1. Welcome to the New & Improved BladeForums. New software info here. Please report problems in Tech Support, and read existing threads before posting! - Spark
  2. I've changed the default forum style to Flat Awesome based on feedback. Don't like it? Click here to change how the forums look Feedback on this is welcome here.

Notice to the Becker family regarding my Sheaths.

Discussion in 'Becker Knife & Tool' started by thrillbilly, Jun 23, 2012.

1. thrillbilly

thrillbilly Banned BANNED

Apr 16, 2011
    I bought a few knives, decided I preferred kydex sheaths, researched and realized I couldn't afford that many sheaths...and decided I would make them myself for myself.

I got offers to buy from a couple friends, so I went Orange just to be courteous to the forum owner, I never intended to make this a business. I just didnt feel right selling even a couple without paying the proper fees.

I have been swamped with emails and PMs, and as nice as it it is to get orders, which means people trust and like my work.....it has become a burden. I have knives I have never used, and more then half of my OWN knives are still sheath-less. It has been a long while since I went out and used my Beckers in the woods.

That being said, I am stopping all orders. I may or may not make sheaths and offer them for sale.....when I feel like it and have the free time. So if you are interested in a Ogre sheath, keep an eye out on the Exchange. I will start a thread and keep it updated with what is available. I appreciate all the business my customers have sent me.....and hope my sheaths are enjoyed and used.

There are several quality kydex benders on here who are full-time, that is their job/income. As a hobbyist I had no intentions of getting involved to that level. All my revenue from sheaths goes back into knives and more kydex supplies....so I aint exactly ''making a living'' at it and it has just become a time drain.

I have a few orders in, which I will complete, so have no fears that I am retiring and disappearing LOL

I enjoy the GAWs and being able to help my friends out...that is what I am gonna focus on.

To sum it up, I am just not taking CUSTOM orders anymore...I will be making sheaths, and will post them for sale ''ready-made''. This way I can enjoy my hobby, provide some products to my customers...and maintain my Life. I am the type who worries about deadlines and hates having people waiting on me, it is a serious emotional drag for me...knowing someone ordered a sheath and are waiting for it. It makes me feel bad and it just aint worth it, I want to enjoy knives and sheath-making...not make it a ''job'' that I dread.

*I posted this here because I only make sheaths for Beckers really and I wanted the 'Heads and other Becker users to get this message.

Thanks for your time,
    Clayton

Becker Content :)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. crimsonfalcon07

crimsonfalcon07

Dec 27, 2010
    I hear you on that buddy. Although I do hope that you'll still be able to finish the customs for me :D

Being a hobbyist maker is definitely nice, and it's nice to work on the projects that you want to. Best of luck to you!

3. thrillbilly

thrillbilly Banned BANNED

Apr 16, 2011
    Like I said, any definite orders i have in will be finished and sent out as agreed.

4. The Warrior

The Warrior Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 11, 2011
    BTW, I want to place an order for a....:D Good luck to ya TB.

5. Eero

Eero

May 6, 2012
    I was talking with a friend today who is a Harley mechanic and he said that when he was in high school a teacher told him to turn his hobby into his career and then he could just have fun all day, every day. I like the idea of having fun all day...everyday. Full time sheath maker thrillbilly? You seem to maybe be working up to it. I've been reading this forum for a year and a half or so (only recently started posting) and I've seen your craft/fit/finish/designs evolve in a great way. Keep it up. Who knows.

6. MikeyJ

MikeyJ

Apr 30, 2010
    Well said TB, and thanks for being up front about it. I prefer honesty above all else and your post proves what I already knew...that you're a stand up guy! Good on you!!

Now go have some fun beating up your knife collection!! :thumbup:

7. cbwoods67

cbwoods67 Platinum Member Platinum Member

Oct 12, 2010
    When a hobby quits being a hobby, it stops being fun. I know what you mean about not wanting to be obligated to do something that you enjoy doing at your own discretion.
    Best of luck.

8. flipaldinho

flipaldinho

Jan 18, 2012
    Thanks for posting this. The honesty is always appreciated! Hope you find some more time to enjoy your lesser used Beckers. That 17 looks like it could use some quality time :)

9. tradewater

tradewater Geezerator Moderator

Jan 24, 2011
    I know how you feel Thrill. Been down that road a couple of times. Just back off til it's fun again.

10. lowery399

lowery399

Sep 26, 2011
    I agree buddy.....when it's like work it isn't very much fun anymore.

11. daizee

daizee KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Dec 30, 2009
    Good call amigo, and well presented. This is why I mainly do my own designs and set delivery expectations early. as you know. ;-)

-Daizee

12. Catmouth

Catmouth

Apr 3, 2012
    So wait, I can't order my 9,16,14,13 piggyback super-rig anymore? Haha.

I totally understand. Cool of you letting us know before you burnout and get in over your head. Lots of good people get a bad rap when they get in that position. Take a break and do it when it is fun for you. I am sure there will be a market when and if you want to ramp up production again.

Wait so that make mine collectors items! Off to the exchange! :D

13. Skystorm

Skystorm A Cow Flayin' Sheath Making Angry Gnome

Oct 17, 2011
    I can completely understand TB. Even though I know my sheaths take time to build I still hate having orders hanging over my head, You start feeling bad taking anytime for yourself. I will be doing something similar next summer. Take some time off and go chop some stuff down.

14. Skimo

Skimo

Mar 28, 2009
    TB, man, that is honesty and integrity. :thumbup:

15. trailbum

trailbum Gold Member Gold Member

Sep 18, 2010
    Well said Thrill,
    Get out there and have some fun.
    Angryhippie and I came to the same conclusion.

16. gmoneyluv

gmoneyluv Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 4, 2012
    Great post TB,

There's no point in turning a hobby you enjoy into something you dread doing. Much respect to you for making this decision.

17. mrn8

mrn8

Jun 8, 2007
    Well, I'm glad I was able to get one of your sheaths! Well, actually my wife has it now, she liked the 16 and it's hers.

You really did go from experimenting to great work in a short amount of time. I understand your reasoning on going orange, too. Seeing as these opportunities wouldn't arise, otherwise, it's definitely the choice someone with integrity would make. It feels a bit like extortion...but honestly, the membership fee is much less than I've run into for a small vendor at other forums.

18. K9-Handler

K9-Handler

Jan 27, 2012
    Oh, sure. Give everyone a taste and then withdraw. Just like the drug dealer you are! :D

No, really. Can't say any more than what has been said here. Much better that you do it this way than get way behind and fill yourself and customers with frustration.

19. Guyon

Guyon Biscuit Whisperer Staff Member Super Mod Gold Member

Mar 15, 2000
    So this is the order thread? Do you have a catalog yet? Do you have a pattern for a Hibben Eye of Drakonus?

:D :p

20. LG&M

LG&M

Dec 19, 2005
    If I lived closer to ya I would come over and help... Make sheaths and play with your knives. :D