1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2. Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win a Ka-Bar Becker BK5 Magnum Camp , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!
    Be sure to read the rules before entering, then help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread! Entries close at midnight, Saturday July 27!

Once the entries close, we'll live stream the drawing on Sunday, July 28 at 5PM Eastern. Tune in to our YouTube channel TheRealBladeForums for a chance to win bonus prizes!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

Old school carry

Discussion in 'General Knife Discussion' started by EagleIH, Oct 23, 2018.

1. EagleIH

EagleIH

Dec 5, 2009
    I guess I’m kind of old fashioned. I’ve never really warmed up to pocket clips. I still carry my knife loose in my pocket with keys, change, etc. I’m always carrying too much other stuff to dedicate a whole pocket to just my knife. It always gives me a little stress, though to throw a new knife in my pocket with keys, change, etc., but once it gets some pocket wear, I seem to enjoy the knife more because I can quit worrying about it getting scratched and dinged up. Does anyone still carry loose in the pocket with other stuff these days, or am I one of the last of that breed?

2. Insipid Moniker

Insipid Moniker Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 28, 2011
    Nah, there are plenty of folks that don't care for clips, even if they like modern folders. My dad won't use a pocket clip under any circumstances and I won't carry without one. It's one of the reasons that I like the fact that removable pocket clips have become so ubiquitous.

3. Billy The Blade

Billy The Blade

Jul 30, 2014
    I'm sure your not alone,
    I know I've added a small multi-tool, or small folder in deep pocket carry, but for me it would
    be an addition item to my regular
    clip carry.
    There are options, ofcourse, that you can adopt like a 'slip cover' to
    protect a nicer piece.
    I've seen the 'suspension carry clips' for add-in small items,
    but there's nothing wrong with your carry option...
    Unless, of-course faster access
    is a concern.
    B.T.B.

4. Peter Hartwig

Peter Hartwig Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 29, 2008
    No longer. It took me awhile to warm up to clips, but once I have I am not going back, except in certain circumstance where I don't want to show a clip. When I used to loose carry it was not that uncommon for me to have an escapee. I have mostly eliminated that with the clip(and the way I carry clipped). It did take some time to get used to the feel of the clip in the hand.
    There are a lot of folks that still carry traditionals

[email protected] and Sergeua like this.
  5. dalefuller

dalefuller Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 2, 2005
    I still carry down in my RFP, but that's the only thing I carry in that pocket. It's 100% dedicated to a pocketknife. Been that way for years. Wallet, keys, handkerchief, pocketknife. That's all I carry in my pockets.

BBuser and Prester John like this.
  6. Wolverine666

Wolverine666 Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 7, 2009
    I remove the clips from all my knives. Never cared for clips.

7. SteelJunkee

SteelJunkee Gold Member Gold Member

May 6, 2018
    I try, I try, I try... But I just cant stand clips, I end up removing it on all my knives.

I know they get dirty quicker that way, but I don't mind giving more frequent maintenance to keep it smooth.

A user will always be dinged and scratched anyway. It is more a matter of comfort carrying it.
    Also I only carry the smaller ones in my pockets, larger one is in my knapsack.

Prester John likes this.
  8. Sosa

Sosa

Feb 6, 2014
    Hate it when pocket change lodges iself between the blade and handle. Anything without a clip goes in the watch or back pocket.

W. Anderson likes this.
  9. McFeeli

McFeeli

Feb 13, 2017
    I carry both clipped and loose, though I do prefer the pocket I carry my knives in(right front, always) to be empty. On occasion I’ll toss some change in or my keys, but I always sort it out once I’ve stopped somewhere, like getting back to the car/house/work. I do love watch pocket carry for my traditionals just for that reason. It’s big enough to carry the knife and not a whole helluva lot else.

10. pinnah

pinnah

Jul 28, 2011
    I sew a seam up the side of my right rear pocket and carry a large traditional folder there.

Micra rides loose in my right front pocket.

I can't stand pocket clips or holsters.

Earl1 likes this.
  11. The Zieg

The Zieg

Jan 31, 2002
    Back pocket, vertical up against a handkerchief. Or in the thigh pocket of carpenter's jeans.

Zieg

willc likes this.
  12. SharpieB

SharpieB Gold Member Gold Member

Oct 31, 2017
    Both for me.

Tonight at a band rehearsal I had a tiny Case Texas Toothpick in my front pocket as I don’t want a pocket clip to scratch the hell out of the back of my bass. I carry a Benchmark Bugout without a clip often like this as well. Often while wearing a suit.

Casual dress and on weekends is where I don’t mind clips sticking out of my pocket.

13. red mag

red mag

Apr 12, 1999
    Mainly use clips - that said my EDC goes sans clip in a belt pouch.
    A Delica can ride in a front pocket and be forgotten till used.

14. Stumpy72

Stumpy72 Basic Member Basic Member

Jul 5, 2018
    Around half of the time, my having a pocket clip visible would be like wearing a flag advertising for trouble in weapons-sensitive environments. I have to do discreet concealed carry a lot of the time, so I reserve one pocket for my knife only. Keys and change go in another pocket in order to minimize knife wear.

15. Earl1

Earl1 Basic Member Basic Member

May 11, 2016
    I always have a traditional in my pocket. I have however grown used to having a knife with a clip that I can grab and open if I need it while my other hand is holding something else.
    Around here people don't pay any attention to a knife much. So a clip isn't a problem. But many days especially things like church ,Dr appointments I only loose carry . Pinnah sent a micra my way that I now carry in my back pocket

16. JPD1998

JPD1998 Gold Member Gold Member

Oct 18, 2004
    During the work week , I carry in the front right pocket alone, or left next to my wallet.
    Today I have an old school Puma stiletto in stag, next to my wallet.

17. Steely_Gunz

Steely_Gunz Got the Khukuri fevah Moderator

May 9, 2002
    I usually carry both at the same time. Folder with a clip for heavy work, traditional in my watch pocket.

I can't stand carrying them loose to the point that they lay weird in my pocket. My dad carried a Buck 110 in such a way for decades until I started making leather sheaths for him. I remember as a kid, he would come home and put all his loose change on the counter with his 110 when he would go get a shower. All of his jeans had a white-worn line across the front of his right front pocket shaped like a 110. It would bug the heck out of me working all day with a heavy brass knife like the 110 smacking me in the thigh as i worked.

MolokaiRider likes this.
  18. SpySmasher

SpySmasher Lead Guitar Platinum Member

Sep 1, 2016
    I never just carry "loose." For the most part I carry my folders either clipped or in-pocket in a clipped sheath. For the handful of folders I carry otherwise, it is by themselves in the watch pocket.

19. BoozeFighter

BoozeFighter

Jul 6, 2015
    The only time I ever carry a folder that doesn’t have a pocket clip is if I am also carrying a fixed blade in a belt sheath.

20. Henry Beige

Henry Beige Gold Member Gold Member

Jun 1, 2015
    Rarely if ever do I carry a knife with a clip. I carry three smaller traditional folders and a 4 1/2” channellock in my RFP. They ride pretty much upright. If there is a watch pocket, I don’t think about it because knives tend to jump out of it.