1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Now that I am a gold member

Discussion in 'General Knife Discussion' started by okiesmokie, May 17, 2018.

1. okiesmokie

okiesmokie Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 9, 2014
    how do I sell off my knife collection some I have had for years. I am 83 and in bad health and need to sell them.

2. LuckyC

LuckyC

Feb 3, 2010
    bflying, valknut and shinyedges like this.
  3. SpySmasher

SpySmasher Platinum Member Platinum Member

Sep 1, 2016
    Sorry to hear about your poor health.

danbot and valknut like this.
  4. shinyedges

shinyedges Every man's intelligence is a god Platinum Member

Jun 5, 2012
    Read around on the forums a bit. Get a feel for the tempo and rules that govern this site. Then you'll find the proper sub forums for questions such as this.

Good luck. Hope your health turns around.

danbot, b00n and marcinek like this.
  5. Dadpool

Dadpool Gold Member Gold Member

May 18, 2015
    Visit the Exchange:

https://www.bladeforums.com/categories/the-knife-exchange.672/

Specifically, the subforum For Sale by Individuals:

https://www.bladeforums.com/categories/for-sale-by-individuals.681/

And then the correct subforum for the type of knives you want to sell.

Here are the rules for the Exchange:

https://www.bladeforums.com/help/exchange-rules/

As a new seller with no feedback on the forums, you may also find it helpful to participate here in areas outside the Exchange so that folks can get a sense for what you might be like to deal with when buying knives from you.

6. gazz98

gazz98 Gold Member Gold Member

Sep 3, 2008
    Read some of the posts in the For Sale section. That will give you an idea of how to set up your For Sale thread and what kind of information people look for.

People also prefer dealing with online payments, namely paypal. If you don't have a paypal account, you might want to go to the site and read up on how online transactions are handled if you aren't familiar with them.

Sonnydaze likes this.
  7. Sonnydaze

Sonnydaze Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 6, 2009
    READ THE RULES FOR SELLING..."
    "SECTION 2 - Rules/Procedures for Selling, Buying, Trading, & Offering Services:"
    https://www.bladeforums.com/help/exchange-rules/

folding, fixed blades, traditional, custom.
    Within each group, for each knife, write down the company and model number, condition (used, new in box, etc), blade-steel, blade length, overall length (or length of grip), grip material...titanium, aluminum, G10, carbon fiber, and so forth.
    List the price that you expect to get for them... (this is subject to great variation).
    Study a few of the knives for sale within the categories that you own.
    Go to one category...i.e. individual sales, folding knives...and click on "Post New Thread" at top right on screen.
    Remember, you need pics of your knives...nearly a must-have...and you can post them within the ad or send them by email to interested parties.
    When your ad is finished...click on Review your ad and see if it's okay with you. Then click on Post the ad...
    good luck and READ PLENTY of "applicable" sales ads before you do your own. Many of them can be used as a sample (partial) boilerplate for your use.
    don

8. jimmyd1982

jimmyd1982

Mar 23, 2011
    Dadpool likes this.
  9. Sonnydaze

Sonnydaze Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 6, 2009
    Excellent suggestion. Nearly ALL sales are handled as PayPal...Goods and Services... ALSO note that PayPal sales handled as "Friends and Family" are generally (in my history) very rare and usually against PayPal rules.
    Get this set up in advance...with your Credit card, bank or credit union.

Last edited: May 17, 2018
  10. NJBillK

NJBillK Custom Leather and Fixed Blade modifications. Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Mar 27, 2014
    He also needs to post a price.
    As far as posting pics, I don't use imgur. I use the stock photo hosting.
    2017-07-09 13.21.52.png

11. jimmyd1982

jimmyd1982

Mar 23, 2011
    Same. You can also just email the pics to yourself and then redownload them, that usually changes them to a size that can be uploaded.
    Op, I'd advise taking at least 3 pics of any folder you are selling. 1 of each side with the blade open and 1 of the blade centering while the knife is closed.
    Also make sure to highlight any issues with the knife, there are plenty of people that will buy knives with cosmetic issues but if you get a bad rep for not disclosing issues before a sale you'll have a hard time selling anything else.