1. Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win an Ontario Knives Spec Plus SP8 Machete Survival Knife & Ka-Bar Dozier Folding Hunter, , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!

Be sure to read the rules before entering, then help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread! Entries close at midnight, Saturday Sept 7!

Once the entries close, we'll live stream the drawing on Sunday, Sept 8 at 5PM Eastern. Tune in to our YouTube channel TheRealBladeForums for a chance to win bonus prizes!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

Pay it forward. Yes were doing this again.

Discussion in 'General Knife Discussion' started by BellaBlades, May 9, 2018.

1. Deinos

Deinos Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 7, 2016
    Thanks all!

2. bikerector

bikerector Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 16, 2016
    I will echo Deinos point to a degree, Sandvik steel is not a bad steel but it is amazingly inexpensive, so a pricey knife in Sandvik, or even AEB-L for that matter, means it needs to be very good in other categories, like design and worksmanship.

Deinos, Brhowser87, cchu518 and 3 others like this.
  3. cchu518

cchu518 Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 6, 2013
    I gotta say I can't stand carbon fiber, but Southern Grind did manage to contour their CF grips to be super grippy. They make a very compelling knife. It was just competing at the time against me trying to collect PM2s, Millis and Blurs in new sprint runs at the time.

Take a Kershaw Blur in Sandvik and profile the edge down to 30 degrees, it becomes a really compelling midsize EDC. No better or worse than the Elmax version with the same edge reprofile in terms of regular everyday use. Out of those 4 I ended preferring the Blur over any of the other ones. I liked the Blur over the Domino and Southard too, the only knives at the time that I preferred over those other ones were the Delica and Endura. I think the Southard and Sebenzas that I had were when I started to backslide back to regular "classic" budget friendly folders. There was just that law of diminishing returns happening for me bc I liked the format of the cheaper knives better than the expensive ones.

Speaking of Sandvik and formats check this out! @Deinos, so I loved the Kizer Feist you sent me. But I ended up having 4 or 5 EDCs in the exact same size as the Feist. And the other ones beat it out. I actually am planning on getting the Feist with the holes at some point. I'm a total sucker for anything Tom Mayo looking.

I was chatting with Eric about putting the Feist back in the pif pool, but he said that it was high on his to check out list. So he sent me this Real Steel Metamorphosis (top flipper) in Sandvik and an Urban in AEB-L as a swap. Eric ending up loving the Feist in s35v and I am really digging this Metamorphosis. It's a big knife but in slim carry format! I don't have anything in its size. It reminds me of the Kershaw Higonokami steak knife.

It's in sandvik and that's totally ok although with the caveat that it ain't no $250 knife! Fit and finish is going to have be magnifico for me to buy a sandvik knife in that format despite the qualities of how tough 14c is!

[​IMG]

GasMan1, arrowhd, Eric black and 6 others like this.
  4. RayseM

RayseM Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 18, 2010
    ^ Nice looking too @cchu518 :thumbsup: Not unlike this Extrema Ratio Resolza I picked up here from @WValtakis - also a slim carry, elegant slicer.

5-7/8" folded with a 4-1/4" - Not an EDC but I love using it. :)

Screenshot_20190907-055502_Gallery.jpg

Ray

COSMO, WValtakis, Deinos and 4 others like this.
  5. Deinos

Feb 7, 2016
    Good info and that is a very sexy looking blade!

woodysone likes this.
  6. bikerector

Nov 16, 2016
    That's one I keep going back and forth on... because I have too many folders already and I've starting loving traditionals and fixed blades more often these days. But, I always like trying new stuff, maybe if a good deal comes along. I already have a boker urban trapper I don't use so it's unlikely the metamorph would see much pocket time too, but it looks like fun.

Deinos, chuck4570 and woodysone like this.
  7. cchu518

Mar 6, 2013
    I got the Urban trapper in cocobolo but the scales were shoddy and it came gritty as all heck! Wish I had gotten the original milled version. It might have been too thin for me though which is why I ended up loving and keeping the Dogtooth which fits better in hand than the Urban trapper did.

Deinos, woodysone and chuck4570 like this.
  8. cchu518

Mar 6, 2013
    That one looks super fun definitely not a NYC EDC unless you're running around with the Sharks or the Jets!

[​IMG]

arrowhd, RayseM, woodysone and 2 others like this.
  9. PirateSeulb

PirateSeulb Gold Member Gold Member

Jun 6, 2017
    I am catching up on this thread and while it seems mostly over I had some things to note on the growing list and how to manage it.
    I have an issue with this as the black thumbs up outline is nearly invisible if you use the dark theme like I do besides that aspect I don't have an issue with denoting "No PiF Required" with a simple icon.

