Smoke needed for many people - Please post needs here

Stacy E. Apelt - Bladesmith

ilmarinen - MODERATOR
Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider
One of the gals at the store tested positive for Covid, on Wednesday, so Thursday morning I closed the store until Monday and sent everyone home for testing.

Yesterday afternoon Judy and I went for Covid tests. She was negative, I was positive. I have zero symptoms, clear chest x-ray, and no fever. They gave me prophylactic antibiotics and a cough medication in case I developed a cough, and said to stay home for 10 days and I'd be fine. That took about two hours, so all-in-all, not too bad. Judy has a cold, but no Covid. They told her to wear a mask and not share stuff with me. So we went home, sterilized the place top to bottom, made some safety protocols to keep Judy safe, wear masks all the time, and went to bed perfectly content with the new-normal last night.

At 2AM I was awoken by a huge THUD. I thought a tree had fallen on the house. I jumped out of bed to find Judy on the floor between the bed and her bathroom ... out cold. When I checked her there was blood all over the carpet. I got her to come to and put a towel on the large gash on the back of her head. She had got up to pee and didn't wait to be fully awake and evidently passed out because she didn't let her blood pressure rise from its prone sleeping status to that of an awake and upright person. She had keeled over backward and smacked her head on the carpet. Thank God it was carpet. The 40mm long gash was nasty looking but the bleeding stopped almost immediately (as these type cuts normally do). I gave her all the tests for lucidity and she was fine. We got her up to go sit on the toilet. Her eyes worked fine and pupils reactive as they should be. She knew where she was, what happened, the date ... everything ... even that it was now my birthday. She smiled and wished me a happy birthday. I bandaged her head, cleaned her up, got her dressed ... and off we go to the ER at 2:30AM.

Of course I can't go in with her because I have tested positive. That really didn't matter, because they don't let anyone in any farther than the check-in table right now. Once the patient is at the check-in table anyone with them has to leave the building, anyway. I go to the car and sit out in the cold .. OK, it is a BENZ with heated seats and great heater, but it was lonely and to tell you the truth, I was scared.

So, two hours later and I call the ER to check on her. They say she is fine and they are waiting on the test results before discharging her in 30-40 minutes. OK, that sounds good!

Judy calls me a few minutes later and sounds great. She is just waiting in a room for the x-ray results and blood work to come back. She was chipper, and except that she was tired, felt fine. She said they told her they would be sending her home in a bit. Katina (my daughter, the nurse, who worked at this hospital until a few months ago) came over to the parking lot to keep me company from her car 20 feet away ( she ain't getting near anyone with Covid because of her work).

By 6AM it was pretty good guess that she wasn't getting discharged when they said. Judy called and said the x-rays were all OK, but they wanted to keep her for the day and send her home tomorrow morning. They were going to put a heart monitor on her to make sure she didn't pass out because of a heart problem. This isn't really out of the norm, as hospitals both love to get a full day's fee for cardio patients and they can charge Medicare $200 for an aspirin. Judy was OK with that and mostly just wanted something to eat.
Most likely they will keep her in the ER and not even put her in a room. Katina says they can hold her in the ER for 23 hours observation.

So, I am home alone now on my birthday, feeling fine even though they say I have Covid. Judy is in a hospital bed on a heart monitor even though they said she was OK she does not have Covid.

Well, that's all for now. I'll keep you posted.

Stacy

Last edited:
Smoke and prayers from Montana, hopefully her fall was just a fluke and everything checks out ok.

Thanks.

My wonderful daughter went home after we left the hospital and made me up a gift bag. She called and said it was on the front porch. She is normally in bet at 6AM because she works the night duty at the facility she cares for. But today, she went to the hospital to check on me. She offered to stay there and let me go home and sleep (not a chance), called me after I had time to get home to make sure I was OK, then went shopping and packed a bright bag full of Clorox wipes, vitamin C, Afrin, other health and cleaning goodies, and a little box of chocolates for my birthday. I am so damn proud of her I have tears in my eyes.

I'm going to try and lay down now and see if I can catch a nap.

Happy birthday and good luck to you and your family Stacy! Sounds like you and your wife have a great support system in place, hope you all get through this unscathed and in short order.

That's a wild couple of days!

Sending smoke and prayers. Happy birthday Stacy!

Happy Birthday?

Damn, sorry to hear about all that. Hopefully everything ends up Ok.

Stacy - several things....

first ... probably good they are keeping your wife for observation- you don’t want to mess with a head impact like that. Too many things can pop up later, and there are some unusual things that can cause a fall like that...

second - happy birthday! Sorry the circumstances are so ... not relaxing...

third, if you have COVID ... do you have a pulse oximeter? If not, get one and check you ox levels at least twice a day. If you are not aware, something is weird about the virus that your oxygen levels can creep down without symptoms, and that in and of itself produces lung damage. Prompt intervention with oxygen therapy interrupts that damage cycle.

can’t you go home and sleep and react to a phone call to pick up your wife?

Smoke, prayers, and best wishes sent.
I guess this will be a memorable b-day.

Careful about that Covid. I noticed in my ER around day 5-7 after diagnosis is when a lot of people start getting really sick.
Glad your wife is doing better. Surprised they didn't send her home with a halter monitor if they were concerned about arrhythmia.
Smoke and prayers!

Hey Stacy!

Happy birthday, and speedy recovery for both of you! Keep the fluids up!

Crazy times. Happy b-day and wish you and your family all the best, speedy recovery to both of you!

Back