1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. We will be conducting maintenance tonight to update server processes. Downtime may be 1-2 hours or more, starting at 10:15PM Eastern.

Opinions on re-blading to a tanto

Discussion in 'Chris Reeve Knives' started by GermanyChris, Dec 6, 2017 at 10:18 AM.

1. GermanyChris

GermanyChris Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 18, 2015
    After sharpening the third chip in two months out of my Insingo I was considering a re-blading to a Tanto. I called CRK this morning and explained that I keep chipping the blade prying and twisting on staples and asked if the Tanto would stand up better than the Insingo. Kayla said that the swedge reduces material out of the tip and that that the Tanto has more material at the tip and would stand up better.

I've never seen a top shot of the Tanto at the tip so does the CRK forum agree that the Tanto would standup to better, $135 better?

2. HST

HST Gold Member Gold Member

Apr 2, 2015
    I thought doing that was against CRKs policy?

My thoughts, on the Tanto on my ‘Zaan. I beat the crap out of it. I never give it any quarter. I poke at staples, wire, and whatever with my Tanto blade. Maybe mine is more robust, because it’s a ‘Zaan - more educated CRK people will chime in soon. I feel very confident using my ‘Zaan’s Tanto for whatever I need a knife to do. I actually made it my new ‘whatever’ folder.

I’ve processed two rabbits and an opossum for my K9 when he caught them and it still is on factory edge. I simple stromp it on my pants and do both grinds in their own direction. Still cuts paper but not as well; however, it still lances through objects like a light saber.

I am disappointed to hear your story of the Insingo blade. Is your Insingo heat treated to 59-60? How old is it? I was gonna get one, but if they’re that fragile...

3. Ajack60

Ajack60 Platinum Member Platinum Member

Apr 21, 2013
    Are you chipping the very tip of the blade?
    Have you changed the factory edge? I do like a little thinner profile, but on my work knives, I try to keep factory angles as much as possible.

Edit: I did see the pic you posted in the other tread. A Tanto would be better suited for prying because the edge has more steel behind it and the tanto is convex ground which IMO is better at those types of chores.

Last edited: Dec 6, 2017 at 11:43 AM
  4. vilePossum

vilePossum

Jan 14, 2015
    So prying staples... And probably not the ones that go into a few sheets of paper... Any kind of mini pry bar would probably be better and cheaper.

tunerblock, Mike Large and bhyde like this.
  5. Josh K

Josh K Platinum Member Platinum Member

Sep 29, 2008
    An insingo blade is definitely thinner on the tip than a standard drop point. I think tip thickness works out to tanto > drop point > insingo. You'd probably find it faster and cheaper to buy a standard drop point and tanto off the exchange and resell if they don't do what you want. A second blade is nice but the wait time is—last I heard—about 6-8 weeks out.

Lapedog likes this.
  6. GermanyChris

Feb 18, 2015
    It's not fragile it's just more abuse than the blade can take, yesterdays chip came because I twisted I couldn't get the blade under enough to pry it loose so i got it under a bit a twisted.

It's a little slimmer than factory but not laid way back like lot's I've seen here or from professional sharpeners.

PSX_20171206_121958.jpg

7. bhyde

bhyde UNNECESSARY EVIL Staff Member Super Mod Moderator Platinum Member

Mar 19, 2002
    Last I knew, they would not exchange from a drop point to any other shape but would go from any other shape to a drop point.
    Perhaps that has changed in the last while.
    To answer your question, I think a tanto should work well for this with the caveat that it's still possible to chip out when twisting..just less likely to happen.

mrknife likes this.
  8. Ajack60

Ajack60 Platinum Member Platinum Member

Apr 21, 2013
    A couple of pics for comparison

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

9. HST

Apr 2, 2015
    @GermanyChris When you say “Laid back” are talking about your grind angles?

10. GermanyChris

Feb 18, 2015
    Thank you! That's what I wanted to see there's significantly more material at the tip

11. GermanyChris

Feb 18, 2015
    Yes..I can't remember off the top of my head angle it's sharpened at.

HST likes this.
  12. HST

Apr 2, 2015
    That is a massive tip difference.

Here’s the Tanto to DP (Inkosi) to Ti-Lock

66838706-C33F-4B2D-BFF1-C315655DD6B9.jpeg

So much blade on the Ti-Lock.

Ajack60 likes this.
  13. Mick_1KRR

Mick_1KRR

May 1, 2016
    If you are chipping the edge of the blade (the cutting edge) then you are needing more material behind the edge, not a thicker tip at the very. Unless you are chipping the tip of your knife. Judging by a picture you posted of the last chip you had, it was the cutting edge below the tip, not the tip, so a tanto with a thicker tip will have a stronger tip yes, but the angle of the cutting edge below it will determine how much more steel you have to help against chipping the cutting edge. The front tanto portion of the CRK tanto blades do look like they are thicker behind the edge and have more of a convex, so that might help sure, or just re-profile your current blade to have more steel behind the edge.

14. Mike Large

Mike Large Gold Member Gold Member

Jun 24, 2017
    15126494642521804928071.jpg just sayin'...haha

red mag and Sean1111 like this.
  15. GermanyChris

Feb 18, 2015
    Well I'm as bad of a communicator as I thought I was. I filled out the online service form then second guessed myself and sent CRK an email to double check and I'm glad I did since I got this this morning:

Decline.PNG
    So if anyone wants to trade a user CF Large 21 Insingo for a user 21/25/Inkosi/Zaan Tanto I'm game.

mrknife likes this.