Opinions on Tanto Sebenza

Have a regular Sebenza with the "working blade." Always wanted a more "tactical" bladed 'Benza. What do they look like? Anyone have one? Opinions?

I had one for a few weeks then sold it off. I was impressed with the flat ground point and high hollow ground blade, but it just wasn't my cup of tea.

------------------
James Segura
San Francisco, CA

James:

What didn't you like - that it's a tanto or it didn't seem to fit with the Sebenza image/handle?????? Thanks!!!

------------------

Akula, I am not a fan of the blade profile is all. It was well executed, up to the usual standards. A surprising amount of useful belly, and a tough point. Much more tactical than the regular model or the LDC line.

(I am not a purist. I would love a warnecliffe Sebenza, 3" blade, please.)

------------------
James Segura
San Francisco, CA

Dang, James! Now I want a tanto point Sebbie... Should have hit you up a few weeks ago. Where did you get it? I have emailed several people with no luck.

Fish, you will have to check with your friendly neiborhood NICA dealer and have them hold one from the next batch for you.

------------------
James Segura
San Francisco, CA

Take a look at this month's Blade Magazine. There's a great picture of one on the last page.

------------------
Dennis Wright
Wright Knife & Sporting Goods
(Buy a knife...confuse a liberal)
La Mesa, CA
wrightknife@ixpres.com

I waited for some time to get a Sebenza. When I'm paying that much for something I wanted it to be a little different, "unique" so to speak. Also, my carry knives are more weapons than tools, carried alot and used little. When I saw the Tanto Sebenza, I had to have it and have been very pleased with the overall design. The point is more traditional Japanese design than the shape made popular by E. Emerson here in the US.
Smooth as silk action and razor sharp!

My next choice will be a small Sebenza, but I sure would like a clip point blade. Hint, hint.

------------------
"May you live in interesting times"

AKTI - A000389

Actually guys, I was just at my neighborhood dealer and he opened the case to let me handel the Tanto Sebbie... man it was nice. Just like the regulars but look a crap load meaner. I would suppest this to anyone to likes tantos, it combines the best of both worlds. But then I had to give it back and he actually polised all my fingerprints off before he put it back into the case.
frown.gif
Take about erasing any trace of my handeling
smile.gif

------------------
-Humpty

"Humpty Dumpty sat on the wall. Humpty dumpty had a great fall.
Maybe Humpty should of had a knife."

I'll admit they look interesting, and I got to handle one briefly at Blade Show West, but it's a bit incongruous if you think about it: the purported strength of the "americanized tanto" tip is that it is less fragile in a hard thrust, but the handle of a Sebenza, while great for utility, is not built for thrusting -- there's no guard and precious little finger cutout to keep one's hand from sliding onto the blade if you connect with something solid in a hard thrust.

Don't get me wrong, I love my small Sebenza (and I carry it and use it), and I really like some tanto blades (like the BM Stryker), but the Tanto Sebenza is clearly more of a "fun" knife, or an interesting collector piece, than a hard-working utility or defensive knife.

If you're thinking that grinding an "americanized tanto" point onto a Sebenza makes it into a real fighting knife, rather than just making it less effective for slashing if, God forbid, one should have to use it to defend oneself then, uh, perhaps you are missing the point (pun intended, sorry).

Oh, and I'll definitely second StJames motion for a 3" WharneCliffe Sebenze
smile.gif

From one who carries many tools but no weapons...

------------------
Carl /\/\/\ AKTI #A000921 /\/\/\ San Diego, California

Think this through with me ... Let me know your mind
Wo-oah, what I want to know ... is are you kind?
-- Hunter/Garcia, "Uncle John's Band"

[This message has been edited by Carl Jacobsen (edited 28 November 1999).]

I'm not a tactical oriented knife nut and find the tanto blade to be very useful as an everyday working knife.The secondary edge can add alot to it's performance.I don't worry about how well the knife can handle a thrust.I think it is a great addition to the Sebenza line.When the time comes to get my next Sebenza I will be looking for the Tanto blade.
I understand that right now they are limited but will they become more available in the near future?
scott w

Great responses. It sounded like perfection - the great Sebenza monolock with a tactical blade. I guess perfection could be a Calif. clip type blade to retain the belly yet be more aggressive than the "traditional ' Benza.

Still, the Sebenza is so good that it might still be worth getting a tanto - perfect tolerances, great steel, great heat treat, sharper than sharp, best lock, great service, etc... And limited to 400, who can complain.

Hmm, you know, I saw some good close-up pictures on another thread of an old-style Sebenza, which had a pretty substantial "hook" for one's fingers at the front of the scales -- sort of a long ramp leading to the base of a steep hill, rather than the current "large shallow scalloped dish" finger-hold...

Anyways, I'm sure it's a terribly impractical suggestion, but one of these old-style large Sebenza handles with the more agressive finger retainers would seem to make a better match for the tanto Sebenza blade...

Just a thought... (and I still want a Wharnecliffe small Sebbie)

------------------
Carl /\/\/\ AKTI #A000921 /\/\/\ San Diego, California

Think this through with me ... Let me know your mind
Wo-oah, what I want to know ... is are you kind?
-- Hunter/Garcia, "Uncle John's Band"

Small Warncliffe Sebenza
smile.gif
smile.gif
smile.gif
smile.gif
smile.gif
smile.gif
smile.gif
smile.gif
smile.gif

------------------
James Segura
San Francisco, CA

You know,I'd like to see a small warncliffe Sebenza too,or maybe a sheeps foot blade.
scott w

Count me in on the Wharncliffe Sebenza wish list. It would be so much easier to grind than a tanto too! Why is it that I hear crickets chirping in the silence? A sheepsfoot blade would be alright too.
wink.gif

------------------
Paul Davidson

Them:"What's that clipped to your pocket, a beeper?"
Me:"Uuh....yeah, something like that."

Back