Para Mili break in period

I just got my Para Mili today and have the verticle blade play issue, however I noticed that the more I open and close it the more the problem goes away. So is this an issue that goes away when the lock breaks in, or is the concept of the compression lock just a design that is plagued with verticle play? I am sure it will not disengage due to the design and the cutting ablity of the knife is just sick, but WTF Sal? Was this not thought of before final production? I am going to send mine in to be looked at though just in case there is a fix to the issue. It drives me nuts. This could be the best production EDC out there if this issue was gone.

I think if people just look at the lock, they will see that you probably just need a little more preload on the lock-bar. I read this "vertical blade play" crap all the time. Send it back to Spyderco, and what they will do is:
1- take the knife apart
2- bend the lock-bar a little more and
3- reassemble the knife and
4- send it back to you

* try this, with the knife open and your Para has vertical play, just push the lock-bar further to the clip side scale. your blade play will go away.
There is a delicate balance between the preload of the lock-bar and the resistance the bar will create on the tang of the blade. Get it just right and you have a smooth opening blade with no vertical play.

**just reread this post and want to say this is not directed at anyone, especially USAFSP. This is just my fustration at knives in general.

wwells20 said:
**just reread this post and want to say this is not directed at anyone, especially USAFSP. This is just my fustration at knives in general.

I did not read it as being harsh on anyone- good post. On mine, I spun the anvil pin slightly and played with the tension between the anvil and pivot and it is good to go.

USAFSP said:
I just got my Para Mili today and have the verticle blade play issue, however I noticed that the more I open and close it the more the problem goes away. So is this an issue that goes away when the lock breaks in, or is the concept of the compression lock just a design that is plagued with verticle play? I am sure it will not disengage due to the design and the cutting ablity of the knife is just sick, but WTF Sal? Was this not thought of before final production? I am going to send mine in to be looked at though just in case there is a fix to the issue. It drives me nuts. This could be the best production EDC out there if this issue was gone.

Same here. I sent it in, and it's on its way back, about a 4 week turn around. Hopefully it'll be taken care of. I tried doing it myself like mentioned above, but then the lock bar would stick when locked open. Anyway, I'll let ya know how it worked out when I get it back.

Rotating the stop-pin ("anvil-pin", as Spyderco refers to it) will also do the trick. I had to do this on my Para. 1) Use a torx bit (T-8, IIRC), and loosen the non-clip side scale's stop-pin bolt a tad. 2) Then slowly turn the clip side scale's stop-pin bolt while opening the blade to gauge the amount of play. 3) Once verticle play is eliminated, tighten the non-clip side scale's stop-pin bolt to where it was originally. Problem solved.

Best wishes,
3G

3Guardsmen said:
Rotating the stop-pin ("anvil-pin", as Spyderco refers to it) will also do the trick. I had to do this on my Para. 1) Use a torx bit (T-8, IIRC), and loosen the non-clip side scale's stop-pin bolt a tad. 2) Then slowly turn the clip side scale's stop-pin bolt while opening the blade to gauge the amount of play. 3) Once verticle play is eliminated, tighten the non-clip side scale's stop-pin bolt to where it was originally. Problem solved.

Best wishes,
3G
Tried it but no luck. I will just send it in.

I found when I got mine the lock bar did not move very far over. Adjusting the stop pin did not help. So I lived with it and as I used it, the surfaces smoothed out and the engagement point improved to where I wanted and stayed there. There are machining marks that will be smoothed out after awhile and mine works flawlessly at this time.

In reply to your original question: Yes, my Para actually worked most of its vertical blade play out itself. After a fairly long break in period the knife started to lock up tighter. Adjusting the pivot and anvil pin will also help.

USAFSP said:
Tried it but no luck. I will just send it in.

Sorry it didn't work on yours, bro. Send it in and I'm sure Sal & co. will make it right for you.

Best wishes,
3G

Does this issue appear on the Military or, is it only applicable to the Para-M?

rnhood said:
Does this issue appear on the Military or, is it only applicable to the Para-M?

Just the Para, as far as I know, because of the compression lock. My mili is perfect.

vinny72xx said:
Same here. I sent it in, and it's on its way back, about a 4 week turn around. Hopefully it'll be taken care of. I tried doing it myself like mentioned above, but then the lock bar would stick when locked open. Anyway, I'll let ya know how it worked out when I get it back.

Got it back today, and it's perfect.

I have to say that my TWO Paras arrived in perfect condition, both cosmetically & mechanically. Over a year of EDC and still solid performers.
NO blade play, NO S30V chipping, NO pocket lint issues with the lock.
Good to go !