Pay it forward. Yes we're doing this again.

Should we close the Pay It Forward thread?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Quick question, has the general premise that items gained through the generosity of others in this thread should not show up on the exchange changed and I missed it?
General decorum is you return it to the great PiF river if it didn't work out for you and try something else on for size.

I would say it's frowned upon, but I've seen stuff I pifed end up on the exchange.

Edit: at the end of the day though, it's now their property

Glad I haven't noticed it... :(

Edit to account for J J-RAY1989 's edit :D:

This is true... really torn about it... I mean... if I trade a nice PM2 for a nice BM940... less sting... but if someone trades 2 items that are less likely to move on the exchange and converts the generous PiF into cash... seems like really bad form...

My opinion is that if it’s a no PIF required then I would frown upon it. If you put something of like value up in return then it is yours and you can do with it what you like.

I might be wrong so feel free to enlighten me.

My opinion is that if it’s a no PIF required then I would frown upon it. If you put something of like value up in return then it is yours and you can do with it what you like.

Agreed... a lot of variables. I know there have been times when a PiF hasn't quite been to the meets or exceeds criteria... but in the sense of generosity... people have let it pass.

I would add to this but just my thought. If I have something I paid 100 for a year ago but I put it on pif for a different item. It would seem like it would be your item. But how you mention no pif required or 2 budgets for one really nice one then it seems like that be bad.
You can’t un-toast the toast.

JupiterPaladin JupiterPaladin , bikerector bikerector is claiming the Milwaukee tool kit, he won't be able to post his offering until later on.

JupiterPaladin JupiterPaladin in return for the Milwaukee tools, I'm offer a used spyderco Lum tanto in laminated HAP40 with a copper patina put on by the previous owner. The blade is off-center which was really common on these. Jade G10 handles.

wbbCe2El.jpg

O3XRwf0l.jpg

xK2hzeNl.jpg

Thanks for the responses. Disappointing when it happens with a pretty popular item here but to each his own I suppose...‍♂️
Oh god... it wasn't the drover was it??? I didn't even have a chance to say "I'll take it"!!! :(
----------------------
Edit to say I know sbh06 sbh06 Yimes Yimes loves the s*** out of that Drover. Running, inside joke is all ;)
---------------------
Edit numero dos ... because I ****ed up who got it :D

Last edited:
Quick question, has the general premise that items gained through the generosity of others in this thread should not show up on the exchange changed and I missed it?

I would say it's frowned upon, but I've seen stuff I pifed end up on the exchange.

Edit: at the end of the day though, it's now their property

It's frowned upon and discouraged, generally. Trading has been deemed much more acceptable than selling, but it is ultimately the person's property once they've claimed it and it is completely within their right to do so. I suppose it would also be poor form for someone who unexpectedly needed some extra cash and us to hold them hostage to the PIF guidelines or preferences.

My 2$ sbh06 sbh06 is that items gained from PIF should not be FLIPPED - meaning resold at higher $$s than the counter offer in the original PIF. The item does become "YOURS" to do with as you like, after all.

Still, there is certainly the potential for scoring a real fine knife on PIF for close to little of what it is really worth. There is an abundance of generosity in the PIF (which I, for one, cannot begin to match :() which should not be exploited. That is just super bad karma. Would be very bad form indeed to be mining PIF generosity for selling for profits especially X 100 when so many recent PIFs require nothing in return. bikerector bikerector makes a good point in his post above.

Still, at the end of the day if you found a PIF knife worth $ 200 in the real world but you offered $ 130.00 worth of goods and your offer was accepted. I can't see why anyone would object to you selling the knife for $120.00 or $130.00 on the exchange. You might not see anything in the PIF thread for months and months that would move you to toss it back in. Not really fair for anyone to expect that they should be next in line for it in a PIF.

Again, my 2¢

Ray

Last edited:
Now - JupiterPaladin JupiterPaladin , after discussion with @razor-edge-knives I will gladly accept the KIZER SPLINTER in exchange for this 11-1/2" - 12oz, Katunje Khukri from HI.

This is a little Khuk which can serve to slice up squash or turkeys or find itself useful in the garden or camping. Pretty fine small kindling knife. Carries lightly on the belt.

Lightly used. Original edge. Sharp but not air bleeding by any stretch. Never used for any chopping. I'll ship anywhere, though might ask for some help if being sent too far away ;)

Thanks again to PIF.

Ray

11.5-inch-12-ounce-my-special-Katunje-Knife.jpg

Maybe we should move this to the other thread so as not to clog up the PIF. I have some thoughts.

And with that said...

I claimed a no PIF Fighter from @David Mary But I am going to PIF a very lightly used (actually carried some but not used) SAK Alox Minichamp with an aftermarket dangler clip.

No PIF required.

649A61BB-DFE3-48FF-B7CD-6CEE011D7B38.jpeg

My 2$ sbh06 sbh06 is that items gained from PIF should not be FLIPPED - meaning resold at higher $$s than the counter offer in the original PIF. The item does become "YOURS" to do with as you like after all.

Still, there is certainly the potential for scoring a real fine knife on PIF for close to little of what it is really worth. There is an abundance of generosity in the PIF (which I, for one, cannot being to match :() which should not be exploited. That is just super bad karma. Would be very bad form indeed to be mining PIF generosity for selling for profits especially X 100 when so many recent PIFs require nothing in return. bikerector bikerector makes a good point in his post above.

Still, at the end of the day if you found a PIF knife worth $ 200 in the real world but you offered $ 130.00 worth of goods and your offer was accepted. I can't see why anyone would object to you selling the knife for $120.00 or $130.00 on the exchange. You might not see anything in the PIF thread for months and months that would move you to toss it back in. Not really fair for anyone to expect that they should be next in line for it in a PIF.

Again, my 2¢

Ray

I'm also very interested to know who sold what to see if it was worth mentioning. If you are scooping up nice stuff free and clear just to sell, that is totally against the spirit of this thread. sbh06 sbh06 J J-RAY1989 you can PM me examples just curious to see what's up.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back