one thing ive noticed in the knife world

One thing I've noticed in my short time in the knife world, is that knife makers are some of the coolest nicest people you could ever meet.
I've dealt with Jim Allen and he's awesome to deal with. His customer service is unsurpassed.
Right now I'm dealing with Eugene from Olamic Cutlery. He's patient and easy going. If you want one of his products he will make sure he does all he can do to see that you get what you want and that your satisfied.
Ive dealt with spydercos cs which in my experience was great, which I consider that to be a direct reflection of Sal glessar.
The people over at Grayman are nice and prompt in their responses.
It's just my observation that this is a great community as a whole, and the people bringing us the products are good ole folks. Would you guys agree with my assessment?

There really are some very good makers out there, without a doubt. But, I've also seen the other end of the spectrum. Just like anything else in life, you have good and bad.

The people I've dealt with are in fact great knife builders, but are even better people. Hopefully I'll be lucky enough not to see the other end of the spectrum.

Quick comment. I started collecting pocket knives/folders approx five years ago with the purchase of a Benchmade Griptillian. I am now the proud owner of five additional Benchmade models and recently expanded my cutlery horizons with the purchase of three Spyderco models. All of my experiences over the last five years have been great with respect to both the knife manufactures as well as the people that respond to BLADE-FORUMS.
With exposure to this outlet I have gained so much insight into aspects of both the collecting and manufacturing sides of the industry.

Some of them are, some of them aren't.

Those you mentioned certainly are among the good ones but there are many out there who really don't give a damn...whether due to personality or having more work than they need. You can usually tell by the first visit to their website if the person is really interested on making a sale.

Too many makers have sites where you can't even find the knives they have for sale, or offer too little info on ordering or pricing. When they want me to email them before anything is seen or discussed I generally move on. Good knives are becoming easy enough to find without wasting time with an individual with product that isn't as worthy or in as much demand as what he thinks.

I've been lucky to have the same experience. The same has been true with the major manufacturers imho.
The Anyone who has good business sense knows about providing excellent service. One thing that sets some makers apart, especially the makers here, is they love what they do, and they know the value of word of mouth.

Great post! I just started one myself about how Jim from TSF went above and beyond to build me my new Beast. It is an outstanding knife, but what makes it even more special is the thought and care that went into making it for me the way I wanted. Talking to Jim throughout the process was like talking to an old friend, not a businessman.

Benchmade and Grayman were the only other two companies I've ever had to contact, not as in depth as with Jim from TSF, but they too were very kind and helpful. Oh, and I've spoken to Ramon Chavez as well recently...another very nice, respectful man. I remain loyal to the companies that treat their customers with respect. There are so many knife makers and companies to choose from out there...I would never buy from one that was rude or disrespectful.

Back