1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Ontario utilitac

Discussion in 'General Knife Discussion' started by Earl1, May 16, 2018.

1. Earl1

Earl1 Basic Member Basic Member

May 11, 2016
    Ontario utilitac looks like an interesting knife. I have an ontario rat 2 that has a very smooth opening as well as a decent blade. I don't think they can be beaten for the price bracket. I'm wondering about the utilitac if anyone has any thoughts would be appreciated

2. katanas

katanas

Jan 6, 2012
    I really like mine; it has a great feel in hand and slices really well. :thumbsup: It is my go to knife for eating apples. o_O I found one in green, which was nice because I'm so tired of black folders. :cool:

Earl1 likes this.
  3. MolokaiRider

MolokaiRider Gold Member Gold Member

Sep 13, 2017
    They are great for the price. The action is very fast and the fit and finish is very good. I own four of them and they are excellent work EDC’s. They also come with a lanyard which is a nice bonus.

Earl1 likes this.
  4. MolokaiRider

MolokaiRider Gold Member Gold Member

Sep 13, 2017
    Earl1 likes this.
  5. Comeuppance

Comeuppance Fixed Blade EDC Emisssary

Jan 12, 2013
    "Good for the price" is a pretty accurate statement. You can pay a little bit more and get a much better knife in the $40-50 range, but it's a perfectly good knife for $20 or so.

At the moment, however, the Kershaw Nura 3.5 is available for under $20 here and there. While that is a temporary state of affairs, I do think it's a superior choice. Also, having owned both of those knives, I would still probably suggest getting a Spyderco budget knife in that same general price range; the Tenacious I had for some time served me admirably. It's also worth mentioning that breaking into the $25-60 range gets you some of the workhorse Cold Steel folders. Personally, I would drop $30 and get a Finn Wolf or a Tuff Lite before I bought another Utilitac.

Also, I recently picked up a CRKT Pilar at a local sporting goods store and have found myself pretty pleased with it.

I know you asked for opinions on one knife and I'm just dropping counter-suggestions, but, there isn't a whole lot to say about the Ontario Utilitac. It was a screaming deal in 2014 or so, and it's still an excellent price:quality ratio, but there are other knives around that price range that are honestly just as good - if not better.

valknut and Earl1 like this.
  6. willc

willc Gold Member Gold Member

Aug 13, 2013
    It would be great if they did the Utilitac with D2 steel.
    Both my Rat and Utilitac have smoother action than many of my 100+ dollar knives.

gazz98 likes this.
  7. gazz98

gazz98 Gold Member Gold Member

Sep 3, 2008
    I was just going to post this too. Utilitac is another solid knife for the price.

willc likes this.
  8. sabre cat

sabre cat Basic Member Basic Member

Jul 4, 2014
    If someone asks, the Utilitac is normally on my list of recommended budget knives. So are the RAT1, RAT2, Zancudo, and Avispa. If those are more money than the person wants to spend, I suggest the Dozier 4065 from Ka-Bar.

katanas and gazz98 like this.