1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2. Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win a Kizer 1034A1 Gingrich Bush Knife & Ka-Bar Dozier Folding Hunter, , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!

Be sure to read the rules before entering, then help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread! Entries close at midnight, Saturday Sept 7!

Once the entries close, we'll live stream the drawing on Sunday, Sept 8 at 5PM Eastern. Tune in to our YouTube channel TheRealBladeForums for a chance to win bonus prizes!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

Pay it forward. Yes were doing this again.

Discussion in 'General Knife Discussion' started by BellaBlades, May 9, 2018.

1. cchu518

cchu518 Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 6, 2013
    As so many folks have mentioned as fun as it is to pocket edc a regular knife a little SAK is most often all you need to get you through the day! I go back and forth carrying am alox and a regular edc with no issues on most days!

Daedric Panther and sbh06 like this.
  2. JupiterPaladin

JupiterPaladin Gold Member Gold Member

May 4, 2016
    So which Pioneer is back up? Or am I reading that wrong?

3. sbh06

sbh06 Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 5, 2015
    You are reading correctly. It is #48 on your list (with the +1 PIF) in post 4356. Sorry the the confusion I generated.

4. JupiterPaladin

May 4, 2016
    Current Items up for grabs - Please let me know if there are any errors :)
    1. Case Mako XX with embossed sheath @FOG2 #600
    2. Dive knife & Tin Knife @rob308 #741
    3. Le Thiers & Wenger @rob308 #765
    4. Chive & Case Sheeps Slippie @FOG2 #776
    5. Kershaw Blackout @(jeff) #1233
    6. Desantis Cozy right hand holster for Springfield XDS 3.3 @PWatkins #1242
    7. CRKT Tighe @dkb45 #1246
    8. CRKT Squid @arrowhd #1366
    9. Tighe Rod @T.L.E. Sharp #1514
    10. Kershaw Ferrite @Earl1 #1495
    11. Custom CF & Green G10 scale for Zt562 @Impulse600 #1556
    12. Schrade Old Timer 940TW, Buck 525 T, 2 safety cutters @PWatkins #1608
    13. Android Tattooed Tiger 50mm automatic watch @Methuselah #1895
    14. Block of Ebony Wood @needler420 #2003 & 2023
    15. Small Maxpedition bag, Warne quick release scope mounts, Amazon Firestick, and Iron Bull 2.5 fat grips @WillB #2115
    16. G. Sakai Archestral 154cm @joeldworkin307 #2117
    17. Buck lockback & Gerber multitool @chuck4570 #2179
    18. Cold Steel battle shades @Meshach #2188
    19. Remington Bullet Knife 1178 @Canvsbk #2358
    20. Rough Rider Razor Trapper @19-3ben #2475
    21. Schrade 50T 1991 commemorative @fishiker #2554
    22. Schrade Old Timer 60T USA, Benchmade 510, Benchmade Cub Tanto @21bangbang #3608
    23. Case XX Stockman @wroughndt #2889
    24. Boker Arbolito @dsalazar pic #2514 post #3034
    25. Bestech Hornet @shovelhead69 #3060
    26. Victorinox Rally @arrowhd #3181
    27. Safariland Lvl3 Glock 17/22 holster @Ryan Thompson #3255
    28. Victorinox Recruit and Day Packer, CRKT Sidehawg 3, Timberline Wenger Chui, Rough Rider Trapper and 5 blade Sowbelly Stockman @JupiterPaladin #3331
    29. Binlun Watch@bikerector #3895
    30. Hen & Rooster HR692, Steel Warrior SW105TG @Greg L. Gearhart #3495
    31. Invicta 8926 Pro Diver @Chris Still #3554
    32. Victorinox Champion Plus #3583, Cold Steel Counterpoint 1 #3321 @Pearly_Baker
    33. CRKT Stiff Kiss, Gerber Profile fixed, Kershaw Dune, Bear Ops CC400B, Ronson lighter, Aker holster for Sig p239 fit my p229 but tight, 20 inch and 14 inch baton, Micromatic Keg Tap, 2 Barlows, Camillus USA Electrician. @dsalazar #3619
    34. Lansky variety pack @l1ranger #3634
    35. Kershaw Amphibian & Spy Voltaire sunglasses @jaseman #3691
    36. 2 Pistol Holsters @COSMO #3743
    37. Victorinox Classic, Schrade USA 104OT, Kershaw Cryo 2 Tanto @PirateSeulb #3755
    38. Sog Field Pup 7cr17mov @Fixall #3756
    39. Sog Twitch @cchu518 #3896
    40. Buck Bantam & CRKT Fossil @Brhowser87 #3891 & 3962
    41. Kershaw 'Needs Work' @jp9mm #3903
    42. SOG Auto Clip @chuck4570 #3976
    43. Rough Rider single blade Barlow @bachman44 #4178
    44. S&W J-Frame Serpa Holster & Buck 110 @mabrowns #4270
    45. Honshu Push Dagger @Daedric Panther #4314
    46. Buck Spitfire @Earl1 #4354
    47. Alox Pioneer, (+1 PiF later)@sabre cat #4356
    48. Cold Steel Goldeneye & Ready Edge @jlauffer #4363
    49. Camillus Medium Stockman @kamagong #4365
    50. Casio Twin Sensor watch @cchu518 #4369
    51. Tenacious & Camillus TL-29 @chuck4570 #4386

