. brets-ftw

brets-ftw

Sep 11, 2010
    second on Mineral oil. its people friendly and doesnt rot like food based oils will, nor is it toxic. Another good one is ballistol and WD-40 which are simply pressurized versions of Mineral Oil. though they have a . . . . tangier taste i guess you could say

5. qcoder

qcoder

Jun 1, 2008
    +1 :thumbup:

Mineral oil is the only thing I've used so far but I am considering trying Fluid Film if I can find it locally. Fluid film isn't exactly labeled as being 'food safe' but I think it is non-toxic and hopefully the trace amounts left after using it won't hurt.

6. Cynic2701

Cynic2701

Mar 31, 2009
    Give beeswax or chapstick a try.

7. Orion's Belt

Orion's Belt

Mar 15, 2010
    I hear FrogLube is awesome. I've yet to try it, but it is supposed to be 100% non-toxic.

8. elkins45

elkins45

Jun 17, 2006
    Mineral oil, unsalted lard, palm oil, beeswax, coconut oil, soy wax. Mineral oil is the established and proven choice, and it is readily available. It also makes a good honing fluid I am told.

9. amnesia997

amnesia997

Oct 21, 2011
    Gunzilla

10. Tim616

Tim616

Sep 13, 2011
    Mineral oil ^5th powa.

11. flash900

flash900 Platinum Member Platinum Member

Jan 17, 2010
    I'm a big fan of WD-40, but where did you get the information that it is simply pressurized Mineral Oil?

My can of WD-40 warns that it is a breathing hazard that contains petroleum distilates: "Harmful or fatal if swallowed."

That's how the company describes its own product.

12. Esav Benyamin

Esav Benyamin MidniteSuperMod Staff Member Super Mod

Apr 6, 2000
    "Mineral oil" is a term for a whole range of products from the same source. Properly referenced "food grade mineral oil" is what we want as a lubricant. It is refined more than other similar products. You can get it at a pharmacy.

13. Planterz

Planterz Basic Member Basic Member

Mar 26, 2004
    Next to the Exlax.

14. Fanglekai

Fanglekai

Jan 7, 2007
    Food grade mineral oil is the only thing I use on my knives. It works and you can eat it. It's also readily available and cheap.

15. OldSarSwmr

OldSarSwmr

Jan 1, 2010
    Definitely "food grade" mineral oil, dirt cheap by comparison to other lubricants...plus it will keep ya regular :p

16. Harpoon1

Harpoon1

Apr 3, 2011
    +1 Cheap, readily available and works well.

Having said that, Japanese Camellia Oil is excellent second choice. Actually it would be my first choice based on performance, however, it's more expensive and harder to find. It seems to be a little less viscous, less messy to apply, than M.O., at least to me. Both work well and are "food safe".

17. Arathol

Arathol

Jan 1, 2003
    The primary active ingredient in WD40 is Stoddards solvent, 51% by volume. Stoddards solvent is an aliphatic hydrocarbon similiar to kerosene but more refined. WD40 does contain mineral oil, 15% by volume. A drop or two probably won't hurt you but its not something you want to use regularly for food preparation.

18. flash900

flash900 Platinum Member Platinum Member

Jan 17, 2010
    I would follow the manufacturer's recommendation on this one.

19. ctk123

ctk123

Feb 1, 2009
    I use frog lube on my knives, AR15, and Glock. It's a great lube, very slick, and it stays in place pretty well, too. I really bought it because its non-toxic, as I love cleaning and lubing my guns and knives frequently. Just one less thing to give me cancer, haha.

20. FortyTwoBlades

FortyTwoBlades Baryonyx walkeri Dealer / Materials Provider

Mar 8, 2008
    Another option would be Ballistol. I use mineral oil, though.