Pay it forward. Yes we're doing this again.

Discussion in 'General Knife Discussion' started by BellaBlades, May 9, 2018.

Should we close the Pay It Forward thread?

Poll closed Nov 6, 2019.
  1. Yes , this thing is out of control!

20.6%
  2. No , we can control ourselves...

79.4%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Markisbear

Markisbear

Apr 8, 2019
    What's it taste like,if u dont mind me asking I never tried it.

2. dsalazar

dsalazar

Jun 22, 2017
    Keep in mind we have seen video game systems, tools, sunglasses, watches, a safari vest, ar15 mags, flashlights. I may be missing some things. Who knows I may be feeling like a smoke n a pancake

atdegs likes this.
  3. sabre cat

sabre cat Basic Member Basic Member

Jul 4, 2014
    Finally!

It really is a nice little folder.
    I think you will enjoy it.

Now, I have to figure out where I put it. It might be a while before I
    find it and ship it.

Worldwatcher and Coyja like this.
  4. Coyja

Coyja

Nov 7, 2009
    Smokey? LOL, no really, pipe leaf is all over the place in terms of flavor.
    Not like vape flavor, but rich and grassy, sweet and spicy, all depends on the mix and if there is any "topping" (aka flavor, usually vanilla, rum, etc).
    Thats a really long conversation to discuss, but my favorite is just straight red Virginia thats been aged and/or stoved (heated).
    Makes cigarettes taste like the ash tray, somehow actually worse than they already are.
    If you smoked cigs and tried real pipe leaf, you'd be shocked at the difference.

5. Deinos

Deinos Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 7, 2016
    That hits at the heart of it. The concept is going to mean different things to different people. Like many other areas of life, motives abound.

6. dsalazar

dsalazar

Jun 22, 2017
    I love me some cigars and a glass of rum and not that captain Morgan crap either.

jaseman, woodysone and Coyja like this.
  7. Deinos

Deinos Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 7, 2016
    I am guilty of drinking "bad rum" according to connoisseurs... I actually enjoy Bumbu :D Far more picky about my bourbon, but try not to be too much so with other people... different strokes and such. Agreed on the Cap... only belongs in Coke or Cider:thumbsup:

woodysone likes this.
  8. cchu518

cchu518 Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 6, 2013
    The philosophical issue at hand is if the thread can create a self-perpetuating cycle of good will. It's not about entitlement. There are no rules or discussion about if the PIF can happen in perpetuity. A solid PIF often generates the impulse to provide another good deed or in this case an object to another person. It's a thoughtful action.

This isn't always the case with what gets PIF'd. Some people are not liking that. That's the issues that some ppl are having not the actual good deed itself.

Neko2, mycough, Sharp & Fiery and 2 others like this.
  9. gazz98

gazz98 Gold Member Gold Member

Sep 3, 2008
    Well, the PIF talking shop thread is officially closed. I'm not sure what has happened as a semi lurker to these threads but it might be time to shut down the thread and let everyone cool off.

For the record, I claimed one folder (BM) and sent out a folder (Fallkniven).

10. atdegs

atdegs Gold Member Gold Member Basic Member

Jul 17, 2019
    I'm a big fan of adults acting like adults, rather than having to take institutional steps to allow them to pause and remember they're a grown up. That doesn't mean things always worth that way, but I would sure hope people here could figure it out.

Sharp & Fiery, woodysone and Deinos like this.
  11. Quiet

Quiet "That guy" Platinum Member

Oct 11, 2013
    I'm not going to have to repost my write-up from the now-closed Shoptalk thread, am I? :) The issue remains the same. This thread actually seemed like it had that "no expectations good will" at the beginning. I know I came in and called this a swap meet even then, and apologized for the tone I took at that time. However, at some point, there started to be values put on things (like what usually happens at a swap meet) because some advantage was taken by low post count people, and then a bunch of new people jumped in because they saw further advantage they could take. This is usually the death knell of threads like these. I would daresay this thread has outlasted the normal lifespan of this sort of thing. Good or bad? I'm not a contributor (nor a taker), so it's not for me to say. You'll notice that I didn't even vote in the poll.

12. danbot

danbot Gold Member Gold Member

Oct 31, 2009
    No good deed goes unpunished.

13. woodysone

woodysone Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 21, 2005
    Or, do unto others as you would like others to do to you, or something like that.

Zacboy7, mycough, bikerector and 5 others like this.
  14. Markisbear

Markisbear

Apr 8, 2019
    Would it be better if there was 2 different pages,one for the buget pifers,and one for the people who has a little bit better stuff to give.and if someone wants to be nice and karma pif,or just no pif back.they can choose , which page to do so. and there can be 1 talk room for everyone to remain family,or atlease friends

Zacboy7 and mycough like this.
  15. cchu518

cchu518 Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 6, 2013
    I just wouldn't judge it that way. As the thread has done more positive then good in terms of letting people try out knives and have fun. It wasn't a no expectation of good will although that is one of the many options of the pif, all that has happened has happened organically which makes it so interesting its like Lord of the Flies in some ways, lol.

It has always started casually like I'm not using this knife I'm going to put it up and see if someone else may want to use it. Fortunately or unfortunately ppl are from all walks of life and sometimes some people have higher end stuff that they happen to not be using. Some folks are putting up very nice knives that give others the chance to perhaps try out a higher priced knife. The possibility here is that it might not get reciproacted so the only thing that I can say is if its your knife and you can say no to someone's offer and if they don't like it then that's on them.

At the end of the day it's your stuff and no one can tell you what to do with your stuff.

Zacboy7, mycough and Deinos like this.
  16. Poriggity

Poriggity

Sep 15, 2018
    Thank you sir. Take your time. PM sent with address.

17. sabre cat

sabre cat Basic Member Basic Member

Jul 4, 2014
    Maybe. The neat thing is how long this thread has lasted and I am sure that we will have another six months or a year after this one stops.

And, I think we should have another. There is a kindness in these PIF threads that is not found anywhere else in BF.com.

I really would like to see this stay active until summer. This would give people an outlet to PIF items after the holidays and time to try the new items they received.

I must admit that this PIF thread has been very good to me (like all PIF threads). There have been items acquired that I never could afford or justify. But, the two best things that I have received have been new friendships and random acts of kindness from complete strangers.

Hopefully, I have been able to offer the same acts and friendship
    To some of you.

Last edited: Nov 6, 2019
  18. Makael

Makael KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Platinum Member

Oct 17, 2015
    With that thread closed this one will fill up again with chatter.

bikerector likes this.
  19. danbot

danbot Gold Member Gold Member

Oct 31, 2009
    Maybe there should be a "PIF Beefs" thread somewhere on the forums where the members who are more prone to profanity laced rants could go to vent?

20. LEGION 12

LEGION 12 Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 8, 2009
    Done .

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.