For the rest I think more of a shift in the general rules/guidelines of the thread would help and one being that you are expected to update your offerings if they are not getting any attention or what ever. I would wonder if we ever did drop peoples PiF from the list should their names be kept in a list as owing a PiF just to keep anyone who went inactive from ever coming to claim another item while having a dead PiF.

More on track to the thread I hope to see some more cool offerings hopefully I can get settled back in and participate in the future.

Deinos and woodysone like this.
  10. sabre cat

sabre cat Basic Member Basic Member

Jul 4, 2014
    Personally, I have a problem with us just dropping a PIF. That PIF has been put in place by someone else. What gives us the right to make that decision?

Moving a PIF to a secondary listing if it’s been an in active for six months or maybe a year is a good idea. That would give us a short, up-to-date primary listing. The secondary listing could be the older PIFs.

Anything on the secondary list could be moved back to the main list at the request of the individual that originally posted the item.

Deinos likes this.
  11. PirateSeulb

Jun 6, 2017
    @sabre cat I am not sure we should either but just putting my two cents on the idea of it since it was brought up but I think the general consensus had already been against removing them entirely.

Neko2 and Deinos like this.
  12. Deinos

Feb 7, 2016
    Appears that the reason for dropping them is the technical limitations of a post (character limit). Only fix for that would be creating an "archive post" that you link to with "dead PiF's" (similar to linking a PiF to its post from the list like we do now). Not sure it is worth the effort, tbh.

13. Deinos

Feb 7, 2016
    :eek::eek::eek: Real Steel G5 Metamorph Front Flipper Knife Marble CF (3.5" M390) BHQ Exclusive

How does that one flip vs the Feist I PiF'd you? Had a ton of trouble with the feist... so want to make sure it isn't a fool's errand picking this one up if it is really similar...

14. bikerector

Nov 16, 2016
    Archive post would be interesting, but would it ever really see any traffic? The problem I see with a secondary list is that it's even more likely that it would sit for eternity and is just taking up space.

Ideally, stalled PIF's would get refreshed somehow so that something, at some point, is claimed.

I do sort of like @PirateSeulb's idea of a "owes a PIF before allowed to claim another." But again, managing that becomes more work than it's worth given the purpose of this thread, IMO.

The primary goals we were looking at were:
    1. keeping current offerings limited to actual current and available offerings
    2. simplicity of list maintenance and management
    3. keeping the list under the hard limit of character per post restrictions (limits in post sizes)

Accountability was a sacrifice of these priorities, at least as I see it currently and based on the discussions earlier this week.

Deinos likes this.
  15. Deinos

Feb 7, 2016
    I think the archive would appease those not wanting to see stale/inactive PiF's removed. As far as anyone seeing the traffic, they won't see it if it gets dropped either. And keeping note of it makes maintenance easier (e.g. check date of earlier PiF's at top of list, if moldy, move it to edited saved list, which is already linked at bottom of list).

For Example:
    PiF list:
    etc.
    ================
    DoA PiF's Archive Link

Then maintainer just clicks on that, hits edit, slides the musty old PiF in. People that return can say "@JupiterPaladin (or current maintainer at that point) Hey, move my thing back, update it, etc." Just depends on how much extra time/effort that tacks on, and whether or not it is worth it. Seems trivial in my mind after the initial update, but... I am also not the one currently maintaining the list, so appearances might be(and often are) deceiving:D. @JupiterPaladin
    and past maintainers have done an excellent job, and I am not about adding a ton more work to someone's generous volunteer work.

bikerector likes this.
  16. cchu518

Mar 6, 2013
    The Metamorphosis 2 has textured alum handles and is very grippy. It's easier IMHO as the blade is running on very smooth roller bearings in presuming.

The pressure required to engage the blade to flip is much lighter plus the added purchase of the longer scale.

Deinos likes this.
  17. PirateSeulb

Jun 6, 2017
    I would put the "dead" PiF link at the top and bottom of the list with a message along the lines of "Please check our old listings for more potential offerings". The other option I can think of would be putting a link to an externally hosted document ie a google docs spreadsheet with the list.

Deinos likes this.
  18. JupiterPaladin

JupiterPaladin Gold Member Gold Member

May 4, 2016
    My main goal was actually to make sure if something is on the list and somebody is interested, the item should be available and the user active enough to respond. Other than that I would still keep notes on defunct PiF's removed. As some may notice I've saved character count by removing the links to the oldest listings. They are nice but not required.

Deinos, bikerector and WValtakis like this.
  19. Brhowser87

Brhowser87 Basic Member Basic Member

Aug 3, 2016
    Deinos and WValtakis like this.
  20. WValtakis

WValtakis Hand Engraving, Anodizing and Embellishment Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

May 29, 2004
    I've eyeballed the Metamorph a few times, definitely my thin slicey style;)

Deinos likes this.