Once I got into fixed-blades... I just don't care about folders...

Has this happened to anyone else?

Folders just seem like cute toys to me now... and this is even though my EDC is a 3.25" BK-14 and many of my folders are significantly larger (CRKT M-16, Ontario Rat-1) .

I carry a folding Gerber EAB as a pocketable razor blade... And it's handy for little tasks.

It happened to me too, OP. Notching branches that have fallen across a trail, I can put my full weight on a fixed blade. Many folders get some play doing that more than a few times. Basically any kitchen or outdoors task is better done with a fixed blade. I’m even getting an s110v fixed to replace my Manix s110v as a cardboard knife. The handle will be smoother and more ergonomic.

I still carry two folders every day, for bits and pieces around the house. Usually a SAK and a modern. But only because folders are discreet.

Oddly coincidental that you should start this thread right now. I just bought two fixed blades in the last 24 hours. These are the first two I’ve bought in several decades.

I prefer fixed blades ... but I still like to carry a SAK Alox farmer (I have one most everyday for many many years) ... and I also like carrying a modern folder clipped to my pocket ...

but definately rather use a fixed blade if possible.

Last edited:
It's been happening to me. I've always owned some fixed blades, but now I'm falling in love with them over the internet. I picked up a Spyderco/Perrin Street Beat (the original black micarta version) and it's one of my favorite knives ever. My collection of folders was often a quest for mechanical excellence, but now they're all so damned good, so it's becoming more interesting to explore the wider variety of designs and materials available in fixed blades.

I'll always carry a folder, but lately I've been much more interested in fixed blades. I feel I have enough folders. All my recent purchases have been fixed blades and I try to carry them as much as possible.
Now let's here from the folder crowd ;).

no not as seeing folders as toys. I went through a phase of only wanting to use fixed blades early in my collecting. I came back round to only folders.

nowadays i flip back and forth, but a small fixed blade is always useful.

Agreed. Folders are disappointing when a fixed is available. For the past few years, mabey more, a fixed blade has been my edc. I do cart a BM 6800 around but I don't know why, I rarely use it. The only down side is comfort. I'm yet to find the one knife that doesn't jab me when driving. Suggestions welcomed.

It happened to me too, OP. Notching branches that have fallen across a trail, I can put my full weight on a fixed blade. Many folders get some play doing that more than a few times. Basically any kitchen or outdoors task is better done with a fixed blade. I’m even getting an s110v fixed to replace my Manix s110v as a cardboard knife. The handle will be smoother and more ergonomic.

I still carry two folders every day, for bits and pieces around the house. Usually a SAK and a modern. But only because folders are discreet.

I LOVE the Gerber EAB for cardboard .

Not only is it sharp as hell, but you can flip the blade 180° once dulled and resume cutting, without having to resharpen or carry a spare blade.... As it comes with one!

And since they're disposable blades, you never have to dread cutting abrasive corrugated AND, the sharp point is awesome at opening packages and I'm not afraid to lend it out.

But it's pure light-years utility, cost and compact.
It doesn't have the soul, beef and reliability of a fixed blade!..

Im a small belt knife guy too. They dont get gunk in the nooks and crannies like a pocket knife, and theyre more reliable. I usually carry a pocket knife along with a fixed blade anyway though lol

Has this happened to anyone else?

Not me. I got into fixed blades a few years back... and got right the hell on back out. Lol. I kept an SRK and a bucket-o-moras for utility use, but preferred the low profile that a folder allows.

I get it though. If I could comfortably carry and use a fixed blade I would. In use they're just better. I would probably miss the fidget factor of the folders though. I like a prop.

I like both folders and fixed blade knives. I find a folder is a must for me at work. A fixed blade would scare the clients, but a folder that hides in a pocket is discreet and practical. A fixed blade is an indispensable tool for many use cases, but folders have their place in my world. I have mix of both on my current wannagit list.

I used to love carrying a fixed blade as a youth. Hunting, fishing & the great outdoors kinda demands a fixed blade to be carried. Last purchase was to replace my Esee 4 since the handle on that one wasn't quit long enough. My collection of fixed blades is as extensive as my folders.

My EDC is a BK-14 which can be carried completely discretely in everything except gym shorts or bathing suit in a pocket sheath.

I'm not sure I'd be comfortable with a belt-sheath everywhere I go, however .

tE2etl0.jpg

I'm a folder guy and have been all my life. Only in the last few years have I tried to carry a fixed blade as a regular carry. I still prefer folders overall for my needs.

I'm a folder guy and have been all my life. Only in the last few years have I tried to carry a fixed blade as a regular carry. I still prefer folders overall for my needs.

I guess I find that folders can be handy, but fixed blades are just plain dependable and reassuring.

Ask me in a little while, I want to try carrying a small fixed blade (or rather one as big as I can legally carry which is about 4.65 inches) I'm eyeing a the RMJ Tactical UCAP. Dig the shape, kinda curious about 52100.

Back