1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Nyala - Insingo tip rolled over? Can I fix this myself or should I send it in? Pictures.

Discussion in 'Chris Reeve Knives' started by Dullknivescut, May 13, 2018.

1. Dullknivescut

Dullknivescut

Aug 10, 2016
    Pretty much I am not the most experienced with sharpening knives, but am picking up a sharpening kit regardless. Edit: Shortened

Thanks in advance. Would a sharpmaker be fine?
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: May 13, 2018
  2. TRfromMT

TRfromMT Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 4, 2016
    Working carefully on the flat sides of the sharpmaker stones will take just a minute. Be careful to end the stroke with the tip still on the flat of the rod (don't let it slip off, which will round off the tip).

If you have any concerns about your technique, practice on another knife (an old steak knife or kitchen knife even).

Dullknivescut and OLd_gUY like this.
  3. Ajack60

Ajack60 Platinum Member Platinum Member

Apr 21, 2013
    Yes, you can take that burr out without much effort.
    Use a sharpie to mark the edge. It lets you know that you are getting the whole edge and not just part of it.

Dullknivescut and OLd_gUY like this.
  4. Dullknivescut

Dullknivescut

Aug 10, 2016
    Thanks I appreciate your answers, this was my first noticeable burr. I don’t have the box cutter or usual cheap knife to cut up cardboard and I believe along with the insingo shape after months of testing this thing on boxes it showed up. I’ll do my research.

5. bart1

bart1 Gold Member Gold Member

May 24, 2009
    Might have hit a box staple, I've done it before.

6. Dullknivescut

Dullknivescut

Aug 10, 2016
    I found this quote from me Reeve himself
    I see here he says you can use even a cardboard or back of a notebook to strop? I am looking for a leather strop. Edit after some research I guess it doesn’t matter what kind of leather strop, I am still somewhat unsure if I need the compound.

No belts to spare. Should I use any stropping compound or is the sharp maker with leather strop afterwards enough?

Last edited: May 15, 2018 at 10:48 PM
  7. TRfromMT

TRfromMT Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 4, 2016
    I was only speaking of the repair, specifically at the tip. Otherwise, follow the DVD instructions with the sharpmaker. Point being don't do more damage with poor technique.

Making a strop is easy, but lots of quality strops out there for not too much money.

Learning what works well for you is part of learning to enjoy your knives as a whole.

Dullknivescut likes this.
  8. Dullknivescut

Dullknivescut

Aug 10, 2016
    Yeah I understand about not rounding off the tip and I appreciate your response as I had no idea originally, I’ll definitely practice with some old knives first.

From what I’ve read people use compound and others don’t use any compound ( that green block ), And lastly I agree a ton of strops to choose from. Maybe it sounds silly but I would feel odd stropping Sebenzas on cardboard..

Edit: I found some nice strop blocks on KnivesShipFree, does anyone recommend picking up a compound or should I just go with the strop? @blanco112 @bhyde

Last edited: May 15, 2018 at 11:28 PM
  9. OLd_gUY

OLd_gUY Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 20, 2018
    I am far from an expert but I have found the combo of the Sharpmaker and the strop from Knives Plus to work very well for me. Check out YouTube for videos re: the strop.
    Or email me ( oldguy at sti dot net ) and I'll reply with the address of a video.

Last edited: May 16, 2018 at 5:04 AM
  10. Mike Large

Mike Large Gold Member Gold Member

Jun 24, 2017
    The unbelievably pointy tip CRK puts on all their knives is going to be short lived and damn hard to get back. On users that is. It used to bug me how quick I would loose it on my hard users. If it's still sharp, I wouldn't loose any sleep trying to get back that factory tip... it would be a tough task

11. GermanyChris

GermanyChris

Feb 18, 2015
    Yup just sharpen it out.

I did worse damage than that when I put the SYE in my Jeep a couple months ago

12. Dullknivescut

Dullknivescut

Aug 10, 2016
    Is putting compound on the strop necessary if I’m going to be using the fine stones beforehand or it’s unnecessary? Thanks for your response guys I’ll send you an email in a bit as well @OLd_gUY

Edit: Since KSP is an approved dealer here to my knowledge it should be fine I post these links.

https://www.knivesshipfree.com/bark-river-sharpening-kit-ksf-double-sided-hone-w-compound/ - with compound

https://www.knivesshipfree.com/bark...rop-hone-for-maintaining-convex-grind-knives/ - without

Last edited: May 16, 2018 at 2:43 PM
  13. HST

HST Gold Member Gold Member

Apr 2, 2015
    Pro Tip: keep using it as you were.

OCD: continue to hper-focus on a small spot that won’t affect performance besides your own mind’s.

If that knife is still sharp, then use it until it’s dull. If it needs sharpening, then go ahead and fix that spot. It’s a tool that’s meant to be used, it’s gonna have marks and edge deformities. IMO, that edge implies signs of use.

Just use it. It will continue to serve you well.

14. Dullknivescut

Dullknivescut

Aug 10, 2016
    It’s not as sharp all around as I’d like it to be, the extra spot was just the icing on the cake. I haven’t sharpened it since I got it.

So far I’ve read green compound can be a bit rough when using on the strop, so I’m thinking I’ll hit it with a sharp maker fine stone at 40 degrees, and then use the 12k grit white bark river compound on a strop and finish with just plain strop no compound.

https://www.knivesshipfree.com/bark...s/bark-river-white-sharpening-compound-1-bar/ according to DLT it’s 12K grit and pretty much the finest compound from them, recommended via KSF.

15. Mike Large

Mike Large Gold Member Gold Member

Jun 24, 2017
    My ultra fine stones get it sharper than even needed. No need for a strop after

lex2006 likes this.