1. Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win an Ontario Knives Spec Plus SP8 Machete Survival Knife & Ka-Bar Dozier Folding Hunter, , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!

Be sure to read the rules before entering, then help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread! Entries close at midnight, Saturday Sept 7!

Once the entries close, we'll live stream the drawing on Sunday, Sept 8 at 5PM Eastern. Tune in to our YouTube channel TheRealBladeForums for a chance to win bonus prizes!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

Pay it forward. Yes were doing this again.

Discussion in 'General Knife Discussion' started by BellaBlades, May 9, 2018.

1. RayseM

RayseM Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 18, 2010
    Good will is certainly a huge part of this thread, still, having stuff drop off to NO PIF REQUIRED seems counterintuitive and more work for Jupiter P. Probably best to just let the items disappear after 3 or 4 months rather than having them take on a new status. Contacting that user and asking for a fair substitution is a good 1st step, IMHO, though admittedly might, as often as not, not give any satisfactory results. At that point just calling it done might be the best course.

Perhaps it is time to evaluate the TYPE of acceptable offerings - so that I (for example) don't get a great "free" PUUKKO and then never need to give anything back because the "signed big foot coffee mug" and the "well used WWII canteen and mess kit" that I offered in return for the puukko never attracted a counter offer. A guideline sticky with some examples of good and unacceptable might help to mitigate the number of items languishing in the no love section. I'd be happy to write something up if you all think this idea has merit. If so, I would then ask for some ideas/examples - specifics or general concepts - sent to me by PM or email. Maybe JP @JupiterPaladin, will say unnecessary. OK then. :thumbsup:

Good discussion to be having.

Ray

2. Monofletch

Monofletch Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 14, 2010
    What about using a :thumbsup: emoji (or one of them) when you post something that doesn’t require a return PIF? At least some of the smaller, less expensive items.

JupiterPaladin likes this.
  3. JupiterPaladin

JupiterPaladin Gold Member Gold Member

May 4, 2016
    Current Items up for grabs - Please let me know if there are any errors :)

Items with the :thumbsup: do not require a return PiF!

