Pay it forward. Yes we're doing this again.

Should we close the Pay It Forward thread?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
And here is the pic of the bk23 skeleton knife i put up earlier.
nrFvGel.jpg

JupiterPaladin JupiterPaladin

Im going to be sending along a BM “blue box” Tool kit, along with the Tenacious i have in the PIF list. So you can add that too. I can try to get a pic up tonight.
The tools are used but in good shape, except one. It still works, and luckily there are two of them, and the other is in great shape.
Keep ‘em Sharp

Sharp & Fiery Sharp & Fiery very nice addition!

I'm thinking it's about time to purge the list a bit. I've been poking around and some offerings are very old and some of the users have been inactive. I tried tagging the oldest ones but a lot has happened so I'm thinking of starting over with that effort. Looking for input from everyone. Where should we draw the line on removing items? I'm thinking after a year we should drop it. Or if the user has been inactive over 3 months. Does that seem reasonable? I will also try to reach out to them to make sure items are still available.

This sounds reasonable to me, inactivity in this thread shows no interest, if they haven’t even visited this thread in 3 months proves it.

I'm thinking that some haven't even been on the forum in several months. I think Dsalazar was one of them, the previous keeper of the list. That's when I jumped in temporarily again until we found the current keeper of the list, Sir JupiterPaladin JupiterPaladin , who is doing a great job BTW.

dsalazar was last seen:

Apr 24, 2019

I'm fully for a purge of the list as it has a lot of items that are never going to get claimed either because the members are no longer active for some reason or the items just don't seem to be in demand. I think some of us have spotted what might not get grabbed so we're a little more selective on what is an acceptable PIF. We've learned a bit since this one started in May of 2018.

How to go about a purge is something I never quite figured out and didn't take the time to figure out as the list was a little smaller when I started it. It's a different beast now, for sure. I think 1 year is a good cutoff, either requesting something else to offer or just cutting it off the list. I think we may want a provision forum members who just become inactive, like dsalazar and I know there was another guy I sent a knife to that suddenly went silent from the forum as well (I don't think it was ill-intentioned, he just disappeared). I feel like cutting items from the list "lets people off the hook" a little but keeping in the spirit of paying it forward, I think the efforts were made and they tried to make good on it here but there's no reason to believe they wouldn't be spreading the good will outside of this corner of the internet either. Just some of my thoughts on the topic.

If there is concern about ppl jumping the hook, maybe we can split the list?
For example?

Current PiFs:
etc
===============
PiFs with no PiF required:
etc
===============
Legacy PiFs (area for members who went inactive after a certain time, easier bc section wouldn’t need updating until they show up again... if they show up, their item moves to current or no pif section)
etc

Think that might keep integrity of the list, make it easier to read, also easier to maintain after we get it initially sorted.

When you have a deal you just notate:
JupiterPaladin JupiterPaladin what is being moved on and off and if a PiF is required

My first experience with this thread didn’t go well at all because of an inactive member, roughly a year ago I claimed a Case Russlock and offered up a Buck 110. After weeks of excuses that it was sent and then it ending back with him because it had been returned buy the PO, so he said that he would send it again and then silence. I just brushed it off as a bad experience and moved on. Since then I have had nothing but great experiences on this tread and wish to continue. I wonder how many times this has happened, someone claims what they want and offers up a PIF and is never heard from again.

My first experience with this thread didn’t go well at all because of an inactive member, roughly a year ago I claimed a Case Russlock and offered up a Buck 110. After weeks of excuses that it was sent and then it ending back with him because it had been returned buy the PO, so he said that he would send it again and then silence. I just brushed it off as a bad experience and moved on. Since then I have had nothing but great experiences on this tread and wish to continue. I wonder how many times this has happened, someone claims what they want and offers up a PIF and is never heard from again.
Worst I have had was a member not responding to messages on a list item. Member finally responded once others inquired and tagged then in thread... then went silent again...:rolleyes:

Most interactions I have had and seen have been above and beyond the call of duty though... some even better than on the exchange:D

If there is concern about ppl jumping the hook, maybe we can split the list?
For example?

Current PiFs:
etc
===============
PiFs with no PiF required:
etc
===============
Legacy PiFs (area for members who went inactive after a certain time, easier bc section wouldn’t need updating until they show up again... if they show up, their item moves to current or no pif section)
etc

I think something like this is a good idea. The list is getting pretty long at this point, and I'm sure JupiterPaladin JupiterPaladin has a hard enough time keeping it all straight just from it's shear size. Would at least make it a bit more organized to look through.

I'm also OK with purging some old stuff out. Maybe give send the original poster a message, and if there isn't a response after a set time (maybe 2 weeks to a month) then purge it out.

If we can purge it down a good bit, maybe we could eventually organize the list as well. Would be nice to sort it by type of offering....
- Folders
- Fixed blades
- Non knife items
- Etc.

This might be a little ambitious, but once the list is purged a bit, I think it's doable if a few of us pitch in.

Here is my 2¢ on the subject of old PIFs and how to handle it. Just my opinion so I will be blunt. No offense to anyone else making suggestions.

1) The less work for the keeper of the list is best to my way of thinking.

2) Trying to break up the list into categories would lead to more volunteer work.

3) If Legacy PIF owners have been contacted, with no updates resulting, their items should just be purged from the list.

4) Maybe simple enough then to keep the current list going as is, with perhaps a simple distinct font color for PIFs not requiring a return. Could get more complicated if some offerings are mixed, i.e., with one item in the group requiring a PIF and another not requiring.

5) 1 year cutoff for non movers seems plenty long (if not too long). Still, we do need to give items a fair run.

This is where the responsibility of poster comes in to play. We need to think about the items we offer. They should not only have a fair equal market value (+/- a bit) but also be something that is of general interest, not simply a pocket dump or so specialized that only one or 2 people might ever be interested.
Usually we depend on the person accepting the PIF in exchange for his/her item to make the call. I'm not one to opt for decision by committee but sometime the exchange is inadequate - equal dollar value notwithstanding. It might be a good idea to write up a sticky of guidelines that can be attached at the top of the list. PIF works pretty damn great as it is but it could be
tweaked.

I can't thank JP JupiterPaladin JupiterPaladin (and others before) enough, for their dedication and effort on our behalf. I know it is more work than we suspect.

6) I think there is more to say on the subject but as it does not come to mind, I will stop now :rolleyes: :D

Ray

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back