Last edited: Jul 2, 2019
  5. cchu518

Mar 6, 2013
    So just curious have you good folks been enjoying the thread and has it been a good use of time?

I've been able to pif lots of stufflike Landi fixed blades, watches, knives that have t been seeing much carry time and have received a bunch in return, much of which I released back into the pif thread.

But as my edc needs have changed to date I've used the Spyderco Baby Jess Horn, Spyderco Mule team in 8cr and soon the CRKT Ripple the most from this pif and are part of my small regular rotation now. The Mule team has become my main fixed blade beating out fblades like the Element in 01.

It's been really fun seeing other ppl try out new stuff as well. And am grateful for participating!

I type this while waiting for my barber and edc'ing the baby Jess Horn.

[​IMG]

sabre cat, McFeeli and bikerector like this.
  6. WValtakis

WValtakis Hand Engraving, Anodizing and Embellishment Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

May 29, 2004
    Hey Michael @JupiterPaladin , the Gerber and Monocular from #43 wound up going to @Quiet for his birthday since they had been sitting on the list so long ;) I'll see what else I have laying around when I get a chance:)

~Chip

7. JupiterPaladin

May 4, 2016
    @WValtakis I just edited the last listing to reflect.

WValtakis likes this.
  8. McFeeli

McFeeli

Feb 13, 2017
    It’s good to see that BJH is getting some love. That’s one I wish I wasn’t a hair late on, but I can certainly say I’ve been happy as hell with this thread. I’ve gotten to try out a few knives I never would have if it weren’t for here.

To date, I’d have to say most used and carried PIFs have been the Samsung S3 Frontier firstly. It’s my daily watch, though it is one item I think I would have bought for myself at some point. I always wanted to try one out. It’s super convenient so it’s almost always on my wrist.

The two knives I use the most would probably be the 48 Bloodwood Trapper, it’s one knife I couldn’t actually see myself not owning anymore. I doubt I’d have tried one if it weren’t for this thread, single blades were always my first choice for traditionals. I know it went through someone else before it came to it’s final home. It’s probably the prettiest knife I own, and definitely the best when it comes to GEC’s fit and finish.
    [​IMG]

And the one I probably have the most fun with is the Big Chris machete. It’s a bruiser and I get to treat it as such. I knew of Big Chris, but I never owned any of his work. This beautiful SOB opened my eyes to what the right blade can do. I take it out at least once a week these days, I tend to use it to clear up my boundary a lot, but some days I just go out and start wrecking havoc for kicks, haha.

[​IMG]

I’ve been using the camping set from @bikerector , which was an unexpected bonus with the machete quite a bit as well. The Fiskars hatchet makes kindling a breeze, so it’s usually the first one I grab when it’s time to light up the fire pit. And the set actually contained my first Mora so you know I used the crap out of it, and continue to do so, haha.