1. Dive knife & Tin Knife @rob308 #741
    2. Le Thiers & Wenger @rob308 #765
    3. Desantis Cozy right hand holster for Springfield XDS 3.3 @PWatkins #1242
    4. CRKT Tighe @dkb45 #1246
    5. Tighe Rod @T.L.E. Sharp #1514 :thumbsup:
    6. Kershaw Ferrite @Earl1 #1495 :thumbsup:
    7. Custom CF & Green G10 scale for Zt562 @Impulse600 #1556
    8. Android Tattooed Tiger 50mm automatic watch @Methuselah #1895
    9. Block of Ebony Wood @needler420 #2003 & 2023
    10. Small Maxpedition bag, Warne quick release scope mounts, Amazon Firestick, and Iron Bull 2.5 fat grips @WillB #2115
    11. G. Sakai Archestral 154cm @joeldworkin307 #2117
    12. Cold Steel battle shades @StrangeDaze #2188 :thumbsup:
    13. Remington Bullet Knife 1178 @Canvsbk #2358
    14. Rough Rider Razor Trapper @19-3ben #2475
    15. Schrade Old Timer 60T USA, Benchmade 510, Benchmade Cub Tanto @21bangbang #3608
    16. Boker Arbolito @dsalazar pic #2514 post #3034
    17. Bestech Hornet @shovelhead69 #3060
    18. Safariland Lvl3 Glock 17/22 holster @Ryan Thompson #3255
    19. Victorinox Day Packer, CRKT Sidehawg 3, Rough Rider Trapper and 5 blade Sowbelly Stockman @JupiterPaladin #3331 :thumbsup:
    20. Hen & Rooster HR692, Steel Warrior SW105TG @Greg L. Gearhart #3495
    21. Invicta 8926 Pro Diver @Chris Still #3554
    22. CRKT Stiff Kiss, Gerber Profile fixed, Kershaw Dune, Bear Ops CC400B, Ronson lighter, Aker holster for Sig p239 fit my p229 but tight, 20 inch and 14 inch baton, Micromatic Keg Tap, 2 Barlows, Camillus USA Electrician. @dsalazar #3619
    23. Lansky variety pack @l1ranger #3634
    24. Spy Voltaire sunglasses @jaseman #3691 :thumbsup:
    25. Sog Field Pup 7cr17mov @Fixall #3756
    26. CRKT Fossil @Brhowser87 #3962
    27. Rough Rider single blade Barlow @bachman44 #4178
    28. Honshu Push Dagger @Daedric Panther #4314
    29. Camillus Medium Stockman @kamagong #4365
    30. Case Stockman @stevekolt #4448
    31. Buck Cadet Stockman @sabre cat #4451 :thumbsup:
    32. Gerber Wingtip, Gerber Mullet, Boker Lil friend @Eric black #4473 :thumbsup:
    33. Spot in reserve line to buy Grimmsmo Norseman @Baggins #4520
    34. Leatherman Fuse stainless @Bellasdaddy #4569
    35. Swiss Army Cyber Tool M32 @Yimes #4701
    36. Schrade Dead Man's Trapper @RoachBelly44 #4722
    37. Buck 55 @Earl1 #4730
    38. Beretta Trident @WValtakis #4743
    39. KoA Cub Bear @bikerector #4777
    40. Kershaw Shuffle @Poriggity #4821
    41. Buck 110 & Timex Expedition @Brhowser87 #4864
    42. Miyota 821A Watch @cchu518 #4938
    43. Spyderco Tenacious @Sharp & Fiery #4989
    44. Kizer Sovereign @RayseM #5014
    45. Kershaw Whirlwind @Velitrius #5030
    46. J. Hue custom handle scale bocks @T.L.E. Sharp #5036 :thumbsup:
    47. Fallkniven PXLwh @gazz98 #5202
    48. Llandi Fixed Blade @fishiker #5298
    49. Benchmade Griptillian H2O N680 @Yimes #5332
    50. Spyderco Kiwi @Deinos #5377
    51. Loveless Hunter & Civivi Durus @Ryan Thompson #5391
    52. Buck Protege 450BK & Mora Companion Stainless @RoachBelly44 #5405
    53. SOG Toolclip @chuck4570 #5427 :thumbsup:
    54. Buck Bantam 286 camo @atdegs #5439
    55. Kabar BK23 @StrangeDaze #5440
    56. Kabar spork, kabar bottle opener, 2 blocks of soapstone & 1 bow drill kit @StrangeDaze #5459
    57. Cold Steel Immortal @Brhowser87 #5507

Last edited: Sep 19, 2019
    atdegs, woodysone and WValtakis like this.
  4. StrangeDaze

StrangeDaze Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 20, 2016
    JupiterPaladin likes this.
  5. jaseman

jaseman Basic Member Basic Member

Jul 28, 2016
    I think @RayseM makes a good point. It might be better to just let things eventually fall off the list. If the user is active in this thread, chances are they would be willing to swap it out for another item (if they have one) or let it go as a no PIF. It’s the PIF’s from inactive users that will really help clean up the list initially.

I also don’t mind setting some guidelines on acceptable PIF’s, as long as they’re not too hard-and-fast. I’ve seen some stuff get claimed that kinda surprised me a little, while loads of knives go untouched. So you never know what someone might want. Maybe it just needs to be a “common sense, and no junk” clause...

JupiterPaladin, Deinos and RayseM like this.
  6. RayseM

Feb 18, 2010
    You are right @jaseman - "you never know" what will excite the next guy. :rolleyes: Common sense - no pocket dumps - if you don't want it and just looking to unload why would anyone else want it? Doesn't hurt to have a few basic guidelines as this PIF concept is uncommon and not always obvious.

