Northern Undertaker

I took the Condor up to a major river to play with while metal detecting. I got a few deep iron hits with the detector but the ground is still semi frozen, so those will have to wait. I have pulled 1700's trade axes, knives, rings etc from this area. The river bank was extremely treacherous to walk with mud as slippery as owl snot, and sliding into that icy river was not an attractive proposal. So I checked out the upper bank. The river break up ice sheared trees etc. so I whacked one with the Undertaker. It was a factory edge and bit medium well. It can be improved with some work. I was yelling for momma blackies with cubs but I saw no sign. I had the Condor on my detecting utility pouch belt and it's weight was fine even with other gear. I still can't seat the knife all the way into the sheath to snap the retainer closed. I suppose that it will break in but it's a bit of a pain in the arse. I like this knife. It is great fun.

I took the Condor up to a major river to play with while metal detecting...........
Sounds like my dream outing of the year. I envy you that kind of detecting experience. I live in an area that’s rich in history (first settled >400 years ago), but so populated these days that you can’t dig up your own back yard without pissing off some nosey yuppie and bringing the full weight of the local gov’t down on your throat. Detecting in “public land” in my area is as sensible and likely to go unmolested as shooting shotguns at hand-thrown clay pigeons in the park in front of city hall (i.e: not too damn likely). Enjoy what you have while you enjoy it!

Thanks for sharing a very enjoyable outing. :) :thumbsup:

Thanks. I got to walk in the pines and those smells put me back together, after the stressors of life. All I heard was the wind, grinding ice, and an early evening Coyote.:thumbsup:

Thanks for sharing that. Great pics. Is the sheath u speak of factory?

Yes sir. The sheath is insanely snug. I treated the sheath with Dubbin and left it over night to soak up. Then I slathered the blade with mineral oil and it sat in sheath for 24-36 hours now. It is already becoming more accommodating after a few in/out cycles, and sitting in it, but it still will not go a slight hair deep enough for me to engage the retaining snap.

Sounds like my dream outing of the year. I envy you that kind of detecting experience. I live in an area that’s rich in history (first settled >400 years ago), but so populated these days that you can’t dig up your own back yard without pissing off some nosey yuppie and bringing the full weight of the local gov’t down on your throat. Detecting in “public land” in my area is as sensible and likely to go unmolested as shooting shotguns at hand-thrown clay pigeons in the park in front of city hall (i.e: not too damn likely). Enjoy what you have while you enjoy it!

Buddy I'm not rich, good looking, or all that smart. But I do have enough self cognizance to see the freedom in my circumstances, and to appreciate these simple pleasures....I wish you the best this year in your detecting. B.T.W., my first time out this year I popped a nice gold ring in a city park. I'll take that luck any day.:thumbsup:

Buddy I'm not rich, good looking, or all that smart......
God only knows how much I wish I was any one of those things! In the meantime, my “life” (?) will continue as it is---with altogether too-easily offended dipsticks screaming to local LE any time anybody whips out a metal detector anywhere in the area...

Yes sir. The sheath is insanely snug. I treated the sheath with Dubbin and left it over night to soak up. Then I slathered the blade with mineral oil and it sat in sheath for 24-36 hours now. It is already becoming more accommodating after a few in/out cycles, and sitting in it, but it still will not go a slight hair deep enough for me to engage the retaining snap.

Kinda like breaking in a new baseball glove.:D u could get a sexy custom job made up for it. Lol

Looks very fun. I see detectors here every time I go to the beach, typically between Malibu and Oxnard, CA. I've never seen one molested. I even saw one guy metal detecting at a local park, digging down every so often. If I wasn't playing handball with my son, I'd have asked how his day had been going.

Back