WValtakis, sabre cat and bikerector like this.
  9. cchu518

Mar 6, 2013
    That's pretty cool! Big Chris put a zero grind edge on one of my knives, it was scary sharp,looked super cool after but ended up selling it as it was also very stabby looking too. I'm in NYC 5 days a week so I tend to be low key about stuff.

McFeeli likes this.
  10. sabre cat

sabre cat Basic Member Basic Member

Jul 4, 2014
    [​IMG][/QUOTE]
    I've loved this thread! Made a lot of changes in my gear because of it. Everything from knives to watches. Flashlights too.

Right now I'm having a blast using my daughter's new Endura 4. I can see why people like them.

McFeeli and bikerector like this.
  11. sbh06

sbh06 Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 5, 2015
    @cchu518 G shock is in the mail. PM’d you tracking info.

12. cchu518

Mar 6, 2013
    @JupiterPaladin

I originally had this one in trades but hell why not..putting it up for grabs.

As a mini review I have tried a ton of combo edged knives during my knife obsession crazed days and adventures in finding the most perfect set of edc blades I poured through a heck of a lot of combo edges from Bradley Aliases to Emerson's and H1 Spyderco's. Surprisingly I found Emerson's too raw for me and Spyderco serrations too aggressive in general to make for a solid all around combo edc.

Surprisingly my favorite combo edge of all time was a Byrd Cara Cara 2. That said this is the Benchmade mini presidio 527 ultra in 440c and noryl. I personally find the presidio line to be better than griptilians and it comes a very close 2md behind the Cara Cara 2 and only bc it's heavier but that's just me maybe.

Hope it goes to a good home and gets some use. The blade both straight part and serrated edges are shaving sharp. Clip has pocket wear and it's been carried but hardly has cut anything. The first one that I owned I basically abused and used it to death for more than 5 years while renovating my first house and also learning how to sharpen serrated edges. I cut everything from drywall to hoses and pipe and jamming into paint can tops with my first one.

[​IMG]

13. woodysone

woodysone Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 21, 2005
    This was one of my favorites back in my have a knife that would do everything but mine was in 154. Broke the axis springs once but a quick ride back to Benchmade and it was back to new. Someone will be very happy, great Pif.

cchu518 likes this.
  14. cchu518

Mar 6, 2013
    That's exactly what this was in my head, lol. What if I went camping or hiking and I needed to cut a sandwich (even though I never cut my sandwiches lmao) and needed to cut some type of fibrous material.

In actual use this was my work knife while reno'ing my first house.

15. arrowhd

arrowhd Gold Member Gold Member

Apr 19, 2011
    Seems like the combo edge has a bad reputation with many people. I find it very useful at work. Serrations come in handy more often than you think. Would look good setting next to the other two Presideo's I've already picked up on this thread. Will let some else have a chance.

cchu518 likes this.
  16. effenoam

effenoam Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 19, 2013
    I find the combo edge very useful when cutting straps, zipties, paracord, etc. That said, I prefer plain edge and somehow my combo edge griptillian still sees a good bit of the work I do with knives.

cchu518 likes this.
  17. effenoam

effenoam Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 19, 2013
    My most used PIF has been the mean streat(thanks @bikerector), mainly light use but its waiting for a beating. Screenshot_20190629-122336_Gallery.jpg

WValtakis, cchu518 and arrowhd like this.
  18. cchu518

Mar 6, 2013
    Thus started my search through all of the major manufacturers combo edges. From veff serrations to Cold Steel etc..

So why the mini presidio is great is just that. Whereas Spyder edges are far too aggressive and snatchy to be a good everyday edc, the serration on the mini presidio allow it to be smooth enough to glide over materials and cut cleanly for the most part this making it much better for edc'ing. The serrations behaved very similar to the Byrd Cara Cara serrations. Well clean enough for a combo edge that is. Works terrific in the fibrous materials of course!

Push cut with the combo edge
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 4, 2019
  19. Velitrius

Velitrius Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 3, 2000
    I am very happy to see the little Jess Horn out on the town. Makes this whole thread worth it to me.

woodysone likes this.
  20. sabre cat

sabre cat Basic Member Basic Member

Jul 4, 2014
    I really like those scales. Does Benchmade made a full size version ? What scale material?