On the hunt for a new cleaver

Hi folks

Just like the title states - I'm looking for a new cleaver to keep me company in the kitchen. I'm looking to spend somewhere around $200 and so far the Richmond Fanatic 2 has caught my eye, but I can't seem to find it in stock anywhere. It seems to be an excellent knife and definitely in my price range. Could you fellas toss me a recommendation of something else that I might look at or is the Fanatic perhaps worth the wait?(I have no idea when new stock comes in.)

Many thanks,
Pia

What are you cutting? I'm guessing you are referring to an Asian/Chinese style cleaver/chef's knife rather than an old fashion chop a steer in two type.

Shosui Takeda makes super blue san mai cleavers. His blades are well priced and perform magnificently.

have a look at Fdick, industrial use/ blue plastic very ergonomic handles. Some good cleavers and a nice pointed upswept one.....can't remember the model
Affordable and made to be used
I have a boning and sticking knife from them and they are better than the henkels industrial and victorinox I used in the slaughterhouse.

My apologies. I should have been more specific, I'm talking about an asian style cleaver for meats and veggies, not the femur-splitting kind. Something in the 7-9" blade, 10-15 oz region. Basically an alternative to using my gyoto, because who doesn't like to try new things? :D

I think most of the recommendations have been for western style cleavers, so again apologies for not being more specific, my bad!

My apologies. I should have been more specific, I'm talking about an asian style cleaver for meats and veggies, not the femur-splitting kind. Something in the 7-9" blade, 10-15 oz region. Basically an alternative to using my gyoto, because who doesn't like to try new things? :D

I think most of the recommendations have been for western style cleavers, so again apologies for not being more specific, my bad!

I have a number of Chinese cleavers and the thin stock cleavers that are under 2mm thick are probably the most used blades in my kitchen. I have a particular high 1.5mm cleaver that sees probably 90% of my kitchen cutting.

Are you looking for a high (~4") or a low(~2") cleaver as there are a huge number of knives to choose from. For $200 you can get something really rather nice. I have a few low 2" vegie cleavers but as I say the thin high cleavers are about as good as it gets. :):thumbup:

I have a number of Chinese cleavers and the thin stock cleavers that are under 2mm thick are probably the most used blades in my kitchen. I have a particular high 1.5mm cleaver that sees probably 90% of my kitchen cutting.

Are you looking for a high (~4") or a low(~2") cleaver as there are a huge number of knives to choose from. For $200 you can get something really rather nice. I have a few low 2" vegie cleavers but as I say the thin high cleavers are about as good as it gets. :):thumbup:

Hi!

I'm looking for something in the middle, probably around 3" or slightly larger. I have a santoku that's roughly 2" in height with a 6.5" cutting edge, and it just feels a tad small and sort of gets lost in my hand.

Good to know that your cleavers are well-used, at least I'm in the right place!

Brad "the butcher";13478644 said:
have a look at Fdick, industrial use/ blue plastic very ergonomic handles. Some good cleavers and a nice pointed upswept one.....can't remember the model
Affordable and made to be used
I have a boning and sticking knife from them and they are better than the henkels industrial and victorinox I used in the slaughterhouse.

You're thinkin' of THIS one. :)

And I agree. For industrial blades F. Dick is one of the best, even beating out Victorinox in comfort and performance. Not to mention they make the best sharpening steels out there.

Even though the request was clarified to mean Asian style cleavers, that F. Dick "Italien Messer" model sure does a number on hard vegetables like squash or root vegetables if the bone-chopping edge is thinned out. :D

1185885_10201875714482960_958923617_n.jpg

Back