"Old" AFCK/Mini AFCK & Random Task

Am curious to know what people think of the mini AFCK in particular. Does it seem like a small knife? It's stats make it sound fairly decent-sized, actually. The AFCK seems to be a pretty big knife, isn't it? Can someone compare it to the CRKT KFF size-wise?

Can't persuade myself I have the money, but Bayou LaFourche is closing both knives out at what seems like good prices to me. I think a bit lower even than they sell used on the individual forum.

I've also been fascinated with the Kershaw Random Task, more than the other Speed Safe knives. Have you-all held on to them, or sold traded them for the most part? They're on sale too, at what seems like a good price too.

I know I could search, but want to know whether people prefer the newer or older BMs, and in general whether they find the RT to be a useful knife.

Thanks,

------------------
Asi es la vida

Bugs

I have owned both the AFCK and mini-AFCK.
Bought the mini about 5-6 years ago, and carried it daily for almost two years. Got the AFCK, and carried it daily for three years.
Still have the mini, and a coworker got my AFCK just this week (he's been wanting it for the last two years).
The AFCK still had solid lockup and zero blade play in spite of the fact that I'm a "flicker", and constantly played with it. Edge-holding was good, and I don't think I can get a better edge on a knife than I could the AFCK. Very ergonomic handles, though slightly large for my hands.
I only got rid of it because it had not been carried much since I bought a 710HS, and even less after getting a small Sebenza and a custom.
The Mini-AFCK I have is still functional, but I stopped using it last year when I discovered I could force the lock with hand strength (not torque, just pushing). Not bad for a knife that was carried daily for two years, and still used for three more. The clip was ripped off (sheared a couple of screws) when I was ejected from a car in a wreck 5 years ago, and went bouncing down the interstate. I actually bought the AFCK 'cause I wanted something bigger, and that still had a clip attached! A little small for me, but it's been a great knife-retired now, though.
That Random Task is a sharp looking knife, but I have no experience with Kershaw, and don't know anything about their 440V (heat treat, etc.).

Personally, I'd go for the AFCK, unless you have very small hands. If you're worried about QC (I've seen your posts) have Roger inspect the knife for you before shipping.

I do not have a pic of the mini-AFCK, but could scan it next to another knife if you'd like a size comparison (has to be another knife I own
smile.gif
).

Random Task is beautiful - esp. scales, ergonomic, non threatening looking, well executed by Kershaw... One of my favorites.

Blade shape on RT is one of most useful around - offers actual blade as much as many 4 in blades. If you need tip for delicate cutting
RT's tip far better than AFCK's. Still RT's tip might be stronger than AFCK's.

I got better edge on my RT than my other S60V blades - but I use lansky on RT and sharpmaker on spydercos. If I'd use as much time with sharpmaker as I'm forced to use with lansky I probably would get as sharp edge but I consider sharpmaker fast touch up sharpener and do heavy sharpening and some knives with lansky.

I find RT to be far more useful (and ergonomic) than AFCK. Polished G-10 scales obviously dont offer traction compared to nonpolished g-10 scales but I still don't find them too slippery.

About AFCKs: If I was you I'd go for old AFCK as the hole is round. Tip down hole in blade knives are made for drop opening IMO and round hole is better drop opener. Mini AFCK might be nice daily user but I don't have one. I bought AFCK because it is knife that is many times the baseline when people discuss about knives. It is nice tactical folder but the ergonomics are not perfect for me.

------------------
"Good tools to sustain life, or at least make life more convenient"
-James Mattis

[This message has been edited by Tommi (edited 04-12-2001).]

I bought my mini-AFCK from Bayou LaFourche a few years ago. I was quite pleased with their customer service. I recommend them.

The AFCK series are great for a production folder, imo. You are hard pressed to go wrong in choosing one- especially at that price point.

Of course, I have heard nothing but good things about the Random Tasks...

Bugs3X;

I have both the AFCK and the mini-AFCK in M2 tool steel as well as the Random Task.

I carry the mini-AFCK daily. It is just perfect for me and my small hands and the M2 tool steel required almost no touching up after use,however, when it does get a little dull, M2 is a bit hard to bring back the edge without a diamond sharpener.

The AFCK and the RT remain locked up and get very little use. The AFCK is large and solid and the RT fells a little "light weight" to me and I also had some problems with the slab screws comeing loose (since fixed).

If you want to handle all 3 let me know and we can set up "a viewing"
rolleyes.gif

------------------
Ron,
Bremerton, Washington
0071.gif

love my large AFCK - carry daily - fits my hand better than any other knife i have ( other than my recently acquired smooth handle SIFU, which is very similar in shape - i have large hands though...) why do ya want the mini, if ya dont mind me asking? the regular is easy to carry, and there isnt that much difference in weight - ya might also look at the spyderco centofante, or the small model they too can be had at close out prices, and the centofante weighs almost 1/2 the weight of my AFCK, w/no or very little loss in size of the blade .....

also agree the new BM AFCK oval holes are turds - dont like that oval hole...but like it better than the studs the other new series to replace the AFCK has - they look like cheap old $5 gunshow knives, at first glance anyway - they shoulda payed spyderco some $$ and left good enuff alone IMHO ..get the BM i think.......

vet

Thanks, all of you. I appreciate your offer, Owen, but don't need you to go to that trouble. I can see from the limited pictures I've seen that both the BMs look very similar. I appreciate learning of your extensive experience with both. I have to admit, that I've encountered very few, if any, negative remarks about the quality of the AFCK. As Tommi says, it seems to be a baseline, or standard knife that everyone should have.

Tommi, I appreciate your comments on the RT. I've long been attracted to it, and figured at the retail price point, it has to be better quality than my Whirlwind. I truly like the unusual blade shape, it looks extremely useful to me.

Thanks, Erik for recommending Roger. Am midway on my second purchase from him. The first impressed me greatly, and my Scottish soul is salved by most of his prices. (Can't wait for the Polkowski/Kasper to get here!)

Ron, I may take you up on your offer one day soon. I'm ready to loan you the magazines now anyhow, and it would be nice to handle all 3 knives together. I'll be in touch soon.

Vet, I guess I'm interested in having a smaller backup knife than my main carry. I think it would be hard to make me give up my M16 and KFF. Of course, the larger AFCK might be able to do that. I carry the LUS now as second knife, but noted yesterday that one can buy a new Spydie Goddard liteweight at a good price at SMKW. Not sure how long that will last.

The worst problem with the timing on this is, as usual, $$. Have bought 5 knives off the forum and 6 knives from SMKW in the last month. Not a great deal of money, surely, but more than I should have spent. And, of course, ordered the new CRKT Companion yesterday. The main problem with the money, is that I want other knives as well. For sure, want to get the Timberline Vallotten Discovery Lock, and the CRKT Bladelock.

So, need to settle back and make some decisions about priorities, I guess. Of course, the knives on closeout won't be around long, like the others will. So, need to decide pretty soon. If do decide to just buy one soon, will try to remember to come back here and post it.

Thanks again,
smile.gif

------------------
Asi es la vida

Bugs

Back