I'll be shipping the Kizer Sovereign tomorrow @StrangeDaze & @JupiterPaladin

Ray

7. Brhowser87

Brhowser87 Basic Member Basic Member

Aug 3, 2016
    @JupiterPaladin me and @Eric black worked out a thing.
    I'm gonna throw the cold steel immortal back into the mix and claim his artisan Cutlery.

He was very clear that the values were mismatched but because chip sent it to me with no pif required I just want it to go to someone who will use it. It's a great knife it just doesn't fit my needs. But I'm extremely glad I got to experience it. Thanks to chip.

8. JupiterPaladin

May 4, 2016
    Eric black and WValtakis like this.
  9. Brhowser87

Aug 3, 2016
    To me that's the only way that makes sense. The people I've delt with in this thread make it extremely easy to wanna pass on good karma. I'm not gonna profit from something that was passed to me on good faith. Thanks to Eric I'm getting to try another cool knife while putting this one into the hands of someone who will use it.

I think somebody mentioned earlier about people being scared or whatever to join us. I think it's more people being embarrassed (foR lack of a better term) or they don't know how things are done. They might also think that not anybody can just jump in. So maybe a little blurb welcoming people and some guidelines would be a good idea.

10. RayseM

Feb 18, 2010
    @needler420 - I'll take the block of ebony off the list if you still want to pass it on.

9. Block of Ebony Wood @needler420 #2003 & 2023

Your PM box is full - but mine isn't. ;) I'll find something to PIF for the ebony.

Thanks. Ray

11. cchu518

cchu518 Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 6, 2013
    It could be a hoarder/collector mentality too as well. Like I paid X for this knife will I get that in return?

Versus the reality is I paid X for this knife and I haven't touched it since the day I bought it it's sitting in my drawer and on paper this knife is the shizzzles. But alas it's just not for me...

I'm trying to stop the hoarder in me and practice some let it go philosophy. So if I'm not using something I'm trying to not place a value on it anymore. I'd rather have a cheaper edc or more expensive knife that I actually use vs having it just sit.

Of course this often triggers mass buying and selling in and of itself, lmao. I think i recently swapped out 4 guitars in the last year trying to find the perfect 3 combo guitar set for my likes. I'm almost there though!

Last edited: Sep 19, 2019
  12. woodysone

woodysone Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 21, 2005
    I’m right there with you Sir. I’d rather try to pass on something rather then just know it’s there collecting dust, the appeal of having it has worn off, maybe some good “karma” is in order.

13. Deinos

Deinos Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 7, 2016

14. Brhowser87

Aug 3, 2016
    I was the same way before I started in this thread. It took me a long time to figure out which knife I was going to put up when in reality I have alot I don't use. And it's more then just knives, I buy plastic cases for no reason also.:confused::oops::oops::D

woodysone and JupiterPaladin like this.
  15. JupiterPaladin

May 4, 2016
    I know this is an older offering, but do you have a pic of this? I know a few people that jumped on the other one that was offered ;)

woodysone likes this.
  16. woodysone

woodysone Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 21, 2005
    I kind of like flashlights, I think there is one in every room in this house? I think we all have fetishes.:oops::p

Brhowser87, WValtakis and RayseM like this.
  17. Deinos

Deinos Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 7, 2016
    For me it is bags and maxpedition gear at the moment... followed closely by small fixed blades (as you all can attest...I'm sick guys... I need help :eek::oops::D)

18. RayseM

Feb 18, 2010
    Me too - FLASHLIGHTS & KNIVES :) All my flashlights except one are modded by Vinh of SkyLumen.
    Love the man - love the flashlights. :thumbsup:

Ray

woodysone likes this.
  19. chuck4570

chuck4570 Basic Member Basic Member

Aug 21, 2010
    Knives, guns, flashlights, Zippo’s, pens, viewmater reels, and STUFF, why not?

20. atdegs

atdegs Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 17, 2019
    How has nobody mentioned watches yet?

woodysone, arrowhd and Brhowser87